300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEMA Credits .....again

Hey guys? I've been a long time lurker, so i'm not new to these forums. I've been researching for the longest, but i can't seem to grasp the whole FEMA credit concept.
    I'm on FEMA's website and i see a list of free courses that provide study guides and tests. I also came across another site (emergency study) that has FEMA courses for $79. I am totally lost as far as what to take and what to pay for ..... Please don't crucify me for asking super common questions on these boards. I've searched and the information obtained is very broad. Someone who has recently received FEMA credits would be a great help!

Originally posted by patrickg112 View Post
    Hey guys? I've been a long time lurker, so i'm not new to these forums. I've been researching for the longest, but i can't seem to grasp the whole FEMA credit concept.
    I'm on FEMA's website and i see a list of free courses that provide study guides and tests. I also came across another site (emergency study) that has FEMA courses for $79. I am totally lost as far as what to take and what to pay for ..... Please don't crucify me for asking super common questions on these boards. I've searched and the information obtained is very broad. Someone who has recently received FEMA credits would be a great help!
    The FEMA Independent Study Program is designed to reach a wide audience of emergency management centric training consumers. You need not pay a cent to take a FEMA Course- they are 100% online and only require registration when you take the online exam for each course. While some folks have been known to pay for the privately developed “study courses” they in my opinion are only designed to pass the tests. This distills the intent of the program.

Simply put- go to https://training.fema.gov/IS/crslist.aspx and select the course you want/need. Either take the online lesson(s) and then the final exam or download the course materials- study them and return later to take the exam. If you pass the exam you will receive an email with a certificate of completion.

When I say want/need- NEED is because some agencies require completion of FEMA courses due to agency policy or other requirements and WANT is for those doing them for professional development, personal enrichment or to garner some quick college credits.

Some courses have been evaluated for college (lower level) credits- some colleges will take the completed courses “raw” which is to say they will accept a transcript which can be requested from FEMA and may apply certain courses for 100 or 200 level elective credits. There is a link on the FEMA site that provides additional information on this- give it a read and then work the Google using “FEMA+college credits” as search terms; there are a TON of sites that cover this subject in depth.

There are several schools that will do this and one is listed on the FEMA site- some do it as a “credit banking” feature for matriculating students or those who just need a consolidated transcript, and others such as FCC will transcript some of the courses for a per credit fee; but you will need to do some homework to determine which school or option is best for you.

If I were to suggest a focus for LE types to start, with it would be:

IS-100.b Introduction to Incident Command System, ICS-100 (or the LE focused version)

IS-200.b ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents

IS-546.a Continuity of Operations Awareness Course

IS-547.a Introduction to Continuity of Operations

IS-700.a National Incident Management System (NIMS) An Introduction

IS-800.b National Response Framework, An Introduction

From there you should explore the hundred+ courses that are very relevant to the job.

As for using this program to garner quick credits to meet the minimum requirements for a LE position; bear in mind and as noted earlier, completion of the courses alone DOES NOT convey college credit- you will need to explore what I mentioned above.

I will say that if you take them, pass and then add them to your resume or application it can be a good and bad thing. Good in that it shows you have a foundation in EM – bad if your completion dates for more than one or two courses are all the same or if I ask what NIMS/ICS means and you are befuddled…
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I will add that 99.999% of the courses you take the certificate of completion (or sorry you failed email) will come via the email address you provide –EACH TIME- you “register” to take a final exam, there is one certificate that will come by mail if you meet the requirements. This is the Professional Development Series (PDS) program.

The Professional Development Series includes seven Emergency Management Institute independent study courses that provide a well-rounded set of fundamentals for those in the emergency management profession. Many students build on this foundation to develop their careers.

Students who complete all the courses will receive a PDS Certificate of Completion. The courses, in recommended order of completion, are:

• IS-120.a - An Introduction to Exercises

• IS-230.c - Fundamentals of Emergency Management

• IS-235.b - Emergency Planning

• IS-240.a - Leadership & Influence

• IS-241.a - Decision Making and Problem Solving

• IS-242.a - Effective Communication

• IS-244.b - Developing and Managing Volunteers
      It is an enhanced foundation program that uses the above cited courses to develop the Emergency Management Professional (or anyone who elects to work through them). As noted, they will mail you a certificate that is much like the individual course completion certs but this one says Professional Development Series.

The program is recognized and is worth the effort to complete- more so since its timely and FREE.
      See: http://training.fema.gov/EMIweb/PDS/
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

You dont have to use the colleges listed. Thomas Edison in nj accept the credits and will add them all in one transcript for about $500. Excelsior college in ny also does this.
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Question those credits will meet the requirements for nypd fdny and doc?

Comment

If the appropriate college transfers them to a transcript. Yes.
            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
              I will add that 99.999% of the courses you take the certificate of completion (or sorry you failed email) will come via the email address you provide –EACH TIME- you “register” to take a final exam, there is one certificate that will come by mail if you meet the requirements. This is the Professional Development Series (PDS) program.

It is an enhanced foundation program that uses the above cited courses to develop the Emergency Management Professional (or anyone who elects to work through them). As noted, they will mail you a certificate that is much like the individual course completion certs but this one says Professional Development Series.

The program is recognized and is worth the effort to complete- more so since its timely and FREE.
              See:

How many credits do you earn for the PDS?

Thanks

Comment

does nassau community college accept them?

Comment

Thomas Edison State College - at $467 for up to 60 credits. (they only accept 39 femas though).

Fredrick Community College- at $79 per credit.

I believe Charter Oak and Excelsior do it also.
                  New York City Department of Correction and US Army. 🇺🇸

Comment

how does it work to get the credits transferred to your transcript? Do you have to enroll in one of the colleges and then pay to have them put it on your transcript?

Comment

No. You do not have to enroll with them at all. Just call them and tell them you want to do the credit banking program. They'll guide you. At no point will you need to enroll with them.
                      New York City Department of Correction and US Army. 🇺🇸

Comment

Does it cost to get an official transcript from FEMA after completing all the courses you want?

Comment

Originally posted by shawncook View Post
                          Does it cost to get an official transcript from FEMA after completing all the courses you want?
                          No FEMA doesn't charge a dime.

Comment

Excelsior will not take them.

Comment

Originally posted by dh3521 View Post
                              Excelsior will not take them.
                              what do you mean?i know they don't take them raw. you gotta go through fredricks first then go to excelsior i was told

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4193 users online. 189 members and 4004 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X