300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELS Discharge on Application

Right, looking for a bit of insight. January, 2012 I was in Marine Corps boot camp. Halfway through I became ill and upon being evaluated, I was discharged. Being that I was enlisted for under 90 days, I wasn't eligible for a "categorized" discharge (that is, honorable, dishonorable, general under honorable, etc.). Instead, my discharge comes up as an "entry level separation". Will this have negative repercussions when my investigator sees this on my APD5? Since I was discharged from the Marines, I tried reenlisting. Unfortunately, no medical waivers were being accepted at the time, so I went ahead and redeemed myself by enlisting in the Army. I successfully obtained a medical waiver (a Department of Defense endorsed doctor evaluated me and determined I was good to go), went on to boot camp and advanced individual training, graduated both, and became a Soldier. I have no negative counselings, article 15s, court martials, you name it. Completely squared away.

Thanks for anyone who could share their thoughts, it'd be much appreciated.
    "Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile."

Absolutely not an issue. Show them your army dd214 and that's that. Your bringing too many problems into the mix that are not necessary.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
      Absolutely not an issue. Show them your army dd214 and that's that. Your bringing too many problems into the mix that are not necessary.
      Thanks for the help. So along with the Army, I should I still list the Marine Corps as part of my service history and put "ELS" in the type of discharge?
      Last edited by honestabels; 10-11-2014, 01:22 PM. Reason: typo.
      "Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile."

Comment

Re read what I posted.
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
          Re read what I posted.
          I don't have a DD214 from the Army since I'm still in as a reservist. I'm going to assume that I should leave the Marine Corps out despite it asking me to list all service history and if I received any kind of discharge that wasn't honorable?

Comment

I would not leave anything out. If you leave it out on an application and the topic gets brought up during a polygraph then it looks like you are hiding something. Tell them about it all. When they see that the medical discharge was followed by army enlistment and being a soldier for X amount of years then the marine discharge will probably not matter. The fact that you were discharged medically but then still wanted to serve so joined the army and succeeded tells me a lot about your character. The background investigater would rather know about it before hand then find out about it later. Just my 2 cents.
            What Is A Veteran?
            A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Your fingerprint check will show the enlistment. Your Reserve enlistment dumps the ELS issue from a basic standpoint. Put them ALL down.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasmblack View Post
                I would not leave anything out. If you leave it out on an application and the topic gets brought up during a polygraph then it looks like you are hiding something. Tell them about it all. When they see that the medical discharge was followed by army enlistment and being a soldier for X amount of years then the marine discharge will probably not matter. The fact that you were discharged medically but then still wanted to serve so joined the army and succeeded tells me a lot about your character. The background investigater would rather know about it before hand then find out about it later. Just my 2 cents.
                Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                Your fingerprint check will show the enlistment. Your Reserve enlistment dumps the ELS issue from a basic standpoint. Put them ALL down.
                Thanks for the help guys. I made sure I put it down on the application.

Also, one last thing. I have no connection whatsoever with the majority of my relatives. None of us are on good terms and haven't been for the last couple of decades. I've done all the research possible and put down whatever information I could gather on them.. asked my mother and grandparents (who are the only ones I have known), searched through phone books, social networks, and even tried looking through a family tree website. That said, I had to put N/A several times as Im unable to get home addresses, phone numbers, and work info on some of them. Will my BI look negatively at this?

Comment

Originally posted by honestabels View Post
                  thanks for the help guys. I made sure i put it down on the application.

Also, one last thing. I have no connection whatsoever with the majority of my relatives. None of us are on good terms and haven't been for the last couple of decades. I've done all the research possible and put down whatever information i could gather on them.. Asked my mother and grandparents (who are the only ones i have known), searched through phone books, social networks, and even tried looking through a family tree website. That said, i had to put n/a several times as im unable to get home addresses, phone numbers, and work info on some of them. Will my bi look negatively at this?
                  do yourself a favor, ask the bi and be guided by either him/her. Evryone is giving you an opinion. Ask the person that counts and you will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by wo 150 View Post
                    do yourself a favor, ask the bi and be guided by either him/her. Evryone is giving you an opinion. Ask the person that counts and you will be fine
                    That would be the logical thing to do if I actually had been assigned a BI. Being that I'm only at the APD stage, I'm going based off of instructions and logic. Sometimes it's better to ask questions and get other people's thoughts (especially if they had been through the process already) that could potentially prevent you from screwing yourself later on.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4588 users online. 257 members and 4331 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X