Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/12 hour tours (NYPD)

Hello,

Any OTJ guys know anything about future changes to the NYPD regarding 10 and 12 hour tours? Is it being talked about at all by Bratton?

I think this would be a great start to boost morale in the dept. (but who am I anyway)

Thoughts?
    On the Job

Don't read thee rant.

Don't speculate anything until it happens. Until then, it's all a fantasy.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Ahh Dam aright..

You have any opinion on the subject?
      On the Job

Comment

Opinion other than a large amount of members actually want 10 hours shifts? (I did look into it with the reingeneering team and it's true, many guys and girls requested it)

It would be great. More time off, better family time.

Not much else to say except don't bank on it, eve though Bratton is a good man, who knows if a nyc bean counter can counter act and say "no good" to the mayor.

This may also have to be contractual as special ops cops get 18 extra days off with steady days off by working 8:35/each day.

It's not as easy as waving a wand and saying presto.
        Last edited by NYCTNT; 05-05-2014, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Its never going to happen, but just to go along with the mass, no 12 hour tours for me. Many factors effect this, OT, sleep, having a life, etc.

I advocate reading thee rant. Its, eh, its mind opening to say the least.
          Last edited by SkellTF; 05-05-2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
            Don't read thee rant.

That's exactly what I said, lol.

The Rant is NOTHING more than entertainment, people!
            sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
            DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

NYCTNT wrote:

"This may also have to be contractual as Special Ops cops get 18 extra days off with steady days off by working 8:35/each day."

Every cop works 8:35, the extra time, when it adds up. becomes a "chart day", the "special Ops" are not getting 18 "extra" days off, they get the same amount of days off.
              It is just that the patrol cops have that "chart day" built into their schedule, they get a 3rd day off every other week. That 3rd day comes out of the chart days.
              In the end, they work the same amount of appearences.

There have been/are some NYPD units doing 12 hour tours.
              I did them for a while.
              They are not as good as some make them out to be. A 12 hour day is a long day.
              It helps if you live close and it is not busy. You do not want to have a busy day and then have a one and a half hour ride home. You 12 hour day is now 14.5 hours. it adds up. After a while, it wears on you. The time off is great, but when you are working, the hours are long.

Comment

Sled, I was not going to go into a big symphony about chart days.

Just the bottom line question is how would they mix it up or just lose chart days.

Comment

Chart days have to do with overtime performed to cover the 'gap" when changing shifts, it is meant to provide coverage while a shift dresses, trains and does roll call. This time, in excess of an 8 hour day. It builds up in the bank until it "becomes a day". It would still build up, it would just take longer to "become a day".

If there were two 12 hour platoons, there would still need to be an overlap to provide patrol on a continuing basis while the incoming platoon was changing/training/roll call and so on.

Would it look the same? Who knows, that would be a negotiation issue. But, it would probably have a similar look to it.
                  Last edited by Sled; 05-06-2014, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                    Don't read thee rant.

You are correct about Thee Rant.

Comment

Troopers do 12 hours. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Comment

NCPD, MTAPD, Troopers all do 12 hour tours. As jaguarshark said, wouldn't trade them for anything. Can't beat showing up to work 13 days a month!

Comment

The last time this idea was thrown around, it was suggested by an outside audit ordered by Ray Kelly. The PBA immediately shut down the idea in the media because it would mean less OT. Pat Lynch made that statement without even polling the membership. Not that Kelly would have agreed to do it, anyway.

Bratton, thankfully, knows more about what cops want than his predecessor. If this is what the majority wants, and it's feasible and within his control, he'll do it. It's seriously time for new PBA leadership, but that's a different story. Now that I'm in a union that actually works for it's members, the difference is night and day. I lost all PBA respect when they removed the student loan payback program because Pat Lynch was upset he wasn't consulted on it. It costed NOTHING to the city, the union, or the members. Anyhow, I digress.

I haven't spoken to and MOS in any rank who wouldn't be interested in doing 10 or 12. The old chart is terribly outdated, and we all know it. I don't doubt that a polling of all MOS would prove the heavy interest. Will there be kinks in overlap and implementation? Of course, but it's obviously doable. It's not reinventing the wheel, as plenty of departments do it.
                          sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                          DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalFrenchie View Post
                            The last time this idea was thrown around, it was suggested by an outside audit ordered by Ray Kelly. The PBA immediately shut down the idea in the media because it would mean less OT. Pat Lynch made that statement without even polling the membership. Not that Kelly would have agreed to do it, anyway.

Bratton, thankfully, knows more about what cops want than his predecessor. If this is what the majority wants, and it's feasible and within his control, he'll do it. It's seriously time for new PBA leadership, but that's a different story. Now that I'm in a union that actually works for it's members, the difference is night and day. I lost all PBA respect when they removed the student loan payback program because Pat Lynch was upset he wasn't consulted on it. It costed NOTHING to the city, the union, or the members. Anyhow, I digress.

I haven't spoken to and MOS in any rank who wouldn't be interested in doing 10 or 12. The old chart is terribly outdated, and we all know it. I don't doubt that a polling of all MOS would prove the heavy interest. Will there be kinks in overlap and implementation? Of course, but it's obviously doable. It's not reinventing the wheel, as plenty of departments do it.
                            The PBA's contract proposal to the city included a 10 hour 30 minute shift or a 12 hour 15 minute shift. Everything I have read is that the PBA is pushing for longer shifts and less appearances. I also remember reading an article a couple of years ago saying the city went to the PBA about that as well because it would save them money in OT, but the PBA denied it because they wanted to discuss a new contract and the city balked at that.

Comment

12 hour tours in the 44 or the 75 would be bad for cops.
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3178 users online. 175 members and 3003 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X