300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York State Civil Service Law

I need some help. I took an exam about 2 years ago for a peace officer position. The only qualification listed on the exam announcement was 60 credit hours. I took the exam and scored high. When i got the exam score and was canvased, I received a call and was told that when i turn 21 (which was 5 months away) I would be able to work for them. This was never in the announcement but nevertheless I was happy because it still seemed promising. He told me this was because i could work for them as long as i applied for my pistol permit. He even said they had officers working for him at the moment without pistol permits.

So after the 5 months went by, I was canvased again and I received an interview. The interview went well and even during the interview they said they made an agreement with the county that they would hire people without their pistol permits. So then 3 weeks went by and i received no call. So I decided to call them and see what was going on. The hiring manager said over the phone I didn't qualify because i have no pistol permit and they wouldn't be willing to sign off on my pistol permit that they would hire me once I received it. So I had to apply for concealed carry which I'm sure will end up being restricted to target shooting.

So are they breaking civil service rules? I took an exam I qualified for and they're saying I'm not qualified, with rules that were never stated in the announcement. Furthermore, by the time i do qualify I'm sure the list won't be good anymore. I took the exam at 19 and had to wait to 21 just to apply for the Pistol permit which takes another 15 months.
    Last edited by Natedog36; 06-25-2014, 08:04 AM.

Originally posted by Natedog36 View Post
    I need some help. I took an exam about 2 years ago for a peace officer position. The only qualification listed on the exam announcement was 60 credit hours. I took the exam and scored high. When i got the exam score and was canvased, I received a call and was told that when i turn 21 (which was 5 months away) I would be able to work for them. This was never in the announcement but nevertheless I was happy because it still seemed promising. He told me this was because i could work for them as long as i applied for my pistol permit. He even said they had officers working for him at the moment without pistol permits.

So after the 5 months went by, I was canvased again and I received an interview. The interview went well and even during the interview they said they made an agreement with the county that they would hire people without their pistol permits. So then 3 weeks went by and i received no call. So I decided to call them and see what was going on. The hiring manager said over the phone I didn't qualify because i have no pistol permit and they wouldn't be willing to sign off on my pistol permit that they would hire me once I received it. So I had to apply for concealed carry which I'm sure will end up being restricted to target shooting.

So are they breaking civil service rules? I took an exam I qualified for and they're saying I'm not qualified, with rules that were never stated in the announcement. Furthermore, by the time i do qualify I'm sure the list won't be good anymore. I took the exam at 19 and had to wait to 21 just to apply for the Pistol permit which takes another 15 months.
    i practically had NYC break civil service law blatantly when the deputy sheriff didn't hire me and i was list 1* and out 800 people and they were hiring people in the 50s and 100s. no explanation and no DQ for any of the steps whatsoever.

i even filed a complaint with the department of investigation which they investigated... but gave me the "we have decided not to investigate further".

if u feel ur in violation, its worth reporting to DOI.

Comment

What was in your background that caused the employer to back off from endorsing your permit application?

Comment

Without knowing where in ny this took place or exact requiments and emplyment description. .. its hard to answer.

I am guessing mcarthur airport, or one of the handful of nys agencies like dmv inv?.

Not too many PEACE OFFICER agencies have exams. If its coop city or private agency.. tough luck.. not civil service.

So this is why its hard to answer if we dont even know the municipality.
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
          What was in your background that caused the employer to back off from endorsing your permit application?
          Nothing. They just don't want to guarantee me a spot 15 months down the road. They might not have openings then so how could they guarantee they would hire me.
          Last edited by Natedog36; 06-25-2014, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
            Without knowing where in ny this took place or exact requiments and emplyment description. .. its hard to answer.

I am guessing mcarthur airport, or one of the handful of nys agencies like dmv inv?.

Not too many PEACE OFFICER agencies have exams. If its coop city or private agency.. tough luck.. not civil service.

So this is why its hard to answer if we dont even know the municipality.
            It's was an Erie County Civil Service Exam. I'd rather not go into more detail then that. It's just demoralizing because I finally got a high reachable score and this is what happens. Doesn't seem very just or professorial for a law enforcement agency. I feel like they are playing games with me and I don't know what to do. First it's wait 5 months then it's wait 15 months and pay hundreds of dollars for something they won't sign off on. Then the next time I get a chance they'll probably end up skipping me for someone that has better connections then me. Even if I could go to someone about it, I feel as if it would start a bad rapport with them and create enemy's or possibly hurt my future chances of getting the job.
            Last edited by Natedog36; 06-25-2014, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redhot View Post
              i practically had NYC break civil service law blatantly when the deputy sheriff didn't hire me and i was list 1* and out 800 people and they were hiring people in the 50s and 100s. no explanation and no DQ for any of the steps whatsoever.

i even filed a complaint with the department of investigation which they investigated... but gave me the "we have decided not to investigate further".

if u feel ur in violation, its worth reporting to DOI.
              I will take that into consideration. Thank You!

Comment

ECMC? You did post that the agency had unarmed officers working for it. Were you offered an unarmed spot?

Comment

Originally posted by Natedog36 View Post
                  I will take that into consideration. Thank You!
                  You can always consult an attorney that specializes in civil service law.
                  “He who can have patience can have what he will.”
                  ― Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hey jakejan can u pm me I have some questions at the pre employment academy at ecc north

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5059 users online. 274 members and 4785 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X