Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYS Retirement System: PFRS Questions

Hello All,

I was hoping someone here is better versed in the retirement system than I am; I am trying to solve a few questions I just cant figure out myself.

I currently am in the PFRS system for full-time local police as a tier 5 under 384(d). My questions are:

1) I get that when I retire in 20 years my pension is 50% of my calculated FAS (with the tier 5 restrictions). Does my pension increase if I stay past 20 years? (I cant tell if 384e applies to everyone or only if you are specifically in 384e)

2) I received a letter stating I owe $426 in mandatory service credit costs for when I worked part time. Is this something I should be asking for more information about (Possibly lawyer?). It doesn't give any other details except the dates when I worked part-time police. And when I pay this, should I pay it with payroll deduction (doesn't say if pre or post tax) or should I use my pre-tax 457b deferred comp?

3) I also received a letter stating that I am eligible to purchase 0.5 year of credit for non member service from when I worked as parking enforcement for a local govt. The cost of this is $303 and it states that it does not count towards my 20 years and it only counts towards "any other benefit which might become payable, such as a vested retirement, disability retirement or death benefit".

If anyone has some input on this, I thank you ahead of time!
    Stephen

If you are in 384-D then you don't have any enhanced retirement or else you would be enrolled in 384-E which provides 1/60th for each service year after 20 up to 32 years.

With regards to your part time police officer credit, when were you employed (years) and were you enrolled in a pension system by your employer?

Buying your parking enforcement time back won't do anything for you since it's only six months and you aren't eligible for for a vested pension based on six months. Additionally since your department doesn't have 1/60ths after 20 years, there would be no monetary gain for it to be added onto your 20 years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4595 users online. 296 members and 4299 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X