Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD K9 Unit

Good afternoon,

I took the NYPD exam recently, and while I know it will take around 3 years or so to get hired, I have a few questions about the department and would appreciate if you could please answer them.

If you are in the Transit Canine Unit or the ESU K9 division, do you take your dog home with you every night?
    Do you take a take home car if you are in K9?
    How hard is it to get into K9 these days?

Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by Long Islander View Post
    Good afternoon,

I took the NYPD exam recently, and while I know it will take around 3 years or so to get hired, I have a few questions about the department and would appreciate if you could please answer them.

If you are in the Transit Canine Unit or the ESU K9 division, do you take your dog home with you every night?

Thank you in advance.

Commanding Officer of a Precinct, and Lieutenant and above in special units such as ESU, CTD, IAB, OCCB are given cars to take home. K9 are ESU-SOD so they get take home cars.

The Officers who handle the dog bring them home after the shift ends; and adopt them when the dog gets too old and retires.

Focus on getting into the job first and having a few years on you. I dont know exactly how many years or how but first and foremost you need time on the job, by then you should know how to get into k9.

I hope this answers your question.
    Take care.
    Last edited by New-York-Cityian; 06-25-2014, 04:39 PM.
    NYPD Exam 4324
    List number 1**

Comment

@New York Cityan: Thank you very much.

When you say, "K9 are ESU-SOD so they get take home cars," do you imply that all members of ESU and Special Ops Division get take home vehicles?

Comment

@New York Cityan: Thank you very much.

When you say, "K9 are ESU-SOD so they get take home cars," do you imply that all members of ESU and Special Ops Division get take home vehicles?
        That I do not know, sorry maybe someone else can chime in. But I assume so because mostly all? specialized units like that need to be on call 24/7 like homicide detectives, snipers etc.. so they are given a take home car with free gas paid (if I remember correctly) so they can respond ASAP

Some units give you the car ONLY for work related stuff
        others give you the car for anything. but I dont know specifically which
        NYPD Exam 4324
        List number 1**

Comment

I was told by an NYPD Detective that regular detectives assigned to Precinct Detective Squads use pool cars. Many large-city departments issue take home vehicles to their homicide squads and other units that are on call 24/7, but I was told the NYPD doesn't have a homicide division (homicides are handled by precinct detective squads).

Comment

I was told by an NYPD Detective that regular detectives assigned to Precinct Detective Squads use pool cars. Many large-city departments issue take home vehicles to their homicide squads and other units that are on call 24/7, but I was told the NYPD doesn't have a homicide division (homicides are handled by precinct detective squads).
            What the NYPD detective said is right, after all he was a real cop and not me.
            Last edited by New-York-Cityian; 06-25-2014, 05:00 PM.
            NYPD Exam 4324
            List number 1**

Comment

You need a CRANE to get into k9. Focus on getting hired first. Many things can change in the course of 3 years. For all you know there could be layoffs like the 70's (God forbid) and a massive hiring freeze. You never know with this economy and the turd in chief in the white house, and Prince DeBlowzio.

Comment

An nypd k9 guy told me that nypd k9 guys DO NOT get take home cars. The dogs must be transported to and from work in personal cars. He stated that the k9 guys have suit against the city for this matter and they are waiting for an arbitrator to hear the case. This was summer last year. Also if I'm not mistaken, nypd k9 guys aren't on call. They have enough working each shift. It's not like a small town dept that has 1 k9 unit for the entire town.
                But I'm not OJT with nypd . Just stating what one of the k9 guys told me last year

Comment

A lot of misinformation here...

Will post more when I get some time.
                  sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                  DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Good afternoon,

Thank you in advance.
                    You do take the dog home, though no take home for the time being. A little known K9 unit is also narcotics, who have a number of dogs.

K9 has always been a highly desirable unit. Even with a major hook, you're looking - at best - 8 to 10 years before you can make it. Regardless of your hook, you'd also need a stellar record all around including a pristine sick and disciplinary record. The average for anyone is around 10 years, after having applied a number of times. Either way, I don't care who you know...you aren't getting in before that.

From the few guys I've spoken to in K9, those with hooks said their hook was more of a "good word" than the deciding factor. You'll find that with most super-desirable units, hooks play less of a role than one would think. This is especially true under Bratton. Keep in mind you also need to reside in a HOUSE with a fenced yard. I know a handful of guys who made it with no hook but time on the job and plenty to show for that time. Even guys with hooks have excellent records. These guys don't really leave or retire early, so there isn't a lot of turnover which is another reason it's hard to get into.

I'll echo some of the sentiments below...this is something that you won't even be able to consider for quite some time, so focus on what you need to do until then (nothing wrong with asking questions and educating yourself, though).

What SkellTF said is especially true in that you have no clue what can happen in a short time, so keep that in mind.

Anyway, I know many people want to help and provide information but when posts have factual errors it doesn't serve any purpose other than to confuse and misguide people who view the thread now and years from now. If anyone isn't 100% sure about what is fact or not, leave it out.

Originally posted by New-York-Cityian View Post

Commanding Officer of a Precinct, and Lieutenant and above in special units such as ESU, CTD, IAB, OCCB are given cars to take home. K9 are ESU-SOD so they get take home cars.
                    Precinct CO's gets take-homes, usually. Other CO's...depends. Don't associate Captain and above with take-home. Plenty of Captain's never see one, ever.

LT's in those units do NOT get take-home cars with the exception of - sometimes - IAB. That's not because they need it, but as a perk to get them to want to stay and sell their soul to IAB. While their are people here and there in ranks below Capt./not CO's who get them, they are very few and far between.

Originally posted by New-York-Cityian View Post
                    That I do not know, sorry maybe someone else can chime in. But I assume so because mostly all? specialized units like that need to be on call 24/7 like homicide detectives, snipers etc.. so they are given a take home car with free gas paid (if I remember correctly) so they can respond ASAP

Some units give you the car ONLY for work related stuff
                    others give you the car for anything. but I dont know specifically which
                    There are very, very, few on-call specialized units on this job. We're so large that there is always someone working, hence the small amount of take-homes for non-very high up personnel.

The NYPD does have a homicide squad for each borough. Precinct detectives still catch homicide cases, but without getting into the specifics of how the Detective Bureau handles investigations, there isn't much more to say about that. Yes, they use cars assigned to their commands. No, they don't take them home.
                    sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                    DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Digital Frenchie, Jmartinez, SkellTF and NYC-an,

Thanks for your informative replies. I appreciate your knowledge and insight.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5520 users online. 285 members and 5235 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X