Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attorney's and Traffic Tickets

To my fellow LEO's in NY,

I was at a family gathering yesterday and a cousin from New York City told me that in NY if you are cited for a traffic violation you are required to bring an attorney with you to court. This struck me as odd, as an officer in PA we rarely ever have attorney's show up to traffic court. Usually they only show up if it's a DUI related citation or if the defendant is appealing the case. My questions to you;

1. Is this true?
    2. If so, why is that? doesn't it cost more money to provide public defenders?

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Originally posted by philaleo View Post

I was at a family gathering yesterday and a cousin from New York City told me that in NY if you are cited for a traffic violation you are required to bring an attorney with you to court. This struck me as odd, as an officer in PA we rarely ever have attorney's show up to traffic court. Usually they only show up if it's a DUI related citation or if the defendant is appealing the case. My questions to you;

1. Is this true?

false.

Comment

No.

Especially not true in nyc.

No further information to provide. Case closed.
      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

I'm more interested in why this person would tell you that... Lol.

Comment

There is no requirement to have an attorney represent you in traffic court in New York. Outside of cities covered by state Traffic Violations Bureaus, the prosecutors will negotiate with the offender whether represented by an attorney or not. As a matter of fact, it is possible to have an attorney appear on your behalf by giving him a Power of Attorney. This is true in all traffic courts in New York.

Comment

Originally posted by philaleo View Post

1. Is this true?

Yep, totally untrue. There are ambulance-chasing types at traffic court who try to hawk clients as they check-in, but no such requirement for representation exists. On top of it, in NYC and some other counties in the state, traffic court is handled by an arm of the DMV and not the local courts (due to the amount of violations processed that would otherwise clog up the courts).
            sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
            DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

yep I figured it was bull****, thanks again to all.

Comment

DMV operated TVBs are nothing more than kangaroo courts to raise revenue for the government. I've yet to see a jurisdiction with a clogged court where traffic tickets are handled as part of the local criminal court, i.e., Nassau County.

Comment

Not Required like others have mentioned....

But in NYC, it's probably within a traffic violators best interest to commission an attorney...even if the Ambulance-chasing type.

just my opinion.

Comment

Not if judge fink is still striking the gavel in manhattan!

Comment

Not only is it not required for a simple traffic infraction, in most parts of the state it's absolutely ridiculous to even consider it. In most cases, as long as you don't have an absurd number of prior violations, a moving violation will be knocked down to a parking violation whether or not you have an attorney. The only difference is that those who hire an attorney will have an additional fee to pay.

Comment

BNAAB has them. I wonder what they charge the motorist.

Comment

Every NYC aab have the vultures running around. They mostly work with reckless cab drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by SLDPD View Post
                            BNAAB has them. I wonder what they charge the motorist.
                            On the spot pricing...So depending on the amount of violations and the complication of the violations. Anything from $150-$400.

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                            Every NYC aab have the vultures running around. They mostly work with reckless cab drivers.
                            Yup!!!

Comment

I had some civilians hire them. So regardless the motorist still loses money.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4260 users online. 267 members and 3993 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X