300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Surgeon

Just out of curiosity I see a lot of police surgeon placards from various agencies on POV. What exactly is a police surgeon? Is it what the name implies like a city coroner or something?

It is usually a Doctor that does physicals for members of a department. He/she may also determine if a member is fit for duty, following an injury/illness.
    I have never heard of one acting as a coroner or similar function.

Comment

Maybe not a coroner I just put that out there for example. thanks for enlightening me. I read a lot of those placards are bought on the web that a lot are fake

Comment

They are medical doctors that work for the NYPD. Their job is to determine an officers fitness for duty after reporting sick for an injury or illness. The NYPD has an unlimited sick policy(which is not really unlimited) instead of workmans comp. There are pros and cons to the policy. the pro is you collect your full salary while on sick report(this applies to off duty injuries also). The cons are they can tell you where and when you have to work. The Police surgeon holds the equated rank of Police Inspector. Run afoul of one and you'll regret it. I know guys that have been fired as a result of run ins with a police surgeon.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
          They are medical doctors that work for the NYPD. Their job is to determine an officers fitness for duty after reporting sick for an injury or illness. The NYPD has an unlimited sick policy(which is not really unlimited) instead of workmans comp. There are pros and cons to the policy. the pro is you collect your full salary while on sick report(this applies to off duty injuries also). The cons are they can tell you where and when you have to work. The Police surgeon holds the equated rank of Police Inspector. Run afoul of one and you'll regret it. I know guys that have been fired as a result of run ins with a police surgeon.

1. So youll have to go to this "police surgeon" even if you have a cold and feel better? any and every illness?

and 2.
          Why is it not -really- unlimited sick leave?
          NYPD Exam 4324
          List number 1**

Comment

In the NYPD there are 2 types of sick administrative and regular sick. Administrative sick allows you to go sick for two days w/o having to report to the police surgeons office. Adminitrative sick has to approved by first a supervisor from your command and then the sick desk, either one can deny you based your sick record or if major events or holidays are taking place. If denied you can either head into work or choose regular sick. Regular sick requires you to report to your district surgeon(a police surgeon) the day after you report sick. When you sit down with the surgeon you will explain whats wrong and he/she will tell you when to report to work and at what capacity. This goes for everything from the sniffles, broken bones gunshot wounds to cancer and everything in between.
            Its not really unlimited because after a certain amount of time if you are not able to perform the duties of police officer the department will move to get you off the job.

Comment

Theres a whole lot more to the sick policy but thats it in a nutshell. Feel free to ask anymore questions

Comment

Hmm I never knew that, the nypd makes it seem so attractive having "unlimited sick pay" on thier benefits page. Interesting none the less thanks for the answer!
                NYPD Exam 4324
                List number 1**

Comment

Thank god for unlimited sick.

There are guys who have battled cancer and other ailments while on the unlimited sick schedule.

Is it 100%? No. But I would not have it any other way. As with everything there are stipulations and rules.

If you don't know yet, the nypd patrol guide is over 2200 pages long, not including another several hundred in the administrative guide and other procedure books out there for the executive staff.

There are a lot of rules and regulations on the job, it's not all a cake walk.
                  Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by New-York-Cityian View Post
                    Hmm I never knew that, the nypd makes it seem so attractive having "unlimited sick pay" on thier benefits page. Interesting none the less thanks for the answer!
                    Its very attractive. I know guys that were in off duty car accidents that were out sick for months and never lost a days pay. Same with guys with cancer. All those rules are there to stop guys from taking advantage of a great benefit. Believe me I've had a long term illness and I never lost a days pay. But my point being was there are limits and the variables to those limits are just too numerous to get into on a post. I didn't mean to make it sound like the website was misleading. You would be hard pressed to beat the NYPD in benefits. If there was something I was unclear about just ask and ill try to explain it better. Many a NYPD cop and their family benefited from the sick policy from illnesses and injuries unrelated to work and never had to deal with workmans comp and NEVER LOST A DAYS PAY.

Comment

Just a side note, if you are involved in an accident or "slip and fall" case, you will be dealing with workers comp, although indirectly, they are directly involved.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                        Just a side note, if you are involved in an accident or "slip and fall" case, you will be dealing with workers comp, although indirectly, they are directly involved.
                        This is something I never heard before. Can you explain further? thanks.

Comment

Workers comp limits your chiropractic visits and other doctor visits. It's not an unlimited amount of visits for physical therapy either. Everything has to be ran through workers comp and proper nypd channels for approval.

This goes for accidents, slip falls, injuries that require physical therapy and chiropractic visits to get you 100%.

So therefor it comes out of workers comp. not medical.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5898 users online. 337 members and 5561 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X