Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury Duty

Quick question...

I'll hopefully be going into this upcoming July Academy, however I recieved a Jury Duty notice in the mail last week. I am a call-in juror. In a nutshell, I need to call in each night to see if I need to report the next morning. So far they haven't reached my number, but it is getting close. If I am selected as a Juror, what happens if I am on a case that lasts longer than the start date for the academy? - I've emailed my investigator and I'm awaiting a reply. Thought maybe you guys and gals might have some suggestions. Can I get out of Jury Duty by letting them know I start the academy in a few weeks?
    City of New York's Finest

You can postpone jury duty.

Comment

For some reason... Jury duty notification are not sent registered mail.
      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Funny thing is...I've never received one in my lifetime.
        We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
          For some reason... Jury duty notification are not sent registered mail.
          Not sent registered mail? - In Nassau County they are.

Comment

The court system trusts that the USPS will deliver the mail. If the mail is not returnes undeliverable it is considered deliverable. For the OP, if you get called in, report, even if you are there for only one day you are good for 6 years. If called into a courtroom, when actually questioned inform the court and the attorneys of your obligation with the Academy. I'm sure you will be excused.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbaust260 View Post
              Quick question...

I'll hopefully be going into this upcoming July Academy, however I recieved a Jury Duty notice in the mail last week. I am a call-in juror. In a nutshell, I need to call in each night to see if I need to report the next morning. So far they haven't reached my number, but it is getting close. If I am selected as a Juror, what happens if I am on a case that lasts longer than the start date for the academy? - I've emailed my investigator and I'm awaiting a reply. Thought maybe you guys and gals might have some suggestions. Can I get out of Jury Duty by letting them know I start the academy in a few weeks?
              When you go just say you hate black people if you're white and that you hate white people if you're black, you will get disqualified.
              NYPD Exam 4324
              List number 1**

Comment

Originally posted by New-York-Cityian View Post
                When you go just say you hate black people if you're white and that you hate white people if you're black, you will get disqualified.
                I know that was a joke, which can be said around friends, but posting it on a public forum, especially on a police forum... not the smartest idea. We are already hated, lets not bring race issues upon ourselves.

Dino, thanks for the advice. That's what I'll do.

Comment

I just had that shyt last week. Showed up and they kicked me right out. No body wants u as juror.
                  Last edited by shakeboxx; 06-16-2014, 08:22 PM.

Comment

New-York-Cityian........I've seen prospective jurors punished for making patently absurd remarks like that. How would you like to sit in the courtroom for the whole trial and not be on the jury? It's been done.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                      New-York-Cityian........I've seen prospective jurors punished for making patently absurd remarks like that. How would you like to sit in the courtroom for the whole trial and not be on the jury? It's been done.

First using race is never a smart idea, even in jest. REMEMBER the PC Police who have screwed everything up in life are listening.

As a Law Enforcement Officer, I have stated that as far as I am concerned, the Prosecution is always correct and that if they didn't have enough evidence, the poor defendant wouldn't be on trial-guaranteed dump by the defense and I don't think even Dino would disagree with that since aN ada GAVE ME THAT. As far as Civil trials go-I am always for the Respondant.

Jury trials are a waste of time, the hanging around doing nothing, TOTALLY SUCKS. I believe they should either hire professional jurors or if people enjoy volunteering-then let them volunteer and allow those of us with a life to enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Lbaust260 View Post
                        Not sent registered mail? - In Nassau County they are.
                        If they did, not any more. I was summoned to jury duty three months ago via regular mail.
                        I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Since the end of exemptions any number of LEOs have served on both criminal and civil juries. I know many will not understand or accept this, but in a non-cop criminal case, defense attorneys will often choose a cop to sit. They understand the cop's ability to see through b*llsh*t.

Comment

Active MOS are still exempt from the Federal Jury system.

Comment

True. But then you have to go plan B and throw your support to the other guy. I am sorry but I have better things to do then just sit around waiting. Especially when the CT Off starts breaking balls and tell u that u can't leave. I have done everything in my power to get thrown out and so far I have been lucky. Doing jury duty is like going to jail but with no bars

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5890 users online. 294 members and 5596 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X