300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Background Investigation DQ question

Hey everyone, I had a quick question regarding the disqualifying factors for the NYPD hiring process. I am aware that Domestic Violence is an automatic disqualification, but after utilizing every resource available to me, I cannot seem to find if being a victim of Domestic Violence would adversely affect a candidate. I have two DV reports (verbal arguments only, 2 different suspects, there is a 9 year difference between the reports and no arrests were made) that I am the victim of and one report of harassment solely for documentation purposes (suggested to me for family court). I know the company I keep is a direct reflection of myself, I have cut off all contact with both individuals, but I am curious to know if this is going to hurt me. Please only post serious answers and nothing regarding my personal life. Let's keep it respectful.
    Thanks.

First off everything on here is just speculation, take it with a grain of salt. Some know more than others, but no one can predict what the psych will think.

To your answer: Yes and no.

Going by your name "Chelsea" I'm going to assume that you're female. If both parties involved with you are/were partners, I think it will show what kind of people you're attracted to, and or attract. What's up with the family court thing? Do you have a child with one of the said persons? If so, then it's very very difficult for you to 100% cut off all contact with that individual. I can see them being worrisome of placing a firearm in that situation where you've both gotten into it.

You state the gap between both reports but not when the latest one was. If the first one was in 2005 and the last one with this year(2014) that's going to be a problem. There needs to be X amount of years between the incidents to show the separation and maturity has taken place.

If you never were the aggressor and you have 100% no contact with these people. It will still definitely be investigated thoroughly, but you should be able to overcome it. All in all it really depends on 1. What your psych thinks about it 2. What your BI will think about it. I would give you a 50/50 chance of making it. What you got to lose? Take the test and see what happens. It'll take 3 - 3.5 years to get hired anyway.

Comment

Your going to have a very hard time with the psych.
      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelseab1218 View Post
        Hey everyone, I had a quick question regarding the disqualifying factors for the NYPD hiring process. I am aware that Domestic Violence is an automatic disqualification, but after utilizing every resource available to me, I cannot seem to find if being a victim of Domestic Violence would adversely affect a candidate. I have two DV reports (verbal arguments only, 2 different suspects, there is a 9 year difference between the reports and no arrests were made) that I am the victim of and one report of harassment solely for documentation purposes (suggested to me for family court). I know the company I keep is a direct reflection of myself, I have cut off all contact with both individuals, but I am curious to know if this is going to hurt me. Please only post serious answers and nothing regarding my personal life. Let's keep it respectful.
        Thanks.
        Take it and appeal if anything happens
        NYPD Exam 4324
        List number 1**

Comment

Says the person who hasn't gone through the appeal process.
          Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
            Says the person who hasn't gone through the appeal process.
            But he knows since he googled and read about it!
            10-09 0308 XXX
            Time Flies Quick
            On This Job

Comment

Hopefully there has been some time between the incidents and your psych.
              Last edited by Scottydons87; 06-25-2014, 04:30 PM. Reason: Because
              “He who can have patience can have what he will.”
              ― Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The only automatic DQ for DV is a conviction, not just a report. No violence was involved, so that's a plus (albeit a small one). The NYPD has a huge pet peeve for anything that even remotely resembles DV...let alone two instances of it. You've made changes in your personal life and that's good, but as mentioned below it will give way to the "this is who you attract" question.

Remember, they're also judging you on your suitability to carry a firearm. You can be perfect, but the people around you can dash any hopes if they will be a third-party liability to the job.

All that being said, you will have a hard time, but I'd say you may still have a shot. Won't know until you try. Just be prepared to answer some tough questions that will most certainly get personal.
                sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3980 users online. 186 members and 3794 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X