300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting New York City

I have been to NYC more times than I can count, but I have never done the touristy thing and I have not been since 9/11. I should have made more solid plans much farther in advance as it seems that there are limited tickets available for purchase. We're planning to visit the 9/11 memorial and museum, the statue of liberty, public library, and probably try to catch a show. Anyone have any tips or must sees for a visitor?
    "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Central Park, Times Square in the evening, a walk over the bridge, check out the knockoffs on canal
    10-09 0308 XXX
    Time Flies Quick
    On This Job

Comment

The intrepid(no guns). Make sure the cabs don't rip you off. They purposely take a "detour", they prey on tourists.
      Last edited by SkellTF; 05-22-2014, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Free Staten Island Ferry ride for great photo ops of lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty.

Comment

Thanks! We'll probably head over to Central Park at some point.

I'm pretty sure cab drivers try to rip tourists off everywhere. I got pretty mad once in Minneapolis when a cab driver "got lost" on the way to our destination. Since then I generally use gps to follow where the cab is going in unfamiliar cities. This time I think we'll be sticking to walking or the metro (or whatever you call it around here).
          "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Tons of street festivals in the summer. There are plenty of links of things to do if you google NYC events calenderlike this one.
            http://www.events12.com/newyork/july/

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate them! The calendar is really helpful!

Comment

There are lots of other sites. The internet is great. Most weekends there is more than 1 event going on. If you got enough time before your trip use the internet and you'll find theres a whole lot more than just the usual tourist trap places.

Comment

Honestly.. if you want to see NYC for what it is you need a few months.
                  Where you're going to is pretty touristy stuff, pretty expensive too, so I'll give you more affordable alternatives.

1. Central Park (free).. seriously its so huge and fun exploring and walking around aimlessly.. you might end up in a swamp or something (I found a few vulture eggs in a nest) cool stuff.

2. Prospect park (free)in brookyln, just as HUGEEE its like wooded. make sure you have a phone because if you're lost itll be hard to find your way out.

3. Museum of natural history (any donation amount, I just donate 1 dollar) in Manhattan.. my favorite museum. You will learn a ton of things and its just so fascinating, especially the area with the big blue life-size whale.

3. uhmmm.. bowling, pool anywhere lol

4. MET museum (1 dollar donation or more) my second favorite, pretty much like natural history a bit but nothing tops natural history museum

5. walk the brooklyn bridge from start to end

6. 9/11 memorial

7. bronx zoo... has some cool animals, free on wednesdays if I remember correctly, a ton of animals like lions, monkeys, sea lion, bats, etc.

8. I can think of a LOOOOOT more but itll take ages to type them all

edit:
                  Last edited by New-York-Cityian; 05-22-2014, 10:25 PM.
                  NYPD Exam 4324
                  List number 1**

Comment

You should do some planning before coming to NYC to get the most out of your trip. If done right you should come back from your NYC vacation needing a rest. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                      You should do some planning before coming to NYC to get the most out of your trip. If done right you should come back from your NYC vacation needing a rest. LOL.
                      That's how I try to make all of my vacations. Feeling tired is a sign of time well spent! This is a three week vacation, but unfortunately only a last minute weekend trip to NYC. There's always next time to check off more on the to do list if I don't make it to everything. Perhaps I won't wait another decade to return!

Comment

I disagree on the 9/11 museum.....total rip of and run by bastards who want to get rich of off a tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by obey33 View Post
                          I disagree on the 9/11 museum.....total rip of and run by bastards who want to get rich of off a tragedy.
                          I get what you're saying, but there isn't any reason not to go and show respect. You can walk into the memorial now, no more of that on line waiting for a ticket.

Comment

It's a shame how people vandalize the memorial (I saw a poster of this when I went last time)

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/28..._r=0&referrer=

Give them 10 years in prison. That would teach then a lesson.
                            NYPD Exam 4324
                            List number 1**

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4168 users online. 263 members and 3905 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X