Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how many hours a week can an NYPD detective work in overtime???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how many hours a week can an NYPD detective work in overtime???

Please don't nail me to the cross for this question and yes I know, get in first and then worry about salary...but im just curious.

How many hours in overtime per week can an NYPD detective work? I mean is it capped? Or can they work it almost like a second job (40 hours in OT per week)???

thanks for the info

Depends on the command, period.

If I go any further, NYCTNT will nail ME to the cross
    sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
    DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Depends on what bureau.

35-55hrs a month cap.

Listen to your question and understand how absurd it is. You think some Dets or anyone for that matter will be allowed to work an extra 2,000hours for the year?

At a rate of $75/hr times 2,000hrs, that's $150k.
      Last edited by NYCTNT; 02-08-2014, 05:31 PM.
      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
        Depends on what bureau.

35-55hrs a month cap.

Listen to your question and understand how absurd it is. You think some Dets or anyone for that matter will be allowed to work an extra 2,000hours for the year?

Come work where I do... I can hit 1000 hrs easy in a 4 month period with forced OT because of how short handed we are.. Its like putting a band aid on a gushing wound.... I would hope the OP would have more pressing questions such as getting on the job.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

If it's money you're focused on, you want to be a Traffic Officer in California. Last year one of CHP's people made $114,000 in overtime.

http://publicpay.ca.gov/Reports/Posi...oyeeid=5265628

Come to California. We have sun, nice weather (no hurricanes), little snow, good humidity, good pay, great food, no city income tax, street parking and a condo in the city won't cost you over $1 million.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
            Come work where I do... I can hit 1000 hrs easy in a 4 month period with forced OT because of how short handed we are.. Its like putting a band aid on a gushing wound.... I would hope the OP would have more pressing questions such as getting on the job.
            Where do you work? Philly PD???

Comment

Or he can come to NYCDOC where officers make 90-120 hrs OT/month on a regular. It is forced overtime by the way; Overtime sounds all good and dandy but it consumes your life and i am not interested.

Depends on what bureau.

35-55hrs a month cap.

Comment

I am actually contemplating a move to California, actually looking at departments like the LAPD, any insights?

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                If it's money you're focused on, you want to be a Traffic Officer in California. Last year one of CHP's people made $114,000 in overtime.

http://publicpay.ca.gov/Reports/Posi...oyeeid=5265628

Come to California. We have sun, nice weather (no hurricanes), little snow, good humidity, good pay, great food, no city income tax, street parking and a condo in the city won't cost you over $1 million.

Comment

Depends on what bureau.

35-55hrs a month cap.

Port Authority PD could get away with that, apparently. Some Sgt. made close to 180k in OT on top of his 107k base. Good lawd.
                  Exam: 2326 - 01/12
                  Score: 100+
                  List #: XX
                  APD: 01/14
                  Academy: We may have flying cars by then...

Comment

Not in nypd. Anything over about 50hrs for the MONTH, management would get a panic attack.
                    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCSFINEST View Post
                      I am actually contemplating a move to California, actually looking at departments like the LAPD, any insights?
                      Don't know anything about LAPD. Just know that CHP has OT up the ying yang if you want it. Most of CHP's OT comes from two areas. First are OT details such as traffic control for freeway maintenance and construction in the metro areas. There is so much of it that it's hard to fill.

The other comes from court OT on traffic citations and DUI arrests. There is a four hour minimum call back time for court if it is outside your normal shift house. Swing shift and graveyard personnel clean up on that. I knew one officer who was well known for making DUI arrests at end of watch, which usually generated an extra four hours OT just for the arrest. He would also grab traffic accident report calls at end of watch, which would run him into more OT. That, combined with OT from his traffic tickets made him literally the highest earner in the entire CHP for several years. When he retired, OT for his Area Office dropped so much that his Captain got a sommendation for OT reduction because no one in HQ and Division realized he alone was responsioble for generating most of it.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5607 users online. 389 members and 5218 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X