300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nypd edu hold(how to?)

Last edited by Absolit3; 11-13-2014, 05:05 PM.

You can fix it in a couple of weeks by contacting several colleges that can take care of GPA issues. Try Excelsior College and work your way from there.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
      You can fix it in a couple of weeks by contacting several colleges that can take care of GPA issues. Try Excelsior College and work your way from there.
      more details if you can

Comment

If I'm not mistaken when you go in for the initial medical you need to bring proof of at least 45 credits and you GPA on a transcript. Our APD 5 needs to be finalized by June 27 usually takes anywhere from 2-6 months to be scheduled for medical. That may be enough time to fix your GPA maybe a summer class or as NYCTNT said in his response you can go that route as well.
        NYPD EXAM 3308
        List Numer
        APD 5- Completed
        Initial Medical - Completed
        Psych Written- completed
        JST- Completed
        BI Interview - Completed
        Mini Med - Completed
        July 2015 acadamy here I come

Comment

Originally posted by larryfieldii View Post
          I got my APD 5 letter in the mail, due 6/27. Sadly I wasn't prepared and my GPA is at 1.9 . Does anyone know how I can put myself on EDU hold until I raise my GPA?
          You should probably forget about joining law enforcement until after you've gotten serious about your education pull your GPA up to at least a 3.0

I had a serious TBI in college and my semester after that wasn't even that bad.

Comment

It's not hard to drop from a 3.0 to a 1.x with a D and a F.

It all depends on the amount of classes taken during the time frame along with overall grades.

Comment

Originally posted by daguan47 View Post
              You should probably forget about joining law enforcement until after you've gotten serious about your education pull your GPA up to at least a 3.0

I had a serious TBI in college and my semester after that wasn't even that bad.
              The best and smartest cops I know aren't the smartest in the books. You shouldn't judge on someones GPA and tell them they shouldn't be in law enforcement. There is a HUGE difference between being educated and being intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by SkellTF View Post
                ..There is a HUGE difference between being educated and being intelligent..
                Well said..

Comment

Originally posted by SkellTF View Post
                  The best and smartest cops I know aren't the smartest in the books. You shouldn't judge on someones GPA and tell them they shouldn't be in law enforcement. There is a HUGE difference between being educated and being intelligent.
                  Yes, but I bet those best and smartest cops you know care about their job and work hard not just at their job, but to better themselves at it. To pull less than a 2.0 GPA you have to not apply yourself at all I'd be amazed if OP ever read his syllabus, if he didn't throw it out first. If a student is struggling the school will have programs to help said student ranging from remedial classes to free tutoring or writing or math coaches for whatever area that student struggles in.

Comment

I was never strong in school, neither in college, neither now while trying to get my law degree. I guess school is the new measurement instrument now for intelligence?

For some people. You can throw 100 remedial classes at them and it's still no cake walk, give them a physical obstacle to complete and they will get it done.

I have plenty of cops all around me who never went to college and got hired while only having. 2 years military. I guess they are not educated enough?.

Bottom line is, he might have had one or two "F" grades but things happen.

I remember when I first attended community college. I was late 5 times, absent once. This new professor, who was young and gung-ho failed me simply because of my lateness and nothing else. I appealed and pled and my grades were damn stellar in that class. It didn't matter. Still got that F.

Should I have not been late to a class that starts at 0700 and takes me an hour or so to get in school? Yeah, I should have got up even earlier. That grade threw my average in the crapper(my opinion of a crap grade).

Moral of the story, we don't know why he is below, nor do I care.

To the OP. I gave you basic information, it is up to you to feed upon it and use the internet for further information. Don't worry, you can call them too. Just say you want to improve your GPA and have a transcript modified. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by daguan47 View Post
                      Yes, but I bet those best and smartest cops you know care about their job and work hard not just at their job, but to better themselves at it. To pull less than a 2.0 GPA you have to not apply yourself at all I'd be amazed if OP ever read his syllabus, if he didn't throw it out first. If a student is struggling the school will have programs to help said student ranging from remedial classes to free tutoring or writing or math coaches for whatever area that student struggles in.
                      Talking smoke brother. You are not on the job to rationalize that opinion.

I have worked for some of the most educated people I have met with doctorates, masters, etc. they could not make a right decision if a gun was held at their temple.

Overall book smarts is good to have but a poor thing to utilize in police work. Common sense and patterns are a great tool. Not how to write a thesis or E=MC2.

Comment

NYCTNT.......Keep plugging away......you'll get the JD. I was a college drop-out in the 60's, went back and finished my degree. Sixteen years later made it into law school. Had a successful career in the Courts. You can and will succeed. Once you pull the pin you will reap the benefits of today's struggle.

Comment

Although I'm not on the job I completely agree with NYCTNT, at my current place of employment I've had coworkers with graduate degrees that couldn't tell left from right, and then coworkers that have learned from years of experience in the field without a semester of college that are excellent in their field of employment.

PS Congrats NYCTNT on law school I know that's extremely tough.

Comment

It all depends on the amount of classes taken during the time frame along with overall grades.
                            I had a 3.7 GPA and got a D in chemistry (worst class ever.. ) along with other B's as a full time sstudent and it only fell to 3.5 or something

1.9 isn't the best not to offend you or anything but damn, step your game up dude.
                            you'll have time to fix it.
                            NYPD Exam 4324
                            List number 1**

Comment

That's not hard to do if he has less than 30 credits and is a straight C student. However, he made no mention of his credits in his post so I'm assuming he has at least 45.

Right now he is investing his time and money into his education and the return of a 1.9 GPA says to me he just does not care enough.

I suggested he took his time to right his wrong and focus on bringing his gap up to a 3.0 because if he can do that and get a degree it would show he does in fact care, or at least now he is capable of caring and will develop a work ethic he can bring to the job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4542 users online. 239 members and 4303 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X