Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO HOPEFUL
    replied
    It looks like that they next time tbta will hire anyone is in 2020 . This is only because 95% of the officers will be eligible to retire . If they don't hire at that time then the position will probably be eliminated

Leave a comment:

• TLTECH
    replied
    So far everything that has been posted here recently seems to be rumors from articles posted on the newspaper or social media. I spoke to my buddy recently who has been on the job for quite some time and he doesn't even know or the union what exactly is going on or the future of the job. All we could do now is wait and move on with life and hopefully something will come out of this for the better for current BTO's and any upcoming BTO's.
    Last edited by TLTECH; 12-25-2016, 05:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WILLDOGS
    replied
    Originally posted by Qns_Ny 22 View Post
    Yeah I've seen that before. I believe the article is referring to the TEMPORARY bridge and tunnel officers.
    Could be, but why keep TEMPORARY folks on payroll if they are no longer needed?
    And no, no one is losing their job, but functions will probably shift. Yes they will still need a contingent of officers for security functions and VTL enforcement, but eventually many of then will be put elsewhere in other roles as they don't have enough vehicles for every officer to be doing car stops all y long and I'm sure as hell they will not just post officers outside in the cold to just stand there with toll booths being torn down, where would they stand?
    I really with the BTO's who used to post here regurlaly could chime in and give updates, especially gjotb (or whatever his name is lol)

Leave a comment:

• Qns_Ny 22
    replied
    Yeah I've seen that before. I believe the article is referring to the TEMPORARY bridge and tunnel officers. The folks who are hired yearly who wear brown uniforms and who's only job function is to collect tolls. According to the Mta bridges and tunnels Facebook page they refer to them specifically as the ones who will be phased out and that "jobs" in the billing and ticketing will be created in its place. It also refers to the real BTO's and says that no bridge and tunnel officers will lose there job to the automated tolling system. That they will continue to enforce tolling, NYC/NYS VTL as well as mta rules and regulations, law enforcement, safety and security on all mta bridges. I should find the reply they made to someone who asked what will happen to the bridge and tunnel officers to copy and paste. If I see it I will do so but in reference to that article, I believe that's what they're talking about
    Last edited by Qns_Ny 22; 12-24-2016, 05:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• WILLDOGS
    replied
    And that my friends is the last nail in the coffin for this test.

Looks like BTO's will mostly be reassigned to investigate outstanding tickets until their retirement after all crossings are fully automated.

P.S. on a side note, this is most likely a test bed to install even more unmanned tolling in other highly congested areas around NYC. Watch how easily they put up these structures around say Times Square... all roads leading into and out of times square will now cost you $4 peak and $2 off peak.... just throwing out numbers but you know what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• NYCTNT
    replied
    Tbta will never be made troopers as a lateral. No way. Maybe a subdivision? Dunno. But never trooperson

Leave a comment:

• Anti-crime
    replied
    Originally posted by WILLDOGS View Post
    Looks like Cuomo is taking the next step in terms of making it seem like the NY State Police are all over NYC in his battle with the mayor. Painting TBTA cars to resemble state police cars now so that normal folk think there are more Troopers around. Similar to what Bloomberg did with School Safety and Traffic cars to make it seem like there are more police.

http://i.imgur.com/mAod6rs.jpg
    That's crazy I haven't seen those new tbta rmps but did see a nysp charger on the gcp near rfk

Leave a comment:

• Qns_Ny 22
    replied
    Lol idk seems like you've got a bit of a situation in the morning NoHwyAvailable . And CloudPuncher I'd love to know where you got that information. Seems like two people already otj with the TBTA have just posted here saying there promoting and going through the ranks and assessing the situation that's going on under the new Cuomo plan/ project to update, repair and modernize the bridges and tunnels owned and operated by the TBTA, all before they certify the list. As well as how long the troopers and national guard will be playing a support role alongside the TBTA officers. I'm sure as all of us are these officers are frustrated that they haven't hired anyone in years and just constantly see manpower dropping and no new blood coming being hired.

Leave a comment:

• NoHwyAvailable
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudPuncher View Post
    Update..according to my friend in my NG unit whose father is a BTO, all the unfortunate news we heard is true. They won't need new BTOs because of the automated crossings. State Troopers will take over the LE aspect and this job will be phased out, most likely in the next 5-10 years.
    State Troopers just took over the crossings. Current BTOs will keep their jobs and will be hired by NYSP.
    I'm confused, which is it? Is my job being phased out in the next 5 to 10 years or am I now being transferred to the State Police? Even more confusing will be my commute to work tomorrow......I don't know if I should go to a bridge or the trooper barracks....please, enlighten me some more....

Leave a comment:

• WILLDOGS
    replied
    Looks like Cuomo is taking the next step in terms of making it seem like the NY State Police are all over NYC in his battle with the mayor. Painting TBTA cars to resemble state police cars now so that normal folk think there are more Troopers around. Similar to what Bloomberg did with School Safety and Traffic cars to make it seem like there are more police.

http://i.imgur.com/mAod6rs.jpg

Leave a comment:

• perpwatcher
    replied
    They're still promoting through the ranks eventually something is going to happen with this exam as far as hiring goes.
    Job Information

Resume Due Date: December 13, 2016

Functional Job Title: Bridge and Tunnel Captain

Department/Division: Operations

Work Location: Various
    Compensation

Earnings Potential: $120,931

Leave a comment:

• vc859
    replied
    excuse my skepticism but do you have a source for that which you can post

I find the "hired by the NYSP part" a bit hard to believe. Didn't TBTA just recently get a six month academy and PT standards? Would all the BTOs need to go through the full SP academy? Take the SP poly?

Leave a comment:

• CloudPuncher
    replied
    Originally posted by NoHwyAvailable View Post
    Good afternoon all, instead of putting info out there gathered from a friend of my brothers who's uncles cousin is on the job, I'll just give you the straight scoop.

Troopers are not taking over Bridges & Tunnels. They are here due to the Cuomo/deBlasio ****ing contest. TBTA facilities are state jurisdiction. They are playing a support role with some of the behind the scenes stuff that is going on.

Bridge and Tunnel Officers are not being phased out. Headcount probably cut, but the job is not being eliminated. A more active and expanded role in law enforcement and other endeavors. Test has not been certified due to the agency looking to see how many retirements will occur when the new open road tolling project goes into effect. If the numbers get too low for their liking then they will have to certify the test and thus hire off of it.

In short, I wish they would hire just to get some new blood on this job. Maybe there will be some hope for that once all is set and done. As Dinosaur said, TBTA is very territorial.....they will not cede control to an outside agency dropping a line into their pond.
    State Troopers just took over the crossings. Current BTOs will keep their jobs and will be hired by NYSP.

Leave a comment:

• Dinosaur32
    replied
    I hope you realize that these "heavy presence" displays are just smoke and mirrors for the general population.

Leave a comment:

• TLTECH
    replied
    Heavy NYS Trooper and National Guard presence today along side TBTA at the Crossbay Bridge crossing.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10597 users online. 474 members and 10123 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X