Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Municipal Police Officer Training Council vs. the NYC Special Patrolman cert.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post

wo 150, do you remember all the confusion of who was a peace officer and could this particular occupation of peace officer possess a handgun back in the '70s? If I seemed to recalled correctly back in the '70s, a Staten Island ASPCA organization sprung up as a front for a NYC gun club. Their members were "deputized" as ASPCA officers , which at that time, allowed them to purchase a handgun on their employment status without the need of obtaining a NYC Pistol License.It was the intent of the state legislature to correct these abuses and in doing so--they defined who was a peace officer, what exactly were his/her powers and could that specific occupation be allowed to possess a handgun on their employment status without the need of a pistol license.

Also, training standards of full and part-time peace officers was introduced for the first time under the 1980 peace officer omnibus bill; and a central registry was established for both police and peace officers maintained by DCJS. I realize you know this information already so I am posting this for the benefit of newbies to this forum.
    It wasn't ASPCA it was SPCC (children), They also screwed up the Fraternal Order of Police here in New York State

Comment

Originally posted by wo 150 View Post
      It wasn't ASPCA it was SPCC (children), They also screwed up the Fraternal Order of Police here in New York State

Thanks, wo 150, it was the Staten Island SPCC.

Comment

All peace officers employed by local government in New York are NOT NYS peace officers. Those that are New York State peace officers are actually those employed by New York State. They are state court officers, state correction and parole officers, and NYSDEC park rangers making up the vast majority of state peace officers.. There is marked difference between a peace and a police officer. Peace officers act pursuit to their special duties and their powers of arrest are largely confined to their jurisdiction of employment. Furthermore; peace officers can NOT execute a search warrant--only a police officer may do so. Police and peace officers derive their authority from the NYS Criminal procedure Law. It was the intent of the state legislature to place the burden of the criminal justice system squarely upon the shoulders of police officers.
        Just to tweak this a little bit, everyone is a NYS Peace Officer because all your powers are derived by state law, the difference being is your Geographical area of employment (GAOE) ex A NYC Corrections Officer GAOE is the City of New York, however when off duty, the Officer has powers throughout the State. This goes for any local Peace Officer, naturally those that work for the State ex, Corrections, Parole, Park rangers, SSO, etc our GAOE is the entire state regadless

Comment

All peace officers employed by local government in New York are NOT NYS peace officers. Those that are New York State peace officers are actually those employed by New York State. They are state court officers, state correction and parole officers, and NYSDEC park rangers making up the vast majority of state peace officers.. There is marked difference between a peace and a police officer. Peace officers act pursuit to their special duties and their powers of arrest are largely confined to their jurisdiction of employment. Furthermore; peace officers can NOT execute a search warrant--only a police officer may do so. Police and peace officers derive their authority from the NYS Criminal procedure Law. It was the intent of the state legislature to place the burden of the criminal justice system squarely upon the shoulders of police officers.
          Incorrect I'm a 24/7 NYS peace officer but work for NYC

Comment

Originally posted by The hopeful View Post
            Deleted post
            Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 10-28-2015, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Just to tweak this a little bit, everyone is a NYS Peace Officer because all your powers are derived by state law, the difference being is your Geographical area of employment (GAOE) ex A NYC Corrections Officer GAOE is the City of New York, however when off duty, the Officer has powers throughout the State. This goes for any local Peace Officer, naturally those that work for the State ex, Corrections, Parole, Park rangers, SSO, etc our GAOE is the entire state regadless
              Very true wo150, your GAOE is the entire state and you are a true NYS peace officer employed by DOCCS. The rest of us derive our authority from the CPL as you know and once we are outside our GAOE the ability to make a arrest drops off significantly. A police officer outside his GAOE, whether on or off duty, may arrest anywhere in NYS for a crime whether committed in his presence or based upon reasonable belief. I remember when I first started in county corrections 37 years ago, the jail administrator told me "peace officers are private citizens so don't think you have special powers or you'll get into trouble". That's the way was "in the old days."

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                At the end of the day. Your still allowed to make an arrest.

Special Patrolmen do not have the luxury of having 24/7 peace officer status. But.. Who cares. Always be a good witness anyway. Only select nyc agency special patrolmen have 24/7. Others do not.

I know some people are reading this and wondering.. Hmm...

No.. You cannot carry off duty or buy a personal gun and carry off duty. No.. If your agency does not issue firearms or are trained to qualify at the range with your agency.. You do not magically qualify for hr218.

Note:

Only a Handful of peace officers in CPL 2.10 maintain status 24/7 and carry 24/7. And qualify for retirement carry permit and hr218 "qualified".
                i am ssa,we are peace officers on and off duty

Comment

Very true wo150, your GAOE is the entire state and you are a true NYS peace officer employed by DOCCS. The rest of us derive our authority from the CPL as you know and once we are outside our GAOE the ability to make a arrest drops off significantly. A police officer outside his GAOE, whether on or off duty, may arrest anywhere in NYS for a crime whether committed in his presence or based upon reasonable belief. I remember when I first started in county corrections 37 years ago, the jail administrator told me "peace officers are private citizens so don't think you have special powers or you'll get into trouble". That's the way was "in the old days."
                  You are absolutely right, they were the good old days and that is what we were told on every Peace Officer job. It took the legislature along time to make it right and even today some jobs have that mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by The hopeful View Post
                    Again, County's statement was true, it just needed to be tweaked a little bit. You have to watch your words, especially when replying to guys who have a long time in this business. What County said is true about being outside your GAOE. Remember it is not what you say but how you say it.

Comment

Originally posted by WRESTLER View Post
                      i am ssa,we are peace officers on and off duty
                      But you're not permitted to carry or possess firearms (pistol) on your NYC special patrolman status
                      TNT writes the truth.......How many people do you think would submit themselves to being arrested by an UNARMED, dressed in civilian clothed peace officer??....again always be a good witness as TNT said.

Comment

But you're not permitted to carry or possess firearms (pistol) on your NYC special patrolman status
                        TNT writes the truth.......How many people do you think would submit themselves to being arrested by an UNARMED, dressed in civilian clothed peace officer??....again always be a good witness as TNT said.
                        Correction County, SSA is a NYS title and represented by NYSCOPBA They are not Special Patrolman. But TNT statement is absolutely correct

Comment

Correction County, SSA is a NYS title and represented by NYSCOPBA They are not Special Patrolman. But TNT statement is absolutely correct

Is SSA school safety agent employed by NYPD?? or a state employee employed by what state agency??

Comment

Is SSA school safety agent employed by NYPD?? or a state employee employed by what state agency??
                            I apologize, I thought they were talking about the SSA's that run the metal detectors at the Capitol. You could be right, he could be a School Safety Agent, My apologies for the mistake

Comment

Originally posted by WRESTLER View Post
                              Power and authority[edit]
                              School Safety Agents are designated as New York City Special Patrolman, which gives them the status of a New York State peace officer. With peace officer powers, School Safety Agents can make warrantless arrests, carry and use handcuffs, and use physical force. According to the New York Penal Law, School Safety Agents have peace officer powers throughout New York State.[1]
                              Police powers are defined in the NYS Criminal Procedure Law; NOT the Penal Law. See post # 26.

Comment

I apologize, I thought they were talking about the SSA's that run the metal detectors at the Capitol. You could be right, he could be a School Safety Agent, My apologies for the mistake
                                Yes,my false

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4223 users online. 247 members and 3976 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X