300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gi bill eligible rookie cops - read!

This is for any agency in the country, not just NY agencies, who are military vets
    and are entitled to GI Bill benefits. I'm going to focus on Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch 33)
    for ACTIVE DUTY for this post, but it applies to all GI Bills.

Ok, for starters, congratulations on getting on the job after serving our country. As a veteran myself,
    I thank you for your service. Obviously, you have an honorable discharge, and you've served for at least 2
    years (for this post the numbers will be for those who've served 3 years). So you are entitled to
    Post 9/11 GI Bill. There are 2 types that you are eligible to receive.

- POST 9/11 For School (academy)
    - POST 9/11 For ON THE JOB Training (patrol)

The main difference between the 2, is that you will receive the maximum entitled benefit (60,70,80,100% etc)
    throughout your entire academy and a book stipend in the academy, but on the job training, tapers off 20% every 6 months.

So, with that said, Let's say you've just come into the NYPD July 14 Academy class and you are entitled to 100%. You're in your 3rd month in. Here's what you are entitled to:

BAH - $3744 a month plus $500 (6 months) book stipend

That's as of August. For July it's about $300 less.

Grand Total: OVER $20,000 tax free by graduation in December.

Someone in your academy class will walk you through all the steps and all the info will be spoon fed to you.
    After you follow all the simple instructions, you will received your first check of about $10k directly deposited
    into whatever checking account.

Now for the hard part:

GI Bill OTJ. Not as simple. It is, but it isn't. It will be for you now, because I've done all the legwork for you.
    When I first came in a couple years ago, the paperwork that all of the older classes did were outdated and I wasted
    a lot of time. But enough of that, here's what you need.

VA 22-1999

http://www.lepsn.org/images/pdfs/VA%...tification.pdf

VA 22-6553d-1

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-22-6553d-1-are.pdf

VA 22-8864

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-8864-ARE.pdf

You only need 1 form from each. You need to fill out all of the information and then it needs to be signed by
    A CERTIFYING OFFICIAL FROM YOUR PRECINCT. Not a random person in payroll.

You can do 6 months at a time, or you can do 1 month at a time. VA says they prefer 1 month.

So your first 6 months out, will also be 100% of your entitled benefit. but 85 a month for books. So when you come out in January 15, if the BAH doesn't go up, you're next check in July (if you wait 6 months) will be

$22,974. 6 months of BAH and 6 months of $85 book stipend.

So what happens after 6 months? All of your benefits will drop 20% and you are now entitled to 80% of your benefit.

Your next check if you wait 6 months will be $18,379.

Post any GI Bill relevant questions below. And I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

For those Vets in the academy right now, you WILL need these forms!!

Comment

Thanks for the info! I will be taking the Exam next Saturday and in which will begin a long and lengthy process which will be worth it at the end. Will bookmark this info!

Comment

Don't forget, this is for whatever benefits you haven't used yet. If you only have a few months left, you'll only get those months.

Comment

I'll give this a bump and then I'll bump it on the weekend.

Comment

Old thread but I have a few questions. I'm starting the academy for the Washington DC police soon but i'm sure this information applies anywhere in the country. Also Air Force vet with post 9/11 gi bill and full benefits.

Is the VA sending a check to your police department every month even if the academy is free?

I have a 6-8 month academy. If I choose to go to college in the future to get my degree, how much of the gi bill will I have left?

I guess the question I'm trying to get at is would you use the gi bill for the academy if you plan on getting your 4 year degree at some point? I don't want to use up my GI bill for something that's already free and then be screwed when it comes time to pay for college.
            Last edited by tpbman121; 02-09-2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tpbman121 View Post
              Old thread but I have a few questions. I'm starting the academy for the Washington DC police soon but i'm sure this information applies anywhere in the country. Also Air Force vet with post 9/11 gi bill and full benefits.

Is the VA sending a check to your police department every month even if the academy is free?

I have a 6-8 month academy. If I choose to go to college in the future to get my degree, how much of the gi bill will I have left?

I guess the question I'm trying to get at is would you use the gi bill for the academy if you plan on getting your 4 year degree at some point? I don't want to use up my GI bill for something that's already free and then be screwed when it comes time to pay for college.
              Check gets deposited into your checking account if you supplied one or mailed. you can look up how many months you have left on www.ebenefits.va.gov

I would use it for school if i didn't already have a degree and was pursuing one.

Comment

Bump for the new class

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6688 users online. 351 members and 6337 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X