Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm bored and want to answer questions you may have about the academy or impact..Go!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm bored and want to answer questions you may have about the academy or impact..Go!

Title says it all, off for the next couple days and dont have anything to do besides watch netflix, eat and wait for the wife to come home, so go with any - and I mean any - questions you may have.

I will try to answer them all ranging from the hiring process, the academy and Impact (since thats what I am currently doing)

I know when I was on here, happy that I completed my APD-5 I wished for something like this so want to give back.

Go!!
    NYPD

East Harlem

Is it true that you have to draw three pictures during the psychological portion of the process? If so for someone like me who can't draw lol does that play a major factor?

Comment

Originally posted by MLNY95 View Post
      Is it true that you have to draw three pictures during the psychological portion of the process? If so for someone like me who can't draw lol does that play a major factor?
      Lol, yes you have to draw pictures.. They dont care about your potential picaso art abilities, just what they depict from you drawing them.
      NYPD

East Harlem

Comment

do they leave a message if you don't answer the academy call?

What is your take home pay (avg) right now in impact?

What hours do you normally work?

Is the job everything you though it was going to be?

How has being a police officer impacted (no pun intended) your relationship with your family? (Significant other specifically) ?

Your thoughts/feelings and insights so far being a nypd police officer?

I'll def have more thanks man
        On the Job

Comment

How is the work to home life balance? I do plan on marrying my gf of 5 years once we both have our career fields. Obviously I want to be able to spend time with her..

Do you still keep in contact with any of your battle buddies from the academy?

How are the people with you work with?

Comment

Originally posted by Carmeloh View Post
            do they leave a message if you don't answer the academy call?

What is your take home pay (avg) right now in impact?

What hours do you normally work?

Is the job everything you though it was going to be?

How has being a police officer impacted (no pun intended) your relationship with your family? (Significant other specifically) ?

Your thoughts/feelings and insights so far being a nypd police officer?

I'll def have more thanks man
            Definitely some really good questions here.

Yes, they left a message and will keep trying to call you until they get in touch with you. If you are worried about missing the call, give your number to relatives you think you will be around during the weekend calls go out. I know someone who got the call on their dads phone.

My average pay right now is about $1200 in cash. That excludes taxes, PBA dues, health care, deferred comp(5%) and some money into a MCU savings account. This is with ~12 hours of OT for the 2 week pay period which results from arrests and small bits of OT here and there.

A normal tour on patrol for most impact cops is 1930x0405. Its pretty terrible. Some commands have nice hours 1200x2035(103pct) or 1800x0235(PSA 5). What the fail to tell you at the academy is that the ADA leaves at 2300 or 11pm. So, if you are a normal impact cop working 1930x0405 and make an arrest at 0100 you will be doing a day tour the next day and working straight through meaning you will work from 1930 until 1635, usually on no sleep. But, you will then be done as that counts as your tour for the next day and wont need to return to work until 1930, essential getting 24 hours off. You will also make 3hrs and 55 min worth of OT (1930x0405 on straight time, 3hr 55 min on OT, then a 0800x1635 straight time day tour)

Or if you are playing the game right, try to collar on day 5 and make a bunch of money in OT.

It's pretty much exactly what I thought it was going to be with some great things better than I thought and some seriously depressing moments. The first couple months are definitely an eye opener.

My family has been cops in the NYPD since the 60's and my wife is all for it. My mom and wife worried a bit in the beginning but they are used to it by now. When I start my 5 day my wife usually lets me do my thing, working as much as I need to and doesnt break my chops if I need to work later for a collar. This is really, really important. If you are going to come on this job, make sure you are with someone who is stable, because you will experience more things and have more responsibility than you ever had in your life.

Being on the NYPD is great, but we need a raise to compete with the bordering police departments(LI and upstate) and a better contract and some serious extra funding to fix some problems that werent addressed in the previous administration. The new PC seems like hes on top of it though. Still the best job in the world, NYC is like no where else.

Think I answered all of them, keep em coming.
            Last edited by Fast05GT; 06-05-2014, 09:25 AM.
            NYPD

East Harlem

Comment

Originally posted by PoliceSeeker View Post
              How is the work to home life balance? I do plan on marrying my gf of 5 years once we both have our career fields. Obviously I want to be able to spend time with her..

Do you still keep in contact with any of your battle buddies from the academy?

How are the people with you work with?
              Good questions. Life balance can be difficult. It's def tough but you will find ways around it. Vacation is nice because 5 days of your vacation = 10 days off since you would have 3 RDO's, 5 days off, then 2 RDOs again. So thats nice. You'll find ways to see your friends and family, but dont think its going to be anything like working a regular job.

One of my good friends from the academy is in the same pct as me and the rest of the guys I work with are great. I talk to most of the people from my company and some that I met from other companies as well. Some people you didnt like in the academy you will probably never talk to again. But its a small world and even a smaller job, try to remain friendly with everyone, you never know who knows who.

Everyone I work with is great. The midnight guys are seasoned vets, usually with 10+ yrs on, sometimes they are hard to crack a smile but after a while you'll grow on them. Dont be afraid to say hi.
              NYPD

East Harlem

Comment

How does vacation work. Let's say I plan a vacation a year in advance, am I able to get that specific week off? Or do I have to plan my vacation around the nypd?

At top pay can you take your 30 day vacation all at once?(5 weeks off)?

How do days off work? If I need off on this day next month (just saying) can I get it? What about more serious things?

When will you start to get a steady tour (mornings , days, nights) you can pick or no?

Do you see yourself retiring from the nypd in 22 years?

Have you started studying for sgt exam ?( everyone tells me always study starting day one. They say become a boss. Your opinion?

Thank you so much brother I greatly appreciate you taking the time out to answer these!!
                On the Job

Comment

Originally posted by Carmeloh View Post
                  How does vacation work. Let's say I plan a vacation a year in advance, am I able to get that specific week off? Or do I have to plan my vacation around the nypd?

At top pay can you take your 30 day vacation all at once?(5 weeks off)?

How do days off work? If I need off on this day next month (just saying) can I get it? What about more serious things?

When will you start to get a steady tour (mornings , days, nights) you can pick or no?

Do you see yourself retiring from the nypd in 22 years?

Have you started studying for sgt exam ?( everyone tells me always study starting day one. They say become a boss. Your opinion?

Thank you so much brother I greatly appreciate you taking the time out to answer these!!
                  Ok, lets strictly talk about being a PO because during the academy you will NOT get vacation.

The way it works is there is a sheet with all the working weeks for your squad. You will select weeks you want for vacation between your peers, usually the guys with the most time on or lowest tax number pick first. If you 100% have something planned, usually the guys try to work it out and give you the time off. So, technically yes, you can take off 5 weeks in a row, which would really be 50 days off straight but would probably never happen and the bosses would def. say something.

Once you are at top pay there is something called IVD's which are Individual Vacation Days. They are for like turning a 3 day into a 4 day but if its something serious like a wedding or a family engagement and you're supposed to be working, depending on your boss you might be able to take the day, maybe take some lost time or you might not get it at all. It's much tougher to take days and stuff on patrol then it is on Impact.

No picks for tours as far as I am aware, but it would probably be a 4x12 tour for most as that is usually the busiest tour as far as crime goes.

Not sure if I'll def be with the NYPD in 22 years, 100% sure I will not be just a PO. I am studying for the Sgts exam when I have down time, but I cant see myself being just a cop in the NYPD, this job is all about being a boss... I would at least try to go to nassau/suffolk or federal after 5-10 years of just being a PO if I cant past the Sgts test.
                  NYPD

East Harlem

Comment

Originally posted by Fast05GT View Post
                    Ok, lets strictly talk about being a PO because during the academy you will NOT get vacation.

The way it works is there is a sheet with all the working weeks for your squad. You will select weeks you want for vacation between your peers, usually the guys with the most time on or lowest tax number pick first. If you 100% have something planned, usually the guys try to work it out and give you the time off. So, technically yes, you can take off 5 weeks in a row, which would really be 50 days off straight but would probably never happen and the bosses would def. say something.

Once you are at top pay there is something called IVD's which are Individual Vacation Days. They are for like turning a 3 day into a 4 day but if its something serious like a wedding or a family engagement and you're supposed to be working, depending on your boss you might be able to take the day, maybe take some lost time or you might not get it at all. It's much tougher to take days and stuff on patrol then it is on Impact.

No picks for tours as far as I am aware, but it would probably be a 4x12 tour for most as that is usually the busiest tour as far as crime goes.

Not sure if I'll def be with the NYPD in 22 years, 100% sure I will not be just a PO. I am studying for the Sgts exam when I have down time, but I cant see myself being just a cop in the NYPD, this job is all about being a boss... I would at least try to go to nassau/suffolk or federal after 5-10 years of just being a PO if I cant past the Sgts test.
                    Regarding your last paragraph, I Beleive (I heard numerous times) that it's impossible to transfer out of the nypd to something that pays more or federal because the nypd will not release your records to them. This makes it hard for them to verify days of employment and to see how well you did as a cop, complaints against you etc. I heard the nypd is the worst stepping stone for an Leo career.

1. What do you like most about the job
                    2.what do you absolutely HATE about it?
                    Last edited by New-York-Cityian; 06-04-2014, 08:21 PM.
                    NYPD Exam 4324
                    List number 1**

Comment

Originally posted by New-York-Cityian View Post
                      Regarding your last paragraph, I Beleive (I heard numerous times) that it's impossible to transfer out of the nypd to something that pays more or federal because the nypd will not release your records to them. This makes it hard for them to verify days of employment and to see how well you did as a cop, complaints against you etc. I heard the nypd is the worst stepping stone for an Leo career.

1. What do you like most about the job
                      2.what do you absolutely HATE about it?
                      Yea, I've heard stuff like that too, not sure how true it is. I think if an agency wants you had enough, it won't be an issue.

1. That I work for the NYPD. Everyone knows we are the best police department in the world and you can tell. Also, sometimes schedules can work out really nice and you can be off for almost 4 full days every other week. That's something you don't find anywhere but the fire department.

2. Manhattan Central Booking. Christ, it's the worst. I don't know how people who get arrested would ever do something dumb to get themselves arresting again and go back to that sh1t hole. That as well as your perp going sick or EDP can make an easy collar into a nightmare.
                      NYPD

East Harlem

Comment

What are the hours of the tours in the academy?

Is there any room to choose between the tours in the academy?

How would you compare academy classes/ trimester tests to college classes/exams?

How is reliable is the carpooling situation in the academy for those who live in the boroughs?

Is it easy to volunteer for OT on parades/festivals/etc?

How did you feel on your first real tour? (not NYE detail)

Thanks by the way I really appreciate it, and by the way you have a nice set of days to be off both Game 1s of the Stanley Cup and NBA Finals start. #GoRangers
                        NYPD Exam 2344 -- 06/2012 || List# 1XXX -- 01/2013
                        APD 5: - 5/2014 | Medical: 10/14 - Passed | Written Psych: 10/14 - Completed
                        Oral Psych: 11/14 - Passed | BI Meeting: 01/15 - Completed
                        JST: 04/15 - Completed | Mini Med: 04/15 - Completed || GOT THE EMAIL! 07/02/15

Comment

Originally posted by brooklyn's finest View Post
                          What are the hours of the tours in the academy?

Is there any room to choose between the tours in the academy?

How would you compare academy classes/ trimester tests to college classes/exams?

How is reliable is the carpooling situation in the academy for those who live in the boroughs?

Is it easy to volunteer for OT on parades/festivals/etc?

How did you feel on your first real tour? (not NYE detail)

Thanks by the way I really appreciate it, and by the way you have a nice set of days to be off both Game 1s of the Stanley Cup and NBA Finals start. #GoRangers

The tours in the academy are 0700x1530 and 1600x2330, Mon-Fri. They are a couple minutes shorter than regular tours and you don't get a 3rd day, so when you leave the academy you will have your 10 vacation days + ~5 chart days built up to use as you please.

You do not pick if you do day or night tour for the academy, you're told on the last day or orientation.

The academics are pretty basic, see the material and remember it, it's not that hard. But, it's not just the academics, gym is kicking your butt, the instructors are on you all day, the platoon LT is getting on you on the muster deck and RDU is trying to catch you making mistakes and doing something stupid, so it adds a lot to simple course work. You'll be fine.

Carpooling is 1000% possible, just be prepared to potentially pay tolls and you will have to pay for a monthly parking garage. Don't use the one on 19th St, they suck and are more expensive than places an extra block away.

First night was certainly interesting. I, just like everyone, was scared, nervous and didn't know what to expect. I mean when we walked out of the muster room into the streets you would think it was the first 20min of Saving Private Ryan when they were about to land on the beaches. But we all survived, same as you will. Everything kinda kicks in, you make some mistakes that will bother you for a while and maybe get you made fun of for a bit, but you'll figure it out. Just remember, everyone knows your new, including the perps. Look out for one another and come home the same way you went to work.

Haha yea Squad 1 has the holiday schedule this year. Supposed to be off for 4th of July, Christmas and New Years!

Go Rangers!!!!
                          NYPD

East Harlem

Comment

What's the average day like on IMPACT, what kind of calls do you handle?

Do you have a partner on IMPACT, or alone? I've heard some people are alone.

What's your thoughts on them expanding the academy to 9 months to incorporate an FTU program?

How fast did it take you to get into your first fight?

Personal question: What did you do before you got OTJ?

Comment

How long have u been on and where do you work? do they just put you where ever when you get out the of the academy or do you have some sort of say?

Im big into OT. Is it easy to come by if you want it?

I know theres no such thing as a "Normal Night" but what is a normal night like? just hanging out waiting for something to happen, walking around aimlessly?
                              Exam 2302
                              List: 7xx

APD: 5/2013
                              Medical:1/14 -Passed
                              Written & Oral Psych:1/14 - Passed
                              Investigator Interview: 1/14 - Done
                              JST - 3/14 - Passed
                              Mini Med - 5/14 - Passed
                              Ringing Phone - 7/5 - Picked Up

NYSP
                              97.xx List 67xx

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4359 users online. 290 members and 4069 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X