Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD DQ over Depression??

Hi, quick question

About two years ago, i went to my doc and was diagnosed with Major Depression, (Due to Failing Grades etc). Anyway i over came that without ever visiting a psychiatrist, or every taking any medicine. Followed up with my normal follow up with doctor (regular Doc) and told him that i am very well now, dont have any depression and quite happy now, and have no worries. Can the Psych DQ me for having depression?
    NYPD Exam #3310: September, 2012
    List: 5XXX: May 2013
    APD 5 - 11/14/14
    Medical - 1/12/15 (Passed )
    Written Psych - 3/3/15 (Completed)
    Oral Psych - 2/4/15
    BI Interview - 5/6/15
    New York State Trooper Exam: October 26, 2013
    Score: 95+
    February 13, 2014 Rank: 1xxxx

CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst Exam): Dec 2014
    Status - Currently Going for Round 2?

Originally posted by Jack_rubix View Post
    Hi, quick question

About two years ago, i went to my doc and was diagnosed with Major Depression, (Due to Failing Grades etc). Anyway i over came that without ever visiting a psychiatrist, or every taking any medicine. Followed up with my normal follow up with doctor (regular Doc) and told him that i am very well now, dont have any depression and quite happy now, and have no worries. Can the Psych DQ me for having depression?
    Answered in the NYPD thread. No need to start a new one.
    sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
    DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

what thread mate ? seems too board , can u link me?
      NYPD Exam #3310: September, 2012
      List: 5XXX: May 2013
      APD 5 - 11/14/14
      Medical - 1/12/15 (Passed )
      Written Psych - 3/3/15 (Completed)
      Oral Psych - 2/4/15
      BI Interview - 5/6/15
      New York State Trooper Exam: October 26, 2013
      Score: 95+
      February 13, 2014 Rank: 1xxxx

CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst Exam): Dec 2014
      Status - Currently Going for Round 2?

Comment

The main difference in diagnoses of depression is between chronic and acute forms. That's often correlated to a difference between internal condition and response to external stimuli. Why are you bummed out? Oh 'cause life always sucks even though you won the lottery this week? Sorry here's some nortryptyline. Oh 'cause your friend is having some serious problems? Sorry and that's normal.
        Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 06-12-2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Chronic depression is often characterized as a phasic part of a bipolar disorder.

Sometimes it can be addressed by willful suppression of excessive elation.

In some instances that suppression is spontaneously compensated for in a manner resulting in non-subjection to excessive depression.
          Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 06-12-2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

In my opinion, as long as you have unresolved issues regarding depression, you would do better to not aspire to be the Police.

Comment

Unless you put it down, i dont think they will ever know about ( not saying you should hide anything) they will not request you're medical records unless there is an issue ( failing blood pressure, diabetes, surgeries, or if you put down depression)

Comment

Originally posted by johnq24 View Post
                Unless you put it down, i dont think they will ever know about ( not saying you should hide anything) they will not request you're medical records unless there is an issue ( failing blood pressure, diabetes, surgeries, or if you put down depression)
                I hope you're kidding.

Anything that could influence your performance as a Police Officer should be disclosed.

Lives are on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_rubix View Post
                  Hi, quick question

Can it? Yes definitely.

Will it? Dunno.

Comment

Depression over grades?

Seek employment elsewhere.

Sorry, I'm to the point.
                    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Thats why i said you shouldn't hide anything...

Comment

Hide it or not. They will know who you are after the first couple of answers. Im sure if you deem fit, you have nothing to worry about.

Comment

With all the cops that have committed suicides if you were depressed about grades then this job's is a whole new ball game. Truthfully hope you reconsider you're career options.

Comment

Originally posted by johnq24
                            Thats why i said you shouldn't hide anything...
                            You didn't say that; you said this:

Originally posted by johnq24
                            Saying "(not saying you should hide anything)" is NOT the same as saying "you shouldn't hide anything".

Your message strongly suggests that the applicant attempt nondisclosure.

That's not good advice.
                            Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 06-13-2014, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you had an issue you never sought the proper treatment for. Just because your are not having an issue now doesn't mean you don't still have a problem. Police work is a very mentally challenging career. Most cops know more cops that killed themselves than have been killed in the line of duty. Do everyone a favor get a professional psychological diagnosis before you continue your pursuit of this career. The life you save may be your own.
                              Last edited by BNWS; 06-13-2014, 07:23 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3734 users online. 204 members and 3530 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X