Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any more information on possible part time work? If you're already a sworn leo do you have to do anything specific?

Comment

Originally posted by Promin730 nyra View Post
      Nyra has some guys that are law enforcement and guys that don’t want to be law enforcement I have work there for 5 years now there a group of us that are cops and a group not if you get on this job you need to know your police not security and know police officers is a title and in the cpl and a power of a police officer is a peace officer so you are police
      Sorry, but a PEACE officer does not have the power of the POLICE officer in NYS. Yes, Peace officers are law enforcement officers and have power of arrest and so on, but there are quite number of differences in between what POLICE officers can LEGALLY do in performance of their duties that PEACE officer can not do.

Comment

• Promin730 nyra
        Promin730 nyra commented
        Editing a comment
        All the same
        Last edited by Promin730 nyra; 01-19-2019, 09:26 PM.

• Stoneface LEO
        Stoneface LEO commented
        Editing a comment
        The only difference is the ability to obtain and execute warrants. We can make arrests ( full processing through precinct, ECAB & central booking), issue summonses, conduct car stops, etc the same as POLICE officers. We have state wide jurisdiction by virtue of being state controlled ( NYS Gaming Commission and state appointed board members).

• ZooKeeperOEF
        ZooKeeperOEF commented
        Editing a comment
        What do you do car stops in? I hope not the white mini SUVs that say SECURITY on the side. BTW who took the collar when the women was stabbed to death at Belmont? Lol

Originally posted by boconnor View Post
      Any more information on possible part time work? If you're already a sworn leo do you have to do anything specific?
      According to their website, it seems like they only hire full-time officers.

Comment

• Stoneface LEO
        Stoneface LEO commented
        Editing a comment
        We also hire part time officers

Only if you know someone

Comment

There is currently a handful of part time officers with the agency. They primarily hire for full time positions, however will consider part time if they are desperately short manpower.

One thing I will say is that this agency definitely has improved over the years since my previous comment in 2014. They are definitely a lot more proactive, and they have been hiring much better quality personnel, especially hiring retired/former police and peace officers from other agencies. The shields no longer say Security, the uniforms are all navy blue, and the salary has risen to an acceptable amount and both unions are in negotiations currently for an updated contract, so more raises are on the way.

Agencies Currently and Previously Employed By:
        NYRA Peace Officer - 2010 - 2012 & 2016 - Present
        Sea Gate Police - 2012 - 2013
        NYPD Auxiliary Police - 2009 - 2014
        NYC Department of Homeless Services Police - 2012 - 2014
        U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Prisons - 2014 - 2015

Comment

• boconnor
          boconnor commented
          Editing a comment
          You still work there? If so pm me

Promin730nyra, in response to your message to me (I've tried to send you a message, but it seems like you are not accepting private messages)

NYS CPL 2.20 clearly states POWERS OF PEACE OFFICERS. https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/CPL/2.20

Here's basic difference in between POLICE and PEACE officers in state of NY

Police officers can execute search warrants and make arrest based on warrants, whereas PEACE officers can not (there are few agencies who can)
        Police officers are exempt from NYS PL 400, whereas MOST peace officers are not. Such as peace officers employed by SEAGATE, NYRA, CUNY Public Safety officers, COOP City, Islip McArthur Airport Security officers, most of town bay constables and fire marshals, NYS DMV Investigators and many others, in order to possess a firearm (handgun), peace officer must obtain a pistol license.
        Police officers are not (legally) required to do annual requalification for firearms/baton/ASR/ECD (agencies do it as to satisfy their own rules and regulations), whereas PEACE officers must qualify at least once per year for firearms/baton/ASR/ECD as per NYS CPL.
        NYS MPTC mandates that police training to be minimum of 649 hours whereas peace officer training's minimum requirement is 99 hours.

Police officers generally have broader power of authority, whereas Peace officers power authority is restricted to pursuant to their special duties, for am example: If you are a peace officer employed by SPCA (humane investigator), you are not going to perform V&T stops (unless it involves an animal or in dire emergency situations), or Fire Police Squad members (volunteer fire departments) start doing drug raids or Bridge & Tunnel officers start raiding brothels as these are not typical part of description of their duties.

I am not putting down any peace officers as I am one, but to say that Police and Peace officers are the same is not quite accurate statement.

You've also stated that officers working for Sea Gate has a police title, but they are peace officers. Sea Gate is not a police department, but it is a private association (Sea Gate Association) employing peace officers.

46. Persons appointed as peace officers by the Sea Gate Association pursuant to the provisions of chapter three hundred ninety-one of the laws of nineteen hundred forty, provided, however, that nothing in this subdivision shall be deemed to authorize such officer to carry, possess, repair or dispose of a firearm unless the appropriate license therefor has been issued pursuant to section 400.00 of the penal law .

Term of Police are being used (such as Fire Police, NYC Hospital police, NYC Department of Sanitation Police) by agencies employing peace officers. How it was explained to me by an attorney is that within their GAOE, agency can use the term Police Department.

In the end, I strongly believe that NYS should consolidate law enforcement training to one standard, rather than keeping Police/Peace officer trainings.
        Last edited by M1garand; Yesterday, 10:34 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8214 users online. 270 members and 7944 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X