300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NYPD14AUX View Post
    Tbta is civil service though, they cant just get rid of the BTOs, they were also given peace officer status after 9/11 and secure the bridges and tunnels from future terrorist attacks. It would be a liability to get rid of them just like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First TBTA received their Peace Officer status in the late 70's, Gov Wilson signed the bill. As far as your statement that they can't get rid of BTO's, that is not true. They can keep their BTO's and as they retire just not replace them and turn over the Bridges and Tunnels to the MTA Police. Now I am not saying they are going to do it, but that possibility is always out there

Comment

• I really don't understand why would they have put out an exam if they really didn't have any intentions on hiring.

Comment

• If they hire just one person off the list it would be legal .

Comment

Tbta is civil service though, they cant just get rid of the BTOs, they were also given peace officer status after 9/11 and secure the bridges and tunnels from future terrorist attacks. It would be a liability to get rid of them just like that.

Peace officer doesn't mean anything, any one can take a peace officer course. local hospital and community college guards are peace officers even nyc park agents have peace officer status it just happens most can carry a firearm at the discretion of the agency and others just carry handcuffs and a baton.but at any given time, any agency can go away with giving peace officer a firearm..i'm sure if their job gets phased out, the MTA will find them a place to put them even if its being security at the Mta bus depot..i've seen the MTA do it before with Station Agents.. They were civil servants and got laid off..must were offered cleaning jobs and others were offered metro card machine asssistant when that station agent job was cut due to budget.. I've personally seen NY state officers at the triborough bridge doing post..who is to say they wont hand them that BTO job over NY state police?...i heard they werE pushing a few bills to get police status and been denied. Honestly i dont see this BTO position lasting a long time... Just my 2 cents

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert_212 View Post
            Peace officer doesn't mean anything, any one can take a peace officer course. local hospital and community college guards are peace officers even nyc park agents have peace officer status it just happens most can carry a firearm at the discretion of the agency and others just carry handcuffs and a baton.but at any given time, any agency can go away with giving peace officer a firearm..i'm sure if their job gets phased out, the MTA will find them a place to put them even if its being security at the Mta bus depot..i've seen the MTA do it before with Station Agents.. They were civil servants and got laid off..must were offered cleaning jobs and others were offered metro card machine asssistant when that station agent job was cut due to budget.. I've personally seen NY state officers at the triborough bridge doing post..who is to say they wont hand them that BTO job over NY state police?...i heard they werE pushing a few bills to get police status and been denied. Honestly i dont see this BTO position lasting a long time... Just my 2 cents
            I see, I just thought civil servants were protected more, I was under the wrong impression of the titles

Comment

I see, I just thought civil servants were protected more, I was under the wrong impression of the titles

Nobody is protected. Remember the 70's when hundreds of cops were laid off.

Comment

• I heard a different story about why this is taking so long. A guy in my Army NG unit is a CO with NYCDOC and his father is a BTO. According to his father, they are in court "battling the legality of the test". He didn't elaborate on what that meant exactly but next time I see him I'll ask him for more information. I'm not sure I believe what I'm hearing about the job being phased out. As someone else said, its not only about toll collection...and didn't they just build a new academy on randall's island? Seems very counterintuitive if they're eliminating the position or phasing out/not hiring new BTOs..

Comment

• Doubtful that BTOs will be disappeared. The cost to replace them with police officers would be prohibitive. Police officer salaries and benefits are greater than that paid to BTOs. Replacing the BTOs with MTA cops would bring an expense that the TBTA would not want to bear. The NYPD does not have the manpower to man the bridges and tunnels and the NYSP certainly does not.

Comment

• Originally posted by CloudPuncher View Post
                    I heard a different story about why this is taking so long. A guy in my Army NG unit is a CO with NYCDOC and his father is a BTO. According to his father, they are in court "battling the legality of the test". He didn't elaborate on what that meant exactly but next time I see him I'll ask him for more information. I'm not sure I believe what I'm hearing about the job being phased out. As someone else said, its not only about toll collection...and didn't they just build a new academy on randall's island? Seems very counterintuitive if they're eliminating the position or phasing out/not hiring new BTOs..
                    Sounds like nonsense , btos will not be phased out there main job is not collecting tolls. And in this day in age you need Leo near bridges and tunnels. Mta pd is not taking over nysp is not taking over and nypd definitely is not taking over. Don't believe rumors your hear online

Comment

• Originally posted by Anti-crime View Post
                      Sounds like nonsense , btos will not be phased out there main job is not collecting tolls. And in this day in age you need Leo near bridges and tunnels. Mta pd is not taking over nysp is not taking over and nypd definitely is not taking over. Don't believe rumors your hear online
                      We'll lol looks like I'll wait, I got a year and a half left till I get my BA soooo mta bridge and tunnel and police have that time to get there **** together and tell me if I'm in or not, had to discountinue my process with Nypd till I Finnish school, thanks for the real information guys, kinda realized you can't trust online info/opinions.

Comment

• I agree not ALL BTO's will be gone down the road, but most will.
                        You have to look at the Henry Hudson and other smaller crossings that they are converting to "Fully automated" and see what the future holds for smaller crossings.

Again look at this: http://patch.com/new-york/rivertowns...-plazas-2017-0

See that photo? That is the Henry Hudson Bridge crossing. No more toll booths, no more building to house BTO's and other offices. This is what all future smaller MTA crossings will look like, it's a fact.

So what does that mean? All BTO's will be relocated to the larger crossings which will have to maintain some sort of BTO presence for at least the near future due to their size. Problem is that all of those BTO's from the smaller crossings need somewhere to go! So they move over to the larger crossings and the MTA kills two birds with one stone

- Fill in needed bodies at the larger crossings
                        - Reduce cost to run smaller crossings

It's a win-win for them and it's plain as day. Not sure why it isn't so evident to most. I'm currently running a project in the private sector where we are doing this exact same thing and its something many companies are doing to reduce costs. It's not rocket science.

Comment

• You are absolutely correct . This is what they want to do . There will be vacancies eventually for bto's once the attrition level reaches a certain point where they have to hire to replace retirees in the larger crossings .

Comment

• Didn't the MTA recently expand the training for BTOs and add in PT testing. Why spend all of that money if you are just going to reduce numbers anyway. I know it is the MTA but still

Comment

• Originally posted by vc859 View Post
                              Didn't the MTA recently expand the training for BTOs and add in PT testing. Why spend all of that money if you are just going to reduce numbers anyway. I know it is the MTA but still

Apparenlty, and yes. At this point who knows what's going on. Everything to this point has been rumors or half truths. If anyone otj would like to share some input I'm sure plenty of folks on this page would love the info.

Comment

• 18 month since the test and still no results. Unbelievable

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10490 users online. 446 members and 10044 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X