Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HighwayBob
    replied
    Most peace officers get relatively little training and it would be very difficult to wave a magic wand to make them police officers. There's a large difference between the minimum standards for peace officers and police officers.

Leave a comment:

• Crash Test
    replied
    There were numerous bills in the NYS assembly and senate to give TBTA Officers Police status as well as attempts to give other peace officers Police status and most of the time they don't make it out of committee. If they change the status to TBTA Police Officer I'm almost certain that they would change the age and education requirements to mirror NYPD's 35 max age an 60 college credits. So if you're already employed with just a high school diploma or are over 35 great for you but if not then you are no longer eligible to be hired.

Leave a comment:

• mwtthebus79
    replied
    You are right, it looks like it has died in the state senate 3 or 4 times.

Leave a comment:

• HighwayBob
    commented on 's reply
    You can look at it and see that it has gone nowhere.

• mwtthebus79
    replied
    not sure if this went anywhere but https://nyassembly.gov/leg/?bn=A0624...=Y&leg_video=1 someone is trying to give them police status

Leave a comment:

• HighwayBob
    commented on 's reply
    I know this comment is far after the fact, but if you truly feel that being LE is your calling you should go apply for jobs where there is no age limit. DC Metropolitan Police are hiring now. Not sure about Maryland, but I know there's no age cutoff in Virginia. Same with Florida, Arizona, Connecticut, etc.

There are much better places then New York to be a police officer.

• HighwayBob
    replied
    There will be no future tests. No future hiring.

Leave a comment:

• PD3090
    replied
    Thanks for the info. When you say any list, I wonder if that’s implying that they are not looking to offer any more exams in the future and perhaps this job will slowly disappear?

Leave a comment:

• HighwayBob
    replied
    So many different stories are going around and things seem to change on a daily basis, but...

One of my training officers was informed last week (by whom I don't know but it was at a high-level meeting) that no one will be hired off of this list - or any list.

Leave a comment:

• Crash Test
    replied
    I agree with Bob on there being no mandate for them to hire a single person off this or any list. I checked with a source and was told this recently as well as from an attorney. Even my source has been off as far as the dates estimated for movement on this exam list but I was told that things keep changing and they could be updated monthly, weekly or even daily. They were suppose to establish the list in the spring and put in a class in the summer or fall and we see when the list was established....so that's why I am hopeful that we will see movement by the spring. MTA needs to give testing back to DCAS in my opinion because they can't handle it properly.

Leave a comment:

• HighwayBob
    commented on 's reply
    Well, when things are exposed and questioned by the press suddenly no one knows anything. Apparently it was Cuomo I'm sure what prompted it was the feud between him and Warren Wilhelm. Hiring is proceeding as far as MTAPD is concerned. TBTA remains to be seen, but I've already expressed my skepticism about that. Bottom line is we all have to wait and see what happens. As far as I'm concerned everything regarding TBTA hiring is a rumor until something actually happens.

I will just reiterate one thing - just because there is now an established list does not mean that a single person must be hired off of that list.

• Crash Test
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for that info Bob! I thought it was Cuomo that ordered the 500 new cops. I was under the impression that Cuomo is running the show at the MTA as he installs the Chairman. I'm past the age for PO and there are only two departments in NY that I know of that hire over 35 and one could get in and then apply for a lateral transfer but those departments do not hire often and they only hire a small amount of officers at a time. So this was a good opportunity to be able to work outside on and have the possibility of an earlier retirement 20 instead of 25 years.
    Last edited by Crash Test; 12-02-2019, 08:10 AM.

• HighwayBob
    commented on 's reply
    I think you're blaming the wrong people. Why should they rush the process when it's a low/no priority? I think whatever slowness was caused by factors way above them. Now, in the midst of rushing to hire 500 police officers suddenly people are questioning who authorized the hiring. Everyone is pointing fingers at others and even Cuomo said it didn't come from him. Well, now it is board approved so it's happening. I'm still waiting for people here to start posting that they're being called for some further processing. We'll see what happens.

• HighwayBob
    commented on 's reply
    I doubt anyone in the Governor's office gives two craps. And I wouldn't count on getting much sympathy from the media either. The bottom line is that you're stuck with the situation. There doesn't seem to be enough work for the current force to perform so they shipped them to work FE on buses. We trained all of them and from what my training staff told me no one really wanted to do the work. I really can't see them doing any hiring despite retirements,

• Crash Test
    replied
    The MTA NYCT exams unit has proven that they cannot handle testing for civil service titles in a professional and timely manner but bad publicity is a great motivational tool. They gave a promotional exam for NYCT in the beginning of 2018 and are now filing for that same promotional exam this month. They planned on throwing out the exam because they claim only 70 people passed the exam and they would not be able to create a viable list and they had no plans on giving refunds to anyone not even those who passed. Well some of the people that took that test threatened to file a class action lawsuit and others threatened to go to the media to bring attention to the issue and what do you know..... an about face from the exams unit. Now they are going to make the list public and use it.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6223 users online. 441 members and 5782 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X