Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tbta 5606

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by NYCpoorest View Post
    Off topic how does being a support esu officer work for DOC ?
    It likes being in the military reserves where you can get recall to support active duty. We go through "hell week" and if you pass then on to all the physical, weapons, tactics etc. all the specialized training. Then if they are in need of ESU officers and there arent enough full time staff because of different mission, they would page us at our different command and we would report to ESU Base and carry out the operation as needed as a member of ESU.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SendHelp View Post
      I'll be taking a pay cut as well but well worth it to me. Any chance you can ask the SGT about the physical? Cooper standards percentage?
      It's either going to be "fair percentage" or "good percentage" IMO it will probably be fair percentage
      55.......

      Comment


      • Originally posted by SendHelp View Post
        I'll be taking a pay cut as well but well worth it to me. Any chance you can ask the SGT about the physical? Cooper standards percentage?
        I did ask him about the physical testing. He said that they are in the middle of trying to finalize it right now based on what standards exactly. But he told me I shouldnt worry because it's nowhere as hard as hell week. i laughed and left it at that. I'm assuming if you can run 1.5 miles in less than 12:23, about 45 push up and 45 sit up, then you should be good to go. That seem to be the standards for most LE agencies.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
          I did ask him about the physical testing. He said that they are in the middle of trying to finalize it right now based on what standards exactly. But he told me I shouldnt worry because it's nowhere as hard as hell week. i laughed and left it at that. I'm assuming if you can run 1.5 miles in less than 12:23, about 45 push up and 45 sit up, then you should be good to go. That seem to be the standards for most LE agencies.
          Ok then most probably it's going to be on the lower end towards poor side of the "fair percentage "
          55.......

          Comment


          • Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
            Just got the chance to see the result today. Exam was too simple. Spoke to a friend of mine, found out his brother is a SGT at the TBTA academy, he gave me his brother information so i ended up picking his brain. They are pushing space for a class by the end of the year once the list is officially established. Ironically enough, he told me to stay on my job because pay and benefits doesnt compare. (I hit my top pay (5.5) at the end of this month, Sun/Mon RDO) I'm in a good unit and also ESU support officer. I told him that I'll go through the process and academy and tried it out until the end of the 24 months and come back, i wont really be losing anything except difference in pay. At least, this way i tried it out. Im sorry, Just venting a little bit, is anybody else about to take a big pay cut as well and how are you guys dealing with it?
            Dude it would be a big mistake to leave at this point. You've only got 14.5 years to go, unless your over 30 y.o. It doesn't pay for that reason alone.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • Originally posted by NYCpoorest View Post
              Ok then most probably it's going to be on the lower end towards poor side of the "fair percentage "
              Based on what i saw at the testing site, a lot of these people didnt realize that it's a law enforcement job. Because after the physical test that will reduce them, then it's going to be a written and oral pysch. And if its anything like NYPD/DOC pysch where it's literally answering 1000 questions. That's going to reduce the pool even further. Not to mention Background. A female in my classroom thought it was a toll collector position that she signed up for. i feel bad that they going to waste their money for no reason.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
                Based on what i saw at the testing site, a lot of these people didnt realize that it's a law enforcement job. Because after the physical test that will reduce them, then it's going to be a written and oral pysch. And if its anything like NYPD/DOC pysch where it's literally answering 1000 questions. That's going to reduce the pool even further. Not to mention Background. A female in my classroom thought it was a toll collector position that she signed up for. i feel bad that they going to waste their money for no reason.
                You also have some with bad records taking this exam. Some guy with a prior drug arrest and dwi arrest mentioned months ago he was taking the exam.

                Comment


                • Sorry, you mentioned background. I was reading too fast..

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by gbotj View Post
                    Dude it would be a big mistake to leave at this point. You've only got 14.5 years to go, unless your over 30 y.o. It doesn't pay for that reason alone.
                    I'm not 30, i would have about 30 years of city service by the time i reach 50 if i go TBTA which isnt a bad age and pension. I guess i just want to tried new things while im still young. You know how you do the same thing every day and it gets redundant and you feel like theres so much more you can do with yourself. From speaking to TBTA officer at the midtown tunnel, they seem to be stressed free and happy when it comes to work. Average DOC officer makes about $115k in their last 3, pension is half of that plus 12k VSF, HOWEVER, the average life expectancy is about 3 years after retirement. lol, Sometime quality of life wins. Thats the only reason im considering leaving.
                    Last edited by 20NOutLife; 04-17-2015, 07:26 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
                      I'm not 30, i would have about 30 years of city service by the time i reach 50 if i go TBTA which isnt a bad age and pension. I guess i just want to tried new things while im still young. You know how you do the same thing every day and it gets redundant and you feel like theres so much more you can do with yourself. From speaking to TBTA officer at the midtown tunnel, they seem to be stressed free and happy when it comes to work. Average DOC officer makes about $115k in their last 3, pension is half of that plus 12k VSF, HOWEVER, the average life expectancy is about 3 years after retirement. lol, Sometime quality of life wins. Thats the only reason im considering leaving.
                      Yea my grandfather was a captain at nyc doc and passed away about 18 months after his retirement it's crazy but some of those stats are true. And he was only 51

                      Comment


                      • This would be about a 10K pay cut for me initially, but I'm more concerned about an interesting and fulfilling career than a boring job that might pay better but doesn't do anything for my mental or allow me to do anything meaningful for others..

                        Comment


                        • I know top pay is 65K after 5 years, but does anyone who is OTJ know if overtime is normally available, and if so, how much extra per year they bring in with it?
                          NYPD EXAM: 4312
                          Score: 9X
                          List: 1XX

                          NY Court Officer Exam - Oct 2014
                          Score : ?
                          List # : ?

                          Bridge & Tunnel Officer Exam : March 21 2015
                          Score : 100
                          List : ?

                          Comment


                          • My uncle was a correction officer (retired in 2002), did his last 4 or 5 years on the job in ESU, also involved rescue work with his unit at ground zero. He mentioned hell week was no joke, and that some guys do pass away several years or in there 50s after retirement. You just really have to take care of yourself physically and mentally the best you can.
                            Last edited by impact87; 04-17-2015, 08:54 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mike19 View Post
                              I know top pay is 65K after 5 years, but does anyone who is OTJ know if overtime is normally available, and if so, how much extra per year they bring in with it?
                              Never count on OT because it won't always be there.
                              55.......

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Mike19 View Post
                                I know top pay is 65K after 5 years, but does anyone who is OTJ know if overtime is normally available, and if so, how much extra per year they bring in with it?
                                Based on previous answers to this question from Officers and Sergeants on the job, it seems like some locations have lots of OT while others have very little. OT is offered to senior Officers first but if none want it, rookies are mandated to do it. But like @nycpoorest said, you can't count on OT because it won't always be there.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 10416 users online. 508 members and 9908 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X