300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will you enforce it?

18 days left until civilians are forced to register there "assault weapons". Will YOU as an individual LEO collar a civilian for failure to abide by this unconstitutional law? I'd rather hand in my gun and shield, but unfortunately many cops in my very command would jump at the chance, it is truly sad. To all the active LEO's and future LEO's, remember, we all retire one day.

Has you agency issued a policy with respect to enforcement?
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Other than a domestic violence situation, absolutely not.

Comment

SkellTF.....This is just a "technical" law. How would you go about enforcing the law? I doubt any governmental jurisdiction will send police officers to every residence to check if the occupants have unregistered "assault" weapons. No court would have a problem tossing such an order. Additionally, simply viewing someone carrying an "assault" weapon is not grounds to check if it is registered. There is a recent case where a licensed pistol permit holder was arrested for more than 7 rounds in a mag when an officer checked the legally possessed weapon during a traffic stop. Case tossed, no PC to search the mag. Arrests will come if the NYSP establishes the database and the weapon is used in a crime.

Comment

Originally posted by SkellTF View Post
          18 days left until civilians are forced to register there "assault weapons". Will YOU as an individual LEO collar a civilian for failure to abide by this unconstitutional law? I'd rather hand in my gun and shield, but unfortunately many cops in my very command would jump at the chance, it is truly sad. To all the active LEO's and future LEO's, remember, we all retire one day.
          It's not just "civilians" who must register their so called assault weapons. Active LEOs also have to register their personally owned so called assault weapons that were purchased prior to Jan 15 2013 if you want to be able to keep them after separation from the job.

Many of you may say "I won't enforce it.", but when your pensions and careers are on the line, I doubt many would actually disobey the orders from the management.

Comment

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
            It's not just "civilians" who must register their so called assault weapons. Active LEOs also have to register their personally owned so called assault weapons that were purchased prior to Jan 15 2013 if you want to be able to keep them after separation from the job.

Many of you may say "I won't enforce it.", but when your pensions and careers are on the line, I doubt many would actually disobey the orders from the management.
            That is not true at all. There is a provision in the law that allows you to not register during your career and even continue to accrue and be able to keep them so long as you register them within 60 days of retirement. The "gray" area is that you were supposed to be qualified on them with your department in with the last 12 months before retirement. The real question is, when you register, how do they know what you did or did not qualify with. The registration system is so screwed up now they don't even send you a confirmation or even a registration card. There is no proof you even registered.

The other question, is how do you guys even plan to enforce it? If someone tells you they registered the gun, you have no way to prove otherwise. As it sits now only the State Police have access to the database and its your words against the owners words.

Just remember fellas, when you swore in on that first day, you took an oath to uphold the constitution. That comes foremost in this case when you are dealing with an unconstitutional law.

The section of law you are looking for is Penal Law § 400.00, 16-a, (a-1)
            Last edited by nc_6; 03-29-2014, 10:05 AM.

Comment

NYSP stated they're not going to enforce the magazine capacity ruling, of 7 rounds in a 10 round magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by SkellTF View Post
                Bottom line is this- if your personal convictions place you at odds with the law you have the option to petition for a change in the law while also letting your employer know you are now in the position of deciding for yourself what laws you will elect to enforce.

The net result may be two things: the law may change and your employer may also.
                Originally posted by SSD
                It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11903 users online. 455 members and 11448 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X