Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Retroactive Military Seniority Date

Good afternoon everyone!

I've been on this forum for a little while now and I was hoping someone on the NY thread would be able to answer a couple questions I have about RMS with the NYPD. Just a little background info on myself and the process I had to go through. This way maybe seeing what I had to do might make it easier on the next guy trying to get RMS. I joined the Marine Corps as an Infantryman back in October 2004. Did a bunch of deployments and ended up re-enlisting in 2008. However before I re-enlisted I was going to get out of the Marine Corps. I found out the NYPD was administering a test on Camp Lejuen (where I was stationed with 1st bn 2nd Marines for my first 4 years). I decided why not and took the test in October of 2008, exam number 8044. I received a letter in July 2008 to start my process but I ended up deploying one more time. So the NYPD put me on military hold.

Fast forward to November of 2012 and I fulfilled my second contract and decided it was time to move on. My test did expire however, under section 243 of the NY state military law the NYPD was obligated to keep my test and list number on file. I had to walk in to DCAS and submit proof of my military service using my DD214. About 8 weeks later I recieved a letter from DCAS that gave the NYPD the ability to re-open my investigation. On the letter it stated when I should of been hired and that I MAY be eligible for a retroactive military seniority date of July 8 2008. Now keep in mind this is not the letter that allows you to receive military seniority this letter just states that one is eligible for RMS. I was hired by the NYPD on July 9th 2013. Upon further investigation I found out that in order for my RMS to be finalized I had to submit the DCAS letter to the military extended leave desk. What they do is draft a new letter stating that one is approved for RMS. A copy of the letter goes to the precient and the other gets faxed to the pension fund office. I recieved that letter yesterday, and I am unable to speak to a representative until next week, because the individual who handles RMS is on vacation.

The above statement brings me to a couple questions. I know that I will fall under the tier 2 pension program, I know that it will add 6 years up front (keep in mind this is NOT the military buy back program, that's differnt) to my time on as a NYC police officer. I also know that I will accrue my vacation as if I had a total of 7 years on the job. What I am unsure of is if this will put me at top pay? And how much do I have to contribute on back pay into the system? Anyway I appreciate any and all help and if any combat vets have any questions regarding the first steps in this process let me know. It took a lot of getting the run around but I was able to get solid contacts and a good grasp of this whole process from start to finish. Just unsure of the benifits at this time.
    Exam Date: 10/2008
    Exam- 8044 List- XX
    USMC EAS: Nov 12 2012
    Medical- 12/2012
    Mini Medical- 5/2013
    Written and Oral Psych- 12/2012
    JST- 06/2013- 2:42

July 2013 Academy

Hello, 03USMC51
    I just hit my 2 year mark in the Marine Corps. I took the NYPD exam on JUL 2013,my EAS is 6 AUG 2016. I'm wondering do you have any college credits on your record when you get hired, and what do you do between your EAS and academy. I'm thinking about start taking some college class after this deployment, I heard that helps a lot with the NYPD recruitment. btw my brother was in July 2013 academy too xD.
    Exam Date: 07/2013
    Exam- 4300 list 6XX
    USMC EAS: 06 AUG 2013
    Medical- ?
    Mini Medical- ?
    Written and Oral Psych- ?
    JST-?

Comment

Originally posted by mrpan1993 View Post
      Hello, 03USMC51
      I just hit my 2 year mark in the Marine Corps. I took the NYPD exam on JUL 2013,my EAS is 6 AUG 2016. I'm wondering do you have any college credits on your record when you get hired, and what do you do between your EAS and academy. I'm thinking about start taking some college class after this deployment, I heard that helps a lot with the NYPD recruitment. btw my brother was in July 2013 academy too xD.
      Exam Date: 07/2013
      Exam- 4300 list 6XX
      USMC EAS: 06 AUG 2013
      Medical- ?
      Mini Medical- ?
      Written and Oral Psych- ?
      JST-?
      Mrpan,

How are you brother? Yes I did have college credits, but as long as you have 2 years military you don't need any for NYPD. I came out with about 37 college credits but only 12 of those credits were from the Marine Corps. My advise to you after you get out apply for unemoyment because you rate it and don't let anyone tell you differently; in NY it's $405 a week. Also make sure you take advantage of that GI bill. Well worth it! Don't get me wrong if you can work. Also get checked out by the VA hospital and make sure any compensation from any combat you've been through is well documented. When I got out I had a great job with the department of state lined up but the academy they were supposed to have in November got pushed back a year so I did what I had to do.
      Exam- 8044 List- XX
      Medical- 12/2012
      Mini Medical- 5/2013

July 2013 Academy

Comment

Hs fine, he got assigned to midtown south, its pretty good area. Where they put you at? I thought if i have some college credits it would make my record look better, and have more chance to get in the academy. You mean i can apply unemployment as soon as I get out? And for the first 2 years in NYPD do you get extra pay like it says on the nypd website?

Comment

Hs fine, he got assigned to midtown south, its pretty good area. Where they put you at? I thought if i have some college credits it would make my record look better, and have more chance to get in the academy. You mean i can apply unemployment as soon as I get out? And for the first 2 years in NYPD do you get extra pay like it says on the nypd website?
          I'm in Brooklyn north. You don't want a soft command you want to be in a place where you will learn fast. Whether you have military or college it doesn't increase or decrease your chances of getting into the academy. And yes you will get more money but that's because you can use your GI bill for the first two years. Yes you can apply and you will
          get unemployment because your entitled to it. When you get out your test will more then likely be expired so you will have to physically show up at DCAS and hand them your DD214. This will enable you to start the process for the NYPD to open up your investigation. The bad part is the wait but once you get that letter you will be bumped to the front of the line to get hired because if you took the test on a specialized military exam 4 years from your EAS and you could not attend the hiring process due to military obligations at that time then they will have to push you through as quickly as possible.
          Exam- 8044 List- XX
          Medical- 12/2012
          Mini Medical- 5/2013

July 2013 Academy

Comment

My EAS is AUG 2016,if I start my process with everyone else on that exam and passed all of them, i will probably get in the JAN 2017 academy, unless I end up having another deployment when they start the process on my exam number. Do you know anyone doing military reserve while they work for NYPD? I really like the life in Corps, just can't do it for 20yrs straight. I'm thinking about doing reserve after I get out, but not sure if that would be a good idea,would it be too much stress to deal with? You were in for 8yrs,so you probably get out as a SGT? I heard if you have military experience you gotta be the company sergeant in the academy is it true?

Comment

My EAS is AUG 2016,if I start my process with everyone else on that exam and passed all of them, i will probably get in the JAN 2017 academy, unless I end up having another deployment when they start the process on my exam number. Do you know anyone doing military reserve while they work for NYPD? I really like the life in Corps, just can't do it for 20yrs straight. I'm thinking about doing reserve after I get out, but not sure if that would be a good idea,would it be too much stress to deal with? You were in for 8yrs,so you probably get out as a SGT? I heard if you have military experience you gotta be the company sergeant in the academy is it true?
              Yes. I'm currently in the reserves actually about to jump ship to the coast guard. The Marine Corps reserves is not the Marine Corps you know. You have to "manage your expectations" when it comes to reservist. Mainly because they don't truly understand that concept of the 24/7 Marine and it's not there fault because most reservist didn't spend 4 to 20 years on active duty where there whole lives are controlled especially grunts where your out in the feild 4 to 5 days a week for a 6 month work up to deploy. Yes I got out as a sergeant. I was a company sergeant in the academy and it's a damn joke. You do get your borough of choice though. I would not suggest doing the reserves while attending the academy just because the majority of your weekends will be spent studying but I mean to each their own. It just depends on what your doing in the reserves. The academy was easy but I had to swallow so much pride it was ridiculous. The lack of professionalism, discipline, and just overall lack character from the instructors and individuals your attending the academy with are sub-par. Anyway that's not something I really want to stress on this forum. With all that being said I hope I answered your questions.
              Exam- 8044 List- XX
              Medical- 12/2012
              Mini Medical- 5/2013

July 2013 Academy

Comment

You get to choose not going to reservist base on the weekend while you in the academy? I'm with the Air Wings, just wondering if they got a air reserve base up in new york, do all the marine reservist go to Fort Hamilton army base for their weekend or somewhere else?

Comment

You get to choose not going to reservist base on the weekend while you in the academy? I'm with the Air Wings, just wondering if they got a air reserve base up in new york, do all the marine reservist go to Fort Hamilton army base for their weekend or somewhere else?
                  No. There a **** ton of different military bases. That Marines drill out of. The closest air station in NY is Newburgh. Stewart Air Force base I believe. Yes there air wingers that drill out of there.
                  Exam- 8044 List- XX
                  Medical- 12/2012
                  Mini Medical- 5/2013

July 2013 Academy

Comment

You mean air wingers from NYC has to report to Newburgh Stewart Air Force base for their duty or just a random base in NYC?

Comment

You would drill out of Stewart air force base. That's where your command will be located. You could also drill out of fort dix in NJ as well. They have air winger billets available I just don't know which ones. Those two are the closest though as far as being a drilling reservist. You would have to speak to a prior service recruiter in order to get billets and MOS breakdown.
                      Exam- 8044 List- XX
                      Medical- 12/2012
                      Mini Medical- 5/2013

July 2013 Academy

Comment

Are there any NYPD cops/veterans or, any NYV city workers for that matter, that had to go through the process I described in my original post? Maybe something similar that would be able to help me out.
                        Exam- 8044 List- XX
                        Medical- 12/2012
                        Mini Medical- 5/2013

July 2013 Academy

Comment

No one in your command can answer that question?

Comment

Good Day Devil's,

Contact The NYPD VFW/American Legion Post or MELD for assistance.

Semper Fidelis from AFG and a Brooklyn North Cop!

Comment

Still trying to figure out if I'm eligible for this. I took exam 4008 (in October 2004 I think?) while I was out of the military (initially did AD 2001-2004). Stayed in college for a bit, then got recalled back to active duty in January 2006 ( IRR ). Did my 18 months, got out in July 2007. Had to go reopen my case in person with DD214 in August 2007 and got hired in January 2008.
                              Not sure if this qualifies me for RMS buyback, I already did the regular 3 year service buyback.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5894 users online. 307 members and 5587 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X