Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoHwyAvailable
    replied
    Good afternoon all, instead of putting info out there gathered from a friend of my brothers who's uncles cousin is on the job, I'll just give you the straight scoop.

Troopers are not taking over Bridges & Tunnels. They are here due to the Cuomo/deBlasio ****ing contest. TBTA facilities are state jurisdiction. They are playing a support role with some of the behind the scenes stuff that is going on.

Bridge and Tunnel Officers are not being phased out. Headcount probably cut, but the job is not being eliminated. A more active and expanded role in law enforcement and other endeavors. Test has not been certified due to the agency looking to see how many retirements will occur when the new open road tolling project goes into effect. If the numbers get too low for their liking then they will have to certify the test and thus hire off of it.

In short, I wish they would hire just to get some new blood on this job. Maybe there will be some hope for that once all is set and done. As Dinosaur said, TBTA is very territorial.....they will not cede control to an outside agency dropping a line into their pond.

Leave a comment:

• Dinosaur32
    replied
    These agencies are very territorial. Ceding LE at their crossings would impact the MTA's ability to control them. Right now policy is set by the TBTA. If NYSP takes over, they will not be governed by TBTA procedures.

Leave a comment:

• CloudPuncher
    replied
    I thought it sounded odd too but I'm just relaying what I was told from a credible source. It would make sense if MTA is giving up the LE aspect of the crossings. Ultimately, using MTAPD would still be MTA resources. Maybe that's the reasoning.

Leave a comment:

• Dinosaur32
    replied
    Someone please explain why State Troopers would take over the BTO spots. The parent agency, MTA, already has its own police force which could easily do the job.

Leave a comment:

• CloudPuncher
    replied
    Update..according to my friend in my NG unit whose father is a BTO, all the unfortunate news we heard is true. They won't need new BTOs because of the automated crossings. State Troopers will take over the LE aspect and this job will be phased out, most likely in the next 5-10 years.

The ONLY positive is that there IS a class action lawsuit pending since they never established the list and don't plan to hire from it, so we should be getting our money back..eventually. Sorry to confirm the bad news we were hoping wasn't true but there are many other options, many of which pay more. If I find out any info on the suit, I'll post it here but we will most likely receive something in the mail asking if we want to be a part of the suit.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Originally posted by WILLDOGS View Post

Correct.

So what happens to the thousands of us that paid for the exam? How do we get refunds? I'm not in the habit of giving the MTA money for no reason.
    You already did... Kiss that $$$ bye-bye.

Leave a comment:

• bklynproud
    replied
    Originally posted by WILLDOGS View Post

Correct.

So what happens to the thousands of us that paid for the exam? How do we get refunds? I'm not in the habit of giving the MTA money for no reason.
    Hi WILLDOGS, We all could try emailing MTA exam unit for a refund

Leave a comment:

• WILLDOGS
    replied
    Originally posted by Anti-crime View Post
    Correct.

Leave a comment:

• perpwatcher
    replied
    Through attrition, the union’s membership had been reduced to 525 from 790 in 2009, Mr. Joseph said, with many of those cuts affecting security positions.
    “We have no idea what they’re going to be doing,” he added. “I’m almost certain it’s going to create a decline in our head count.”

Leave a comment:

• Anti-crime
    replied
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/06...m.facebook.com

Looks like it's over for this exam

Leave a comment:

• Madman718
    replied
    Also dont forget. Nys trooper has a precinct here in NYC. The precinct is located on Randalls Island. Randalls Island is where the tri Boro bridge is located. So it's very convenient for the mta to test out state troopers patrolling the tri Boro bridge. I have already seen nys trooper on 125th Street which is the landing for tri Boro bridge.

Leave a comment:

• Qns_Ny 22
    replied
    Also wouldn't be the first time troopers or national guard soldiers were posted at the Bridges and tunnels. They also have troopers and the national guard at penn, 42nd street train stations, Times Square etc. They work with the PAPD, NYPD, MTAPD, FDNY, OEM etc almost anywhere that would be considered high value targets, critical infristructure and transportation hubs. Its called joint task force empire shield and they've been activated ever since 9/11 basically. And anytime there's an international or domestic incident like the the one that just happened in Chelsea they activate more guardsmen and the troopers normally pick up additional patrols at the same locations. That's just another bit of information. But again no agreeing nor disagreeing with anyone's opinions. Just stating a fact.

Leave a comment:

• Qns_Ny 22
    replied
    Also side note cuomo stated he wants to increase security via cameras, facial recognition software and law enforcement!!! This could be the exact thing the MTA was waiting for for the last year and a half almost. But another side note. Most quasi public/private authorities have there own police/peace officers because they can do as they please with them and almost always keep them around for there best benefit. Not always but most of the time they do.

Leave a comment:

• Qns_Ny 22
    replied
    We could sit here and debate for days about what the hell is going on with this exam and what's happening with tbta. Could they fade away as the current btos age and retire? Yes. Could they be absorbed into another agency (mta police like the lirr police, metro north police, sir police- absolutely) could troopers man the bridges full time? Yes. Will they? Doubtful. With them making everything toll-less that only eliminates 1 of the many jobs btos do and in many cases especially in the last 15 years rarely do btos collect tolls and if they do it's for o.t. or to subsidize to vacant spot for a shift but toll collection mainly is left to temp btos who are hired yearly to do that job while btos focus on security and law enforcement. There no where near enough troopers to support the NYC bridges and tunnels, and the city (nypd) won't take it lightly. Troop nyc headquarters is located on Randall's island. Currently according to the article and press release Cuomo has 150 troopers at crossings supporting the current 550 man force of btos (400 less than there was a few years ago) and is it because the tbta is short officers? Is it because the state wants to put troopers on the crossings? Who knows. I'm not arguing nor agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here. In all honesty we won't know anything till we hear it from those who are on the job (considering they even got informed) or till we receive info from the mta itself.

Leave a comment:

• WILLDOGS
    replied
    "The announcement on Wednesday also included a major security component: Mr. Cuomo said an extra 150 state troopers and 150 National Guard members will be placed at the ends of tunnels or bridges."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/06/ny...ing-tolls.html

There you have it. More troopers and national guard to be posted, nothing about more BTO's being hired.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8739 users online. 357 members and 8382 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X