Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pistol used for Onondaga County Department of Corrections Qualification?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistol used for Onondaga County Department of Corrections Qualification?

I have been canvassed by the Onondaga County DOC to potentially become a Corrections Officer.

A few things that slipped my mind during the interview that I have since remembered:

I am expecting a call to schedule a polygraph within the next week or so, what is proper attire for a polygraph?

Additionally, I will have to qualify with a pistol during the Academy.
    I do have some pistol experience, but it was 6+ years ago and due to New York's strict Pistol Permit allowances, I do not yet have my Pistol License.
    What pistol does Onondaga County, or at least most DOCs, require officers to qualify using? I would like to get some experience and time before the academy starts so that I can be proficient and have no worries.
    Test Results:

NYST Exam 10/19/13
    Scored 97.57xxxx
    Ranked 5,104

Onondaga County Exam 4/12/14
    Scored 85.0
    Ranked 5 (70 with same rank)
    Have been offered a job! Academy starts in November!

New York State Campus Public Safety Officer Test
    Scored 90.0
    Ranked 66

I'm going to PM you about the interview. Mine is next Thursday.

I'm assuming it'd be a Glock, but I am not sure.

As for polygraph, I would dress nicely. I will probably do nice polo and khakis, if I make it that far.

Comment

Don't worry about the qual. They will teach you how to shoot their way and pass.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I'm fairly certain it will be a Glock, but I want to know the specific model as they are different, and I have never handled one before.

I was going to wear dress shoes, pants, a nice shirt and tie.
        A little dressed-down from the suit I wore to the interview.
        Test Results:

NYST Exam 10/19/13
        Scored 97.57xxxx
        Ranked 5,104

Scored 85.0

Scored 90.0
        Ranked 66

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          Don't worry about the qual. They will teach you how to shoot their way and pass.
          I'm sure they will, I'd just feel more comfortable having a working knowledge of the firearm before test day.

Rifles I'm fine with. Pistols not so much.

My uncle is willing to buy the pistol I need so I can practice under his supervision, and then I would buy it from him once I get my FFL or Pistol Permit.
          Test Results:

NYST Exam 10/19/13
          Scored 97.57xxxx
          Ranked 5,104

Scored 85.0

Scored 90.0
          Ranked 66

Comment

I don't see anyone working for them giving out information about what weapon the dept uses. Don't worry about shooting. Your instructors will teach you how the dept wants you to shoot. It'll be easier to teach you with little experience then to break bad habits

Comment

Glocks have 33 parts. They are all the same except for caliber and barrel length. Relax.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by KaptKyle View Post
                I have been canvassed by the Onondaga County DOC to potentially become a Corrections Officer.

A few things that slipped my mind during the interview that I have since remembered:

I am expecting a call to schedule a polygraph within the next week or so, what is proper attire for a polygraph?

Additionally, I will have to qualify with a pistol during the Academy.
                I do have some pistol experience, but it was 6+ years ago and due to New York's strict Pistol Permit allowances, I do not yet have my Pistol License.
                What pistol does Onondaga County, or at least most DOCs, require officers to qualify using? I would like to get some experience and time before the academy starts so that I can be proficient and have no worries.
                My corrections division of the S.O. does the Glock Model 17 (9 mm); the road side uses the Glock 40 caliber. Don't know whether Onondaga County DOC or OCSO does the transports and courts. Those are the posts that require carrying a firearm. Usually its the most senior COs on these details.

+
                Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 08-03-2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

I'm not stressing by any means.
                  I simply want to be proficient and comfortable with the firearm before test day.
                  I don't see why that is such a big deal of why I'm being told to "relax."

I have heard from the local park ranger police chief the the city cops use the Model 17 too
                  Test Results:

NYST Exam 10/19/13
                  Scored 97.57xxxx
                  Ranked 5,104

Scored 85.0

Scored 90.0
                  Ranked 66

Comment

Glock 22 for pistol and Remington 870 for shotgun.

Comment

Because it sounds weird to keep wanting to know the same exact make and model when they will teach you everything you need to know about the firearms they carry. Hence why they have academies.
                      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

If you don't understand the benefit of being prepared then I suppose that's your problem.

Thanks to everyone who has offered assistance.
                        Test Results:

NYST Exam 10/19/13
                        Scored 97.57xxxx
                        Ranked 5,104

Scored 85.0

Scored 90.0
                        Ranked 66

Comment

Kapt.....As cccsd and NYCTNT wrote the Academy staff will train you. They really would rather tain someone who has no handgun experience than someone who thinks he knows what he is doing. Unlearning mistakes is more difficult than learning the weapon with a blank slate.

Comment

Ok. You sir are a dick. Have fun.
                            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by KaptKyle View Post
                              I'm sure they will, I'd just feel more comfortable having a working knowledge of the firearm before test day.

Rifles I'm fine with. Pistols not so much.

My uncle is willing to buy the pistol I need so I can practice under his supervision, and then I would buy it from him once I get my FFL or Pistol Permit.

The first thing you should know is that you need a NYS pistol license to practice discharging the weapon as a private citizen. You can not legally handle a pistol without the pistol license.

Section 265.20 subsection 7-E:
                              Possession and use of a pistol or revolver, at an indoor or outdoor pistol range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in small arms or at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by an association or organization described in paragraph 7-A of this subdivision (National Rifle Association) for the purpose of loading and firing the same by a person at least eighteen years of age but under the age of twenty-one who has not been previously convicted of a felony or serious offense, and who does not appear to be, or pose a threat to be, a danger to himself or to others; provided however, that such possession shall be of a pistol or revolver duly licensed to and shall be used under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of, a person specified in paragraph seven of this subdivision.
                              Synopsis of paragraph seven:
                              (a) A duly commissioned officer of the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard, or of the National Guard of the State of New York.
                              (b) A duly qualified adult citizen of the United States who has been granted a certificate as an instructor in small arms practice issued by the above military forces or by the adjutant general of this state, or by the national rifle association of America, a not-for-profit corporation duly organized under the laws of this state.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3116 users online. 166 members and 2950 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X