Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive got a feeling New York State Police will be taking over the bridges LEO duties once these bridges become fully automated. The remaining TBTA officers will be phased out through retirement. More Troopers have be deployed to NYC over the last couple of months. Hense no test results.

Comment

• NYSP costs more per officer than BTOs and the agency has nowhere near enough Troopers to take over their posts.

Comment

• True Troopers cost more. Fact is TBTA only has peace officer status which is why you are beginning to see more Troopers on the MTA crossings. TBTA has 900 officers, which a large percentage conduct toll collections, towing vehicles and other non law enforcement activities. Troopers won't be doing that, but law enforcement responsibilities look to be going that direction. Fact there has been no TBTA class for several years. Have you seen the Troopers at the crossings? Perhaps take a ride down to the midtown tunnel or RFK bridge sometime. Gov Cuomo has been increasing NYSP numbers in the NYC area and seems to be doubling down on that. Pretty sure I read 2 Troopers found that unexploded IED on 29th street a few weeks ago.

Comment

• The gov is asserting dominance over NYC. He is stripping other areas to bring you Troopers into the City, just as was done afte 9/11. The Troopers will eventually return to their regular duties. The placement of Troopers and National Guard troops is just smoke and mirrors to make the public feel safe from terrorists.

Comment

• I'm guessing this is probably the hold up.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...d-tunnels-21st

Comment

• I'm definitely convinced this agency is not going to be doing any hiring no time soon...i see the NYS police almost on a daily basis on the Triborough..menaing its problaby a new pilot program they testing to see if it would work out to have them there...plus all this new automated toll equals no need for BTO..Bto soon to be obsolete IMO

Cash tolls are going the way of subway token, Cuomo says http://nyp.st/2dKfJhW
              Last edited by Robert_212; 10-05-2016, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• I see a major reduction in force through attrition.

Also, in regards to NYSP, they have to have them do something as they were deployed here as per Cuomo.
                Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

• I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

Remember when I was saying how the Henry Hudson Tolls was the test bed and that they started dismantling the toll booths and erected a new structure for automatic tolling? And how this meant it was a successful test and they would use this to roll out electronic tolling all over? Yea well that's what is happening. And it stinks from the perspective of trying to get on the job.

Like I said, this will take 10+ years to complete city wide, maybe more. It's not an overnight thing. But I bet there are no more hires and all of the officers on the job now will just finish their careers out over the life span of the project to complete all crossings.

Question now is, what happens to all of us who spent money to take this test?

Comment

• "The announcement on Wednesday also included a major security component: Mr. Cuomo said an extra 150 state troopers and 150 National Guard members will be placed at the ends of tunnels or bridges."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/06/ny...ing-tolls.html

There you have it. More troopers and national guard to be posted, nothing about more BTO's being hired.

Comment

• We could sit here and debate for days about what the hell is going on with this exam and what's happening with tbta. Could they fade away as the current btos age and retire? Yes. Could they be absorbed into another agency (mta police like the lirr police, metro north police, sir police- absolutely) could troopers man the bridges full time? Yes. Will they? Doubtful. With them making everything toll-less that only eliminates 1 of the many jobs btos do and in many cases especially in the last 15 years rarely do btos collect tolls and if they do it's for o.t. or to subsidize to vacant spot for a shift but toll collection mainly is left to temp btos who are hired yearly to do that job while btos focus on security and law enforcement. There no where near enough troopers to support the NYC bridges and tunnels, and the city (nypd) won't take it lightly. Troop nyc headquarters is located on Randall's island. Currently according to the article and press release Cuomo has 150 troopers at crossings supporting the current 550 man force of btos (400 less than there was a few years ago) and is it because the tbta is short officers? Is it because the state wants to put troopers on the crossings? Who knows. I'm not arguing nor agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here. In all honesty we won't know anything till we hear it from those who are on the job (considering they even got informed) or till we receive info from the mta itself.

Comment

• Also side note cuomo stated he wants to increase security via cameras, facial recognition software and law enforcement!!! This could be the exact thing the MTA was waiting for for the last year and a half almost. But another side note. Most quasi public/private authorities have there own police/peace officers because they can do as they please with them and almost always keep them around for there best benefit. Not always but most of the time they do.

Comment

• Also wouldn't be the first time troopers or national guard soldiers were posted at the Bridges and tunnels. They also have troopers and the national guard at penn, 42nd street train stations, Times Square etc. They work with the PAPD, NYPD, MTAPD, FDNY, OEM etc almost anywhere that would be considered high value targets, critical infristructure and transportation hubs. Its called joint task force empire shield and they've been activated ever since 9/11 basically. And anytime there's an international or domestic incident like the the one that just happened in Chelsea they activate more guardsmen and the troopers normally pick up additional patrols at the same locations. That's just another bit of information. But again no agreeing nor disagreeing with anyone's opinions. Just stating a fact.

Comment

• Also dont forget. Nys trooper has a precinct here in NYC. The precinct is located on Randalls Island. Randalls Island is where the tri Boro bridge is located. So it's very convenient for the mta to test out state troopers patrolling the tri Boro bridge. I have already seen nys trooper on 125th Street which is the landing for tri Boro bridge.

Comment

• http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/06...m.facebook.com

Looks like it's over for this exam

Comment

• Through attrition, the union’s membership had been reduced to 525 from 790 in 2009, Mr. Joseph said, with many of those cuts affecting security positions.
                                “We have no idea what they’re going to be doing,” he added. “I’m almost certain it’s going to create a decline in our head count.”

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9800 users online. 464 members and 9336 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X