300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by krull View Post
    I left DOC because you have to worry more about your coworker than you do about the crooks(inmates), the supervisors are trash and the whole department sucks. The department finds it easier to burn the officer(scapegoat for everything) than try to find a way to help him/her. The crooks have more rights than the co's and will have even now that there is a deal with the feds.

The coworkers are lazy, not only they don't do their job the sometimes get in the way of you doing yours. The OT is off the hook, but it wasn't a major factor in my decision. I did not go to another agency but I am waiting, I didn't want DOC to tarnish my employment history, its too easy to get in trouble even if its not for your actions, its called "Tag your it"

As far as the inmates I cant say I had problems with them, they are there because of who they are so you don't expect much from them. The job sucks, morale is down and I don't see it going up because DOC is changing and will not be the way it was 10 - 20 years ago, that's what I heard.

I will not try to discourage anyone from trying this job out, to each his own but to me this job was a huge disappointment for me.

WOW!! I agree with you whole heartily. I worked there for a few years in the past then left for the same exact reasons. The job is just trash. They treat the MOS like crooks and the crooks like customers, not inmates. It's insane there.

Comment

• Originally posted by krull View Post
      I left DOC because you have to worry more about your coworker than you do about the crooks(inmates), the supervisors are trash and the whole department sucks. The department finds it easier to burn the officer(scapegoat for everything) than try to find a way to help him/her. The crooks have more rights than the co's and will have even now that there is a deal with the feds.

The coworkers are lazy, not only they don't do their job the sometimes get in the way of you doing yours. The OT is off the hook, but it wasn't a major factor in my decision. I did not go to another agency but I am waiting, I didn't want DOC to tarnish my employment history, its too easy to get in trouble even if its not for your actions, its called "Tag your it"

As far as the inmates I cant say I had problems with them, they are there because of who they are so you don't expect much from them. The job sucks, morale is down and I don't see it going up because DOC is changing and will not be the way it was 10 - 20 years ago, that's what I heard.

I will not try to discourage anyone from trying this job out, to each his own but to me this job was a huge disappointment for me.
      Everything you said about DOC is true...BUT its like everything else in life, its what you make of it. If you think NYPD, FDNY, TBTA etc.. dont have their own issue and problems, then you are sadly mistaken my friend. Everybody is going to have their own bad aspect. When life gives you lemon, you open a lemonade stand..lol..

The whole leaving DOC without having another job because of fear of "tarnishing" your record doesnt sound right at all buddy. Just being honest. How many years did you have on? because things do get alot better as you go along and theres tons of different unit and division beside the housing area. unless you had issues and had to resign in lieu of termination.

I got 6 years on and i can say, i never had to worry about tarnishing my record because i do my job the right way. no shortcut. never lost any days. If you do what youre suppose to do, then you have nothing to fear.. I seen alot of people get in trouble, and the majority of the times, they were at fault for something and ive seen plenty of people get clear of any wrong doing. The job has been very good to me and other people.

But being a nyc Correction Officer isnt an easy job and it requires alot of courage and testicular fortitude to do it every day. and alot of people arent cut out for it and theres no shame in that. But to leave without having another job doesnt sound right at all. most people leave when something else calls.. so just leave some wondering, maybe you werent going to make probation etc...

Comment

• Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
        Everything you said about DOC is true...BUT its like everything else in life, its what you make of it. If you think NYPD, FDNY, TBTA etc.. dont have their own issue and problems, then you are sadly mistaken my friend. Everybody is going to have their own bad aspect. When life gives you lemon, you open a lemonade stand..lol..

The whole leaving DOC without having another job because of fear of "tarnishing" your record doesnt sound right at all buddy. Just being honest. How many years did you have on? because things do get alot better as you go along and theres tons of different unit and division beside the housing area. unless you had issues and had to resign in lieu of termination.

I got 6 years on and i can say, i never had to worry about tarnishing my record because i do my job the right way. no shortcut. never lost any days. If you do what youre suppose to do, then you have nothing to fear.. I seen alot of people get in trouble, and the majority of the times, they were at fault for something and ive seen plenty of people get clear of any wrong doing. The job has been very good to me and other people.

But being a nyc Correction Officer isnt an easy job and it requires alot of courage and testicular fortitude to do it every day. and alot of people arent cut out for it and theres no shame in that. But to leave without having another job doesnt sound right at all. most people leave when something else calls.. so just leave some wondering, maybe you werent going to make probation etc...
        How is the new administration there? I was there under the horn administration, even then they were burning guys for ludicrous reasons. I do commend you for your service there. If you can work there, you can work almost anywhere. Be safe bro.

Comment

• Originally posted by CelticLEO View Post
          How is the new administration there? I was there under the horn administration, even then they were burning guys for ludicrous reasons. I do commend you for your service there. If you can work there, you can work almost anywhere. Be safe bro.
          Thank you. The new admistration isnt as bad as people are making it seem to be. They are trying to clean up the department culture from the pass 20 years. Of course people are going to complain because theyre used to things being done one way and many staffs are lazy and dont want to do anything. But things arent bad, its still the same game, just the rules change and now you have to play under the new rules, thats it. The hiring requirement has went up dramatically and people are getting fired alot now. However, the majority of the cases of termination is because there were some wrong doing by staffs. The kinda things that they used to "hold it down" doesnt fly anymore. that is why its always important to do your job the right way as much as possible because then you have nothing to worry about!!!! #NOSHORTCUT

Comment

• Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
            Thank you. The new admistration isnt as bad as people are making it seem to be. They are trying to clean up the department culture from the pass 20 years. Of course people are going to complain because theyre used to things being done one way and many staffs are lazy and dont want to do anything. But things arent bad, its still the same game, just the rules change and now you have to play under the new rules, thats it. The hiring requirement has went up dramatically and people are getting fired alot now. However, the majority of the cases of termination is because there were some wrong doing by staffs. The kinda things that they used to "hold it down" doesnt fly anymore. that is why its always important to do your job the right way as much as possible because then you have nothing to worry about!!!! #NOSHORTCUT
            I left for another agency at that time. I remember there were some officers that were outstanding, but the majority I worked with were too lazy and complacent. I agree with you when you say do your job correct. I remember officers arriving on post, asking the count and whatever number you had on your count sheet, they just signed off without even checking. I would tell them to conduct a proper count before I departed from the housing area. Since I was on the wheel, I worked every post, every housing area, and dealt with a multitude of personalities. I had to adjust everyday to someone different. I am happy to hear the new administration isn't as bad as the media is making it out to be.

Comment

• but enough about DOC and people who couldn't deal with the pressure of working for them. lol..(just joking @krull)
              back to TBTA ...=)

Comment

• Happy July 4th everyone. Looking forward to the fall so we can all get this process started.
                NYPD Exam #4329
                TBTA Exam #5606

Comment

• Hey everyone. So I come on here, read, gather information and make the best of it. Kudos to everyone.

So for those of you who don't remember me, I am the bus operator (4 years in now) who got 2 wrong on 5606. I'm pretty excited about this gig and I cant wait.....hopefully I get called in first or second batch. I've been driving for MTA now for 4 years and I was driving fr greyhound or 4 years prior to that. Just tired of the whole driving for a living thing. I'll be 30 in september so the 20/50 would be perfect for me if I got in with TBTA.

I was driving through the midtown tunnel last week and there was some slight traffic in the EZpass land. I got to chat with one of the BTOs just to get some insight. One thing I recall is when I asked him how was the overtime at the midtown tunnel, and hos reply was "Awwww man are you kidding me?! Do you wanna work right now?? I'll give you my uniform and you can work right now!". lol.
                  He said overtime is off the chain.

So I have two questions for you guys.

1. According to my reading, BTOs dont have police status. What would be difference if they did? They can still carry on or off duty. and make arrest on or off duty right? or it has nothing to do with that?? more jurisdiction?? what is it?

2. I got arrested for the first time in my life back in March (over some nonsense, believe me when I tell you!). Long story short, I forked out some money for a lawyer and last week when e wen to court, the outcome was that I got ACD. I think thats the 3 letter code for it. Basically I just DONT get arrested for 6 months, and the arrest and everything disappears. So there is no misdemeanor or felony involved here. Will this affect my chances with TBTA? 6 months will be December 24th.....so lets say I got called for TBTA in mid November, do I still mention that I got arrested at all??

Thanks for the help. And good luck to everyone. On another note, I think when the list comes out, a group of us should all go running to prepare for cooper standard. I'm in Brooklyn, 11233. So lets not wait til last minute. :-)

Comment

• All arrests no matter what the outcome is you have to disclose. If there is anything pending you will not be processed until a decision and case is closed agencies don't want surprises. Read up on the difference between police officer and peace officer. Just google search the term but make sure it's New York because other states don't have as many agencies as us and that divide. Be honest about your past you need a deposition from the court and an explanation why you were arrested no matter how stupid or silly it is to you If an officer had to arrest you then it was something. Good luck

Comment

• Your case is an active case until the 6 months is finished. On any LE application you would have to list the arrest. It never goes away for LE and a few other jobs.

Comment

• Yes you must List All arrests Even if they didnt end in a conviction such as an ACD.
                        A record Of your arrest will be retained by default by the nypd. An employer Can Only Ask if you have been arrested and convicted. (Not Only if you have been arrested) Of course the Exception being Law enforcement jobs and any application for a gun license . Your finger prints and photos from the arrest will be sealed( destroyed) but a record Of the arrest will always be on file with the police

Comment

• I went over the Whitestone it was $8. Highway robbery.... Anyways who is ready to be a booth monster?

Comment

• Magic, you carry your time over towards the end, so them 4 years will help you. I'm also a Bus operator for transit, brooklyn division. like everyone else mentioned i would definitely let them know about the arrest and outcome, don't give them a reason.

Originally posted by Magic_Wealthy View Post
                            Hey everyone. So I come on here, read, gather information and make the best of it. Kudos to everyone.

So for those of you who don't remember me, I am the bus operator (4 years in now) who got 2 wrong on 5606. I'm pretty excited about this gig and I cant wait.....hopefully I get called in first or second batch. I've been driving for MTA now for 4 years and I was driving fr greyhound or 4 years prior to that. Just tired of the whole driving for a living thing. I'll be 30 in september so the 20/50 would be perfect for me if I got in with TBTA.

I was driving through the midtown tunnel last week and there was some slight traffic in the EZpass land. I got to chat with one of the BTOs just to get some insight. One thing I recall is when I asked him how was the overtime at the midtown tunnel, and hos reply was "Awwww man are you kidding me?! Do you wanna work right now?? I'll give you my uniform and you can work right now!". lol.
                            He said overtime is off the chain.

So I have two questions for you guys.

1. According to my reading, BTOs dont have police status. What would be difference if they did? They can still carry on or off duty. and make arrest on or off duty right? or it has nothing to do with that?? more jurisdiction?? what is it?

2. I got arrested for the first time in my life back in March (over some nonsense, believe me when I tell you!). Long story short, I forked out some money for a lawyer and last week when e wen to court, the outcome was that I got ACD. I think thats the 3 letter code for it. Basically I just DONT get arrested for 6 months, and the arrest and everything disappears. So there is no misdemeanor or felony involved here. Will this affect my chances with TBTA? 6 months will be December 24th.....so lets say I got called for TBTA in mid November, do I still mention that I got arrested at all??

Thanks for the help. And good luck to everyone. On another note, I think when the list comes out, a group of us should all go running to prepare for cooper standard. I'm in Brooklyn, 11233. So lets not wait til last minute. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by shakeboxx View Post
                              I went over the Whitestone it was $8. Highway robbery.... Anyways who is ready to be a booth monster?
                              Shoot..im ready to see my list number first

Comment

• Thanks for the help folks.

bk_3000 what Depot are you in?? I'm in grand ave. I'm on that Train Operator list too. Took it in 2009. My list number s 430*.....they are up to 3700+. But their seniority moves too slow. 15+ years before seeing weekends off. :-( I'll weight my options when that time comes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9520 users online. 373 members and 9147 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X