Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was away and just got back home. Checked my answers and got two wrong. 39 and 45. Wonder what they were?

Comment

• Originally posted by NYCpoorest View Post
      There is no need for btos to be any higher honestly unless they want them running from one side of the bridge to the other
      Lol

Comment

There is no need for btos to be any higher honestly unless they want them running from one side of the bridge to the other
        Because State Troopers run from one end of the southern state parkway to the other?
        What would be the point of setting physical standards if you're going to set them at POOR physical condition?
        If some of you happen to get on, you might want someone on the roll call that can make it from the toll plaza, to the other side of the bridge when your rolling around with an EDP ( I can think of specific incidents, where an officer ran from the RFK plaza to 125th street for an 85, and another who ran through one of the tunnels) and there's no other car on the road...as it is right now, there's a lot who can't.

If anything, expect the 40th percentile, which from what I hear it may be.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by gbotj View Post
          Because State Troopers run from one end of the southern state parkway to the other?
          What would be the point of setting physical standards if you're going to set them at POOR physical condition?
          If some of you happen to get on, you might want someone on the roll call that can make it from the toll plaza, to the other side of the bridge when your rolling around with an EDP ( I can think of specific incidents, where an officer ran from the RFK plaza to 125th street for an 85, and another who ran through one of the tunnels) and there's no other car on the road...as it is right now, there's a lot who can't.

If anything, expect the 40th percentile, which from what I hear it may be.
          My point was those higher percentanges are just crazy. The 40% Can be done with some training. What time was used for the older BTOs? Btw ive been in situations where its just me and my partner who out of shape with an EDP and PD is on backlog and its just us and ems 85 is 5+ min away so i do understand the importance of being physically fit .
          Last edited by NYCpoorest; 04-18-2015, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nycpoorest View Post
            there is no need for btos to be any higher honestly unless they want them running from one side of the bridge to the other
            lol

Comment

My point was those higher percentanges are just crazy. The 40% Can be done with some training. What time was used for the older BTOs? Btw ive been in situations where its just me and my partner who out of shape with an EDP and PD is on backlog and its just us and ems 85 is 5+ min away so i do understand the importance of being physically fit .
              i dont think the current BTO had a physical test nor did they have a psychological from what i heard when they were hired back then. Remember, they started out as tolls collector, after 9/11, they became armed and at first MTA didnt even want them doing law enforcement jobs, just security presence. So its been a transition from then until now. I just dont get how they do almost the same thing as Port Authority PD but dont have police status and PAPD does. But that's neither here nor there.

But Sarge is right, i seen a couple BTO that looks like they wouldnt be able to get up out of the booth, let along a resistance arrest or 85. Every dept has many of these dead weight and i'm happy that they are pushing to stricken the physical requirement. DOC is now implementing BMI standards for new recruits. It disgust me to see officers with huge stomach, uniform dont fit, all sloppy in appearances. etc. In regards to the cooper standards, i think anything over 40th percentile is not realistic. I took the USMS PT test and pass with a 12:14 and thats about the 40th percentile. I dont forsee them requiring anything more than that. Just a word of advice, in any Law Enforcement career field, it's best to stay in shape throughout the whole career. Work out, eat right, try to avoid "liquid" therapy as much as possible, stay healthy. Once we retire, at least our body is in shape and healthy enough so that we can stop working out and still be healthy enough to enjoy life and that mediocre pension check we will be recieving =P
              Last edited by 20NOutLife; 04-18-2015, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
                i dont think the current BTO had a physical test nor did they have a psychological from what i heard when they were hired back then. Remember, they started out as tolls collector, after 9/11, they became armed and at first MTA didnt even want them doing law enforcement jobs, just security presence. So its been a transition from then until now. I just dont get how they do almost the same thing as Port Authority PD but dont have police status and PAPD does. But that's neither here nor there.

But Sarge is right, i seen a couple BTO that looks like they wouldnt be able to get up out of the booth, let along a resistance arrest or 85. Every dept has many of these dead weight and i'm happy that they are pushing to stricken the physical requirement. DOC is now implementing BMI standards for new recruits. It disgust me to see officers with huge stomach, uniform dont fit, all sloppy in appearances. etc. In regards to the cooper standards, i think anything over 40th percentile is not realistic. I took the USMS PT test and pass with a 12:14 and thats about the 40th percentile. I dont forsee them requiring anything more than that. Just a word of advice, in any Law Enforcement career field, it's best to stay in shape throughout the whole career. Work out, eat right, try to avoid "liquid" therapy as much as possible, stay healthy. Once we retire, at least our body is in shape and healthy enough so that we can stop working out and still be healthy enough to enjoy life and that mediocre pension check we will be recieving =P
                So even if they make it the "poor pertentgage " it would still be an improvement over the current physical requirements. So i dont see how you can set the standards so low when it could be higher than what the current requirement is . Just my 2 cents

Comment

• The 40% for males looks like this

..::Push ups 1min::..
                  Ages [20-29 ] [30-39]
                  29 .............. 24

..:: Sit ups 1min::..
                  [20-29] [30-39]
                  41 ............. 38

..::1.5 mile run::..
                  [20-29] [30-39]
                  12:29 .......... 12:53
                  Last edited by NYCpoorest; 04-18-2015, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• Everyone hired from 2003 on, took the standard PD psych, which from what I remember was a pre psych IQ test, then the 1200 question MMPI 2, and then a 250 question Candidate Officer Personality Survey.
                    Granted, the previous physicals were a joke, but Cooper Standard 40% is the minimum standard observed by the MPTC, which is why most agencies follow it, any agency that sets its standards to other than MPTC observed opens itself up to potential liability.

They will give you time to train, they will post the standards. If you want the job, you will pass. There's too many out of shape people on the job right now, and go out for a lot of injuries and the powers that be realize a lot of it is due to poor physical condition. This is their chance to nip it in the bud.
                    Last edited by gbotj; 04-18-2015, 01:50 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• you can either listen to what I'm saying or keep trying to justify only doing 10 push-ups and a 25 minute mile and a half. I really don't care either way.
                      sigpic

Comment

There's too many out of shape people on the job right now, and the powers that be realize a lot of it is due to poor physical condition. This is their chance to nip it in the bud.
                        I love that they are raising the standards, but in order to maintain "In Shape" officers there needs to be yearly re-testing. You can go into the academy in very good shape, get the job, and become an overweight slob two years later. I wish more departments had yearly physicals.

Comment

you can either listen to what I'm saying or keep trying to justify only doing 10 push-ups and a 25 minute mile and a half. I really don't care either way.
                          I never said i disagree with you.like i said i wouldnt want the guy next to me out of shape who cant help me when i need help. Now the small few that are going to be new hires will be in shape but what about the majority of the department who will not be whos on tbe old standard. 10 push ups and 25 minute mile and a half? What the hell thats horrible
                          Last edited by NYCpoorest; 04-18-2015, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• 20noutlife turn on your PM

Comment

• Originally posted by mrs. officer View Post
                              20noutlife turn on your PM
                              Im trying but I dunno how. can someone direct me? Thanks

Comment

I never said i disagree with you.like i said i wouldnt want the guy next to me out of shape who cant help me when i need help. Now the small few that are going to be new hires will be in shape but what about the majority of the department who will not be whos on tbe old standard. 10 push ups and 25 minute mile and a half? What the hell thats horrible
                                You gotta understand, those guys are on the job already. Ever heardof being grandfathered. We are still trying to get on. So if their new standards requires us to ride a unicorn around 4 laps or catch a chicken ,then it is what it is.

In these kind of Career field, you will go a long way by just worrying about your business and not the next man business. TrUst me, everything in the dark comes to light, and if they are one of those slackers kind of officer who can't assist or simply too scare to assist, they will get weeded out one way or another.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9010 users online. 434 members and 8576 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X