Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NyPd G
    replied
    What is your a state corrections employee?

Leave a comment:

• NYCSFINEST
    replied
    If you work for the board of education your time will count towards the back end. If you are a uniformed member of service IE Corrections(nyc) your time will count upfront and your salary goes with you.

Leave a comment:

• CountyCorrectionOfficer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jmartinez View Post
    If you were pension in the pension system it transfer over. Even if your weren't in the pension system but worked for a public entity, you can buy back your time as a service credit. I will use myself as an example.

When I was 16,17,18 I worked for a town full time for the summer. The town I worked for uses nys pension. I didn't get a pension because I was summer help. Those 3 summers I worked I worked for the town,I can buy back because the town uses the nys pension.

Every place is different though. I currently have 3 years 8 months of service credit. Westchester corrections will only give it to me on the "back end". I still have to do 25 years in corrections, but when I'm done,it will look like I actually did 28 years and 8 months give or take

It's not "Westchester Corrections" giving you service credit for retirement purposes but the NYS Local Employees' Retirement System. You are in a "25 years and out at any age" retirement plan. Once you have FIVE (Tiers 3 &4) years of service credit in ANY NYS, NYC or local municipal government public service employment you become vested in the retirement system.

If you don't complete the 25 years but have five or more years service credit you will be able to collect a pension at age 55 with a substantial reduction. You need 20 years of service credit to hit the 40% mark of your average "hi-three" salary. Don't know whether Westchester County has special work-related disability retirement plans with the NYS LRS; but this is something you need to ask your union. Also; you should be aware of the provisions of General Municipal Law 207-C as it relates to municipal police and county correction officers taken injured or ill in the performance of duty. If you are out on GML 207-C; you will receive full salary as well as retirement service credit for the period(s) you remain out of work. The agency retains the option of offering you light duty.

Leave a comment:

• Jmartinez
    replied
    If you were pension in the pension system it transfer over. Even if your weren't in the pension system but worked for a public entity, you can buy back your time as a service credit. I will use myself as an example.

When I was 16,17,18 I worked for a town full time for the summer. The town I worked for uses nys pension. I didn't get a pension because I was summer help. Those 3 summers I worked I worked for the town,I can buy back because the town uses the nys pension.

Every place is different though. I currently have 3 years 8 months of service credit. Westchester corrections will only give it to me on the "back end". I still have to do 25 years in corrections, but when I'm done,it will look like I actually did 28 years and 8 months give or take

Leave a comment:

• BNWS
    replied
    I worked for the Boeard of ED before joining the NYPD. your time can be carried over. It cannot be used to reduce the amount of years you need to do to qualify for a full NYPD pension but will be added on at the end. You can do this with any NYC job or state job. Part time or full time. I know guys who were MTA bus drivers, Corrections, Lifeguards. If you are in a pension system at the DOE you can roll that over to the NYPD. If you are in a job title that has no pension(like I was) you can buy the pension time. I worked part time for the BOE for 5 years from high school through college. They looked up the amount of hours and credited me with 2 and 1/2 years of civilian time( non uniformed time). I was allowed to withdraw money from my 457 to make up the difference in the pension. Worth every penny.

Leave a comment:

• Fast05GT
    replied
    Yes they do, but I forget exactly how. A guy in my company was DOE for like 10 years and I think they went on the back end? Like he still had to do his 20, but when he got to 20 it really counted as 30 or he could of bought it out? It does count though I know that and the most important thing is are you tier 2 or tier 3 cause tier 2 is way more valuable than the years.

Call the pension guys at DOE, they should know.

Leave a comment:

• BluePadre
    started a topic Lateral Transfer into the NYPD

Lateral Transfer into the NYPD

I've been searching all over the internet, but haven't found an answer. I know salary does not transfer over, but if you're an employee of the Department of Education, do the years transfer over to the NYPD?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3573 users online. 207 members and 3366 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X