300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law Enforcement Volunteer Opportunities

I am a college student home for the summer and I am looking for a way to volunteer in some form of law enforcement during my breaks. I was an explorer but I'm too old for that now and the schedule of the auxiliary police academy doesn't fit with my school schedule. I read about the SPCA and SPCC law enforcement divisions and was wondering if anyone had any information on them, or any information regarding any law enforcement volunteer opportunities in the Long Island area. Thanks!

NYPD auxillary. Next class is september. Classes are about 4 months long.

So if you start the process now youll finish in Jan. That is the only thing I can think of.

You could also do what I did and intern at the homicide division. But they're very picky and want people with good gpa.
    edit: sorry I just checked and all positions are filled for the summer.

Here are three FDNY internships open for the summer. Not law enforcment but its something.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...s/FDNY-003.pdf

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...s/FDNY-011.pdf

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...s/FDNY-013.pdf
    Last edited by New-York-Cityian; 06-14-2014, 01:55 PM.
    NYPD Exam 4324
    List number 1**

Comment

Try some of the towns and villages on Long Island. Long beach may still have openings for the beach code enforcement (don't get excited I dot know much about that gig). Join a volunteer fd.
      Living the dream...

Comment

Originally posted by New-York-Cityian View Post
        NYPD auxillary. Next class is september. Classes are about 4 months long.

So if you start the process now youll finish in Jan. That is the only thing I can think of.

You could also do what I did and intern at the homicide division. But they're very picky and want people with good gpa.
        edit: sorry I just checked and all positions are filled for the summer.

Here are three FDNY internships open for the summer. Not law enforcment but its something.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...s/FDNY-003.pdf

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...s/FDNY-011.pdf

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...s/FDNY-013.pdf
        I cant do NYPD auxiliary because I don't live within the city and I'll be at school before the academy starts anyway.

Originally posted by make_the_bestofit View Post
        Try some of the towns and villages on Long Island. Long beach may still have openings for the beach code enforcement (don't get excited I dot know much about that gig). Join a volunteer fd.
        If you are talking about the special police its too late and what positions might a town or village have?

Comment

I tried to join my VFD before I went away to school. Most likely fire or auxiliary won't let you join since you can't commit to the training or make calls while you're away for ~6 months a year.

Comment

Some of the towns and villages have aux. in all honesty though, with these investigators it's more about just showing ur stable and responsible. THey don't rly show preference over people with some kind of experience in the field. It's just another thing they have to investigate more and more paperwork
            Living the dream...

Comment

Originally posted by make_the_bestofit View Post
              Some of the towns and villages have aux. in all honesty though, with these investigators it's more about just showing ur stable and responsible. THey don't rly show preference over people with some kind of experience in the field. It's just another thing they have to investigate more and more paperwork
              Yeah I know that, I'm close with a couple police departments but I'm not going to start working until I finish my degree which wont be for another two years so I am just looking for something to do in the mean time.

Comment

Ok I was on the same boat a few years ago and live on Long island also. The only things to do now are mostly city positions that have internships like new York cityian stated. FDNY and some other agencies like Dept of Finance aka The NYC Sheriff may have some also in the city sheriffs office. On Long island any gigs for law enforcement type stuff is mostly part time code enforcement/ Public Safety but unless the town or village has a lot of beaches chances are they wont need people right now but try..you have to go on every towns websites. I did Public Safety when I was 19 it was great bc it gave you a feel for what law enforcements like. The BEST place if you live on the Nassau or Suffolk is NYS Parks Police...I think the time to apply has passed but for next year Feb but you can look up now. NYS Parks police hires part time Park rangers..the good thing is they give you Peace officer training which is hard to get and looks good on your resume..they also give you uniforms est...I was going to do it but got another position but I talk to the director its a good position for a newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkeee7 View Post
                  I am a college student home for the summer and I am looking for a way to volunteer in some form of law enforcement during my breaks. I was an explorer but I'm too old for that now and the schedule of the auxiliary police academy doesn't fit with my school schedule. I read about the SPCA and SPCC law enforcement divisions and was wondering if anyone had any information on them, or any information regarding any law enforcement volunteer opportunities in the Long Island area. Thanks!
                  SPCC(Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) law enforcement agencies were disbanded by state law a few years back. The only ones still allowed to operate are in Rockland County, and those are being disbanded August 2014. After them all these agencies will be defunct.

SPCA(Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) law enforcement agencies are still around, I believe most counties in NY(except NYC which disbanded their uniformed ASPCA force last year and maybe a few counties heading upstate) have these agencies. Each county has different requirements to become a Peace Officer for them and each one authorizes the equipment P.O.'s can carry, but from what I've seen most are fully armed and require law enforcement experience or experience volunteering for them in a civilian aspect. I wanted to volunteer for either the Nassau or Suffolk SPCA as a P.O., and I emailed both showing my 4 years law enforcement experience. Nassau never got back to me, Suffolk emailed me a application. I'd say you probably would have a better shot getting a response from Suffolk. They also look like a very active SPCA agency, and they appear to have more P.O.'s than other SPCA's I've seen.
                  Agencies Currently and Previously Employed By:
                  NYRA Peace Officer - 2010 - 2012 & 2016 - Present
                  Sea Gate Police - 2012 - 2013
                  NYPD Auxiliary Police - 2009 - 2014
                  NYC Department of Homeless Services Police - 2012 - 2014
                  U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Prisons - 2014 - 2015

Comment

Do you plan on joining the field of law enforcement?

If so, I hope you started applying for examinations.

The Feds have some great internship programs as well.

Www.Usajobs.gov

If you don't see it there, go to the web page of each big agency and some of them have internship links.
                    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Contact your college. Colleges have the "in" when it comes to internships. When I was getting my undergrad degree, I obtained an internship with a police agency for the summer. Hell, you might even get some extra credits for doing it.
                      City of New York's Finest

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4889 users online. 258 members and 4631 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X