Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever heard of nypd to nys courts?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever heard of nypd to nys courts?

I am just curious if you are NYPD if there are any benefits to transferring to NYC courts? What if anything would transfer over? Pros and Cons etc.

Any input would help?

Your time on would be transferred to the State pension system. Other than that, what are asking about? Banked time would not transfer, seniority would not transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangriffin718 View Post
      I am just curious if you are NYPD if there are any benefits to transferring to NYC courts? What if anything would transfer over? Pros and Cons etc.

Any input would help?
      If you transfer (get appointed) to the state court system as a CO you will be enrolled in the NYSERS. You will need 30 years @ age 55 AS A COURT OFFICER to be able to retire as compared to NYC NYPD 22 years out-at-any age retirement. Yes, you can transfer NYPD service credit into the NYSERS. Also, you can "buy back" up to three years of military time as well as previous public service time accumulated with a New York State political subdivision.

You won't be able to carry any "seniority" and you'll be on probation as with any other civil service entry level position.

Comment

Just curious.. Are you current nypd?

Guys jump ship all the time for different agencies.
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Early in my career I worked with a Court Officer who started in the FDNY finished his 20 in the NYPD....but the cost of college for his kids kept him working so he took the Court Officer test and was hired. He was, and probably still is, the last Cop to shoot a suspect from horseback.

Comment

Never heard of guys going over to the courts in modern day. You'll be taking a major pay cut, and if unless you enjoy standing a fixed post indoors all day you'll be bored out of your mind.

Comment

Sorry, SkellTF, but the courts are a lot busier than you write. And while there aren't a lot of cops that leave NYPD for the Courts, there are a few each year.

Comment

It's a better quality of life. Sometimes it's not all for the money.

Collars come to you... Make friends with high powered people... Edge on laws... Off when the courts are closed(of course someone is always on duty 24/7/365). Holidays off.

It makes sense in more ways than one to jump ship. Although for a 25year pension and just about equal nypd salary... Nyc sheriff is the way to go.
                Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

I met and know a lot of Court Officers all seem to be content.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                    Early in my career I worked with a Court Officer who started in the FDNY finished his 20 in the NYPD....but the cost of college for his kids kept him working so he took the Court Officer test and was hired. He was, and probably still is, the last Cop to shoot a suspect from horseback.
                    Isn't that considered double dipping?

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                      Sorry, SkellTF, but the courts are a lot busier than you write. And while there aren't a lot of cops that leave NYPD for the Courts, there are a few each year.
                      I'm not ****ting on courts, its a great job. I'm just saying it'd be slow for a cop who just came from an A or B house.

Comment

The Officer was able to bank his pension. We're talking back in the '70's. Anyone from an A or B house would have to slow down....but an arraignment part in Criminal Term Supreme Court can keep you moving.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6121 users online. 342 members and 5779 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X