Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lateral Transfers in NY how does it work?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral Transfers in NY how does it work?

If you get hired in say CT or any other state as a police officer and your planning to move to NY how does a lateral transfers work in NY? Do you have to be on the civil exam list of the department in which you want to transfer to? The thing with residency can you apply not being a resident and still get pick because your already a certified officer?

In CT I know once you are certified police officer you can go to any department in CT. I have seen some departments just run a special certified list testing process for already certified officers. I also know of some departments you do a background and polygraph and they hire you without sending you back through the academy.

I was wondering is it the same way in NY?

I don't think you can transfer laterally into NYPD. I'm not sure about other depts in NYS.

Comment

Nyc? Absolutely not.

Other parts of ny offer "lateral" but all training you received has to pass the nys DCJS kosher test.
      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by FRIZZO View Post
        If you get hired in say CT or any other state as a police officer and your planning to move to NY how does a lateral transfers work in NY? Do you have to be on the civil exam list of the department in which you want to transfer to? The thing with residency can you apply not being a resident and still get pick because your already a certified officer?

In CT I know once you are certified police officer you can go to any department in CT. I have seen some departments just run a special certified list testing process for already certified officers. I also know of some departments you do a background and polygraph and they hire you without sending you back through the academy.

I was wondering is it the same way in NY?
        No, You can't lateral transfer from another state municipal police department to a New York municipal police agency. WHY?? because appointment to full-time police (or other titles) employment are governed by NYS Civil Service Law. Only INTRASTATE (within) New York State lateral transfers are permitted. First, you must hold a full-time. civil service permanent appointment in the title (POLICE OFFICER), with MPTC basic police officer course completed, employed by a New York municipal police agency. Second, Both the agency you are currently employed and the agency you wish to transfer to MUST agree to the arrangement. Some agencies will accept lateral transfers but many do not. An example, A Yonkers (NY) police officer wishes to reside in the western tier of New York State. The officer has three years on the job and a clean service jacket. He writes to the Sheriff of the Erie County Sheriff's Department requesting a lateraL transfer. Subsequently, the officer receives a letter from ECSO telling him to report for an interview; Goes up to Buffalo, fills out the application, goes thru a routine background investigation and is appointed a Deputy Sheriff-Criminal (Police officer). The Erie County Civil Service Dept is then notified that a lateral transfer appointment to deputy sheriff has been made. BTW, NYPD and NYSP does NOT accept lateral transfers from other police agencies.
        Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 09-20-2014, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks CountyCorrectionOfficer for the info very helpful. I knew about NYPD not taking lateral transfers and any State police agency doesn't take transfers you have to go through the whole process and academy again. Figures New York State would only take instate transfers makes sense because of their strict residency policy. Good thing I like with CT is they allow transfers from all over for the most part and their is no residency and age limit. Residency is only at the time of hire/appointment.

Comment

There ARE agencies that accept a resume. Which ones are they? I don't know. All I know of is Rochester PD, wayyyyy upstate.
            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Frizzo,

Check out this page from NYS DCJS and this may answer your question in regard to police officer eligibility as out of state certified officer. http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/op...cpo/bcpo03.htm
              I hope this helps and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                There ARE agencies that accept a resume. Which ones are they? I don't know. All I know of is Rochester PD, wayyyyy upstate.
                Monroe County S.O. was actively looking for lateral transfers for police officers in their criminal division. Erie County S.O. was seeking lateral tranfer COs from other NYS county jails on Face Book.

Best way to find out who accepting LTs is to write the agency. Many of NY police agencies will not accept LT.

Comment

Originally posted by FRIZZO View Post
                  Thanks CountyCorrectionOfficer for the info very helpful. I knew about NYPD not taking lateral transfers and any State police agency doesn't take transfers you have to go through the whole process and academy again. Figures New York State would only take instate transfers makes sense because of their strict residency policy. Good thing I like with CT is they allow transfers from all over for the most part and their is no residency and age limit. Residency is only at the time of hire/appointment.
                  You do not have to be a police officer in New York to attend the MPTC Basic Police Officer Training Course (Phase 1). In fact, many of the community colleges offer the course to civilians. The current "tuition" for the class is 3 grand.Once you receive your MPTC training certificate-- its good for life. Phase 2 is firearms training and you can only receive that IF you are sponsored or employed by a police agency.

Comment

Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
                    Monroe County S.O. was actively looking for lateral transfers for police officers in their criminal division. Erie County S.O. was seeking lateral tranfer COs from other NYS county jails on Face Book.

Best way to find out who accepting LTs is to write the agency. Many of NY police agencies will not accept LT.
                    I'm on the job in a county agency in Maryland and called Monroe county S.O. I was told i'd have to take the civil test and do the whole 9 to get hired...then they MIGHT transfer my training. Sounds like most places don't want to be bothered with the extra paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue View Post
                      I'm on the job in a county agency in Maryland and called Monroe county S.O. I was told i'd have to take the civil test and do the whole 9 to get hired...then they MIGHT transfer my training. Sounds like most places don't want to be bothered with the extra paperwork.

Yes, you do if you want to work at MCSO. Full-time appointments in the public service are governed by NYS Civil Service Law. This effectively disallows any lateral transfer from out-of-state. I surprised you want to move up this way. Usually, its the other way around.

Comment

No, You can't lateral transfer from another state municipal police department to a New York municipal police agency. WHY?? because appointment to full-time police (or other titles) employment are governed by NYS Civil Service Law. Only INTRASTATE (within) New York State lateral transfers are permitted. First, you must hold a full-time. civil service permanent appointment in the title (POLICE OFFICER), with MPTC basic police officer course completed, employed by a New York municipal police agency. Second, Both the agency you are currently employed and the agency you wish to transfer to MUST agree to the arrangement. Some agencies will accept lateral transfers but many do not. An example, A Yonkers (NY) police officer wishes to reside in the western tier of New York State. The officer has three years on the job and a clean service jacket. He writes to the Sheriff of the Erie County Sheriff's Department requesting a lateraL transfer. Subsequently, the officer receives a letter from ECSO telling him to report for an interview; Goes up to Buffalo, fills out the application, goes thru a routine background investigation and is appointed a Deputy Sheriff-Criminal (Police officer). The Erie County Civil Service Dept is then notified that a lateral transfer appointment to deputy sheriff has been made. BTW, NYPD and NYSP does NOT accept lateral transfers from other police agencies.
                        An out of state officer CAN transfer into NYS. This question has been posed here before and I don't know why some people have this attitude that NYS never allows transfers from out of state officers, because it's simply not true.

To the OP, if you are a police officer in another state with more than a year on the job, then what you need to do is take the civil service test in NYS, then go through the regular hiring process, and you will give your department a copy of your police academy curriculum and all your training certificates. They will then send this paperwork to NY DCJS, who will look it over and determine if you have enough training hours to be eligible in NYS. If you're coming from CT then you should be all set as far as that. DCJS will then give you a list of refresher courses to take in NYS, like laws, firearms, DT, etc...once you complete these you are all set and become fully certified in NYS. This has been done many times in the past, and continues to happen on a case by case basis. It all depends on your department and Chief, and if they're willing to do the extra paperwork for you.

The link was already posted above but I'll post it again;

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/op...cpo/bcpo03.htm

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
                          An out of state officer CAN transfer into NYS. This question has been posed here before and I don't know why some people have this attitude that NYS never allows transfers from out of state officers, because it's simply not true.

To the OP, if you are a police officer in another state with more than a year on the job, then what you need to do is take the civil service test in NYS, then go through the regular hiring process, and you will give your department a copy of your police academy curriculum and all your training certificates. They will then send this paperwork to NY DCJS, who will look it over and determine if you have enough training hours to be eligible in NYS. If you're coming from CT then you should be all set as far as that. DCJS will then give you a list of refresher courses to take in NYS, like laws, firearms, DT, etc...once you complete these you are all set and become fully certified in NYS. This has been done many times in the past, and continues to happen on a case by case basis. It all depends on your department and Chief, and if they're willing to do the extra paperwork for you.

The link was already posted above but I'll post it again;

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/op...cpo/bcpo03.htm
                          Beachcop, you are describing the "transfer" of an out-of-state police officer to a New York municipal police department via the civil service open competitive entry level examination procedure. In this instance, the out-of-state police officer competes with the general public for a position on the list of eligibles by written examination, meets the maximum age requirements (age 35 cut-off) for taking the test, and passes the MPTC sanctioned medical and physical agility tests. His name is then placed on a certified list of eligibles for employment consideration.

LATERAL TRANSFER is being appointed directly to a similar position with another agency without the need of further civil service testing or placement on a certified civil service list of eligibles. This is what I assume the OP inquired about.
                          Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 09-22-2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Beachcop, you are describing the "transfer" of an out-of-state police officer to a New York municipal police department via the civil service open competitive entry level examination procedure. In this instance, the out-of-state police officer competes with the general public for a position on the list of eligibles by written examination, meets the maximum age requirements (age 35 cut-off) for taking the test, and passes the MPTC sanctioned medical and physical agility tests. His name is then placed on a certified list of eligibles for employment consideration.

LATERAL TRANSFER is being appointed directly to a similar position with another agency without the need of further civil service testing or placement on a certified civil service list of eligibles. This is what I assume the OP inquired about.
                            In his original post, the OP asked if he was a cop in CT and wanted to move to NYS, how could he go about doing that.

But I think his original post is asking two different questions.

Comment

Yes, you do if you want to work at MCSO. Full-time appointments in the public service are governed by NYS Civil Service Law. This effectively disallows any lateral transfer from out-of-state. I surprised you want to move up this way. Usually, its the other way around.
                              I get that a lot. I grew up in Rochester and always wanted to be MCSO since i was a kid.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3483 users online. 242 members and 3241 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X