300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about hiring process

ok so I took exam number 2344 I believe is the number, and I just finished the whole questionnaire step and I believe the medical step is next in the process. the only question I have is (well not really a question but more of opinions) is I've have 2 arrest on my record one which was when I was 18 for a fake ID that got dismissed and sealed right away. and the other was for a fight when I was 20 that lead to a class B Misdemeanor for attempted assault (penal code 110.120) and I also have a recent speeding ticket. I have friends who went through the process who have nothing compared to me and where still haggled over blowing a stop sign like 4 years ago. so I wonder if I should even take a shot at it or am I a long shot with my type of background and all. I also do have steady work for past 5 years in a bank as an operations manager, and I also am in college for Business but I know the arrest are going to kill me becoming a cop.

I just want opinions of people who have maybe similar stories or know someone who has a similar story, and if do I have any chance, or am I just taking a shot in the dark?

Comment

I know people who have got on with worse.

Comment

ok I know its not going to be an easy process what's so ever, and I will probably get the run around 100 times over and maybe have to even appeal, but that makes me feel somewhat better about my situation

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
          I know people who have got on with worse.
          is there like a 5 year rule that they are tough on? like if the arrest or conviction was in a 5 year period of being hired they deny you?

Comment

Originally posted by Antcaleca View Post
            is there like a 5 year rule that they are tough on? like if the arrest or conviction was in a 5 year period of being hired they deny you?
            I had a similar situation for Port Authority - my investigator told me flat out I was one of her better candidates and even though my stuff occurred when I was 13 ( 25 at the time of process), that I would probably be DQ'ed. Well she was right, I did the run around for 2-3 months, can getting letters from layers, courts, etc. Didn't matter, I was finished before it started. Still hoping NYPD will give me a shot and there is only one way to find out. Just be honest about what happened and hope you can show them how you grown up since it happened. Naturally if it happened within the last year or two, it will be hard to show them it was a one time thing or a childhood mistake.
            Last edited by InTheProcess13; 07-16-2014, 10:11 AM.

Comment

The biggest thing is to be 100 percent honest about the situations. I know guys on that got in trouble when they were younger and they are still on the job. Just so you know sealed doesn't mean anything when applying to LE. They can look up anything even if it was "sealed"
              on the job.....

Comment

Originally posted by DH2002 View Post
                The biggest thing is to be 100 percent honest about the situations. I know guys on that got in trouble when they were younger and they are still on the job. Just so you know sealed doesn't mean anything when applying to LE. They can look up anything even if it was "sealed"
                Yea I plan on being 100% honest during the whole process because if I'm going to do it I need to do it right. And it's been 3 years since the arrest or any kind of trouble, hopefully that helps I guess no way of knowing unless I go through with it

Comment

Originally posted by InTheProcess13 View Post
                  I had a similar situation for Port Authority - my investigator told me flat out I was one of her better candidates and even though my stuff occurred when I was 13 ( 25 at the time of process), that I would probably be DQ'ed. Well she was right, I did the run around for 2-3 months, can getting letters from layers, courts, etc. Didn't matter, I was finished before it started. Still hoping NYPD will give me a shot and there is only one way to find out. Just be honest about what happened and hope you can show them how you grown up since it happened. Naturally if it happened within the last year or two, it will be hard to show them it was a one time thing or a childhood mistake.
                  Yea that's what I am afraid with happening, I've had a few people tell me they will give me the run around but I will get on (including my lawyer), and then I've had people tell me that I'm just going to get the run around waste a bunch of time and just get dqued, and then something about a 5 year rule

Comment

You were convicted of a misdemeanor assault charge?

I hate to say it, but if you DO indeed get on the job, I would be extremely surprised.

The days of looking over these types of things are over. The job isn't easy to get on anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by wnt2bacop View Post
                      You were convicted of a misdemeanor assault charge?

I hate to say it, but if you DO indeed get on the job, I would be extremely surprised.

The days of looking over these types of things are over. The job isn't easy to get on anymore.
                      yes I was convicted. I plead guilty to a class B misdemeanor for attempted assault, served no time, no probation, no fines no nothing just a conviction. and I think you are right due, I heard only way I have a chance of getting on is if I had some sort of military background after the incident, or if I hurried up and joined the reserves or something

Comment

Good luck. Just make sure you can explain everything. If your ID problem was linked to alcohol/partying it will probably not go to well.
                        You can give them all the true documents but if you cannot explain yourself thoroughly they might give a hard time.

Don't stress it too much and take one step at a time.
                        NYPD Exam 2326
                        List - 14**

Initial Med- Finished
                        Written Psych- Finished
                        Oral Psych- Done, Review?
                        JST- ??
                        Mini Med- ??
                        Meet with BI- August

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5697 users online. 348 members and 5349 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X