NYPD January 2014 Academy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shygal122 View Post
    That's a good question! I like detective work, and I thought I could do this through the process of NYPD, but someone on here told me it does not work that way.
    What do you mean by this?
    sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
    DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

• Originally posted by jziems09 View Post
      I'm bored. So I pose a question. What made you want to become an NYPD officer? And what is your dream job in the NYPD? (ie, k-9, vice, bomb squad, ect...)
      I wouldn't mind just moving up the ranks. Although I've always been fascinated with the gang unit, mainly because I think it's crazy how such a violent subculture has there own laws, hierarchy, structure etc etc. I would love to get involved in that and bring some of them down.

EDIT: Maybe Frenchie can weigh in on this, I know ESU it's highly competitive and a military skill set is almost a needed tool. NYPD's Gang Unit, what is some of the needed skills in the tool box to get on? I know they recently bolstered the unit by 300 officers.
      Last edited by PoliceSeeker; 08-12-2013, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eli Manning View Post
        Shygal I answered your PM but your Inbox is full. Clear it out.

Davey, if you see this, i also answered your PM. You inbox is also full. Clear it out.
        Manning, I have deleted some messages, thanks for the heads up. Where is your PM? I have not received. Please re-send. Gracias latino...
        NYPD Exam 1309- Withdrew :/

Westchester County Exam 69-589- Score: 90

Comment

• i would never tell anyone they can't do something just keep this in mind. Gang members will find out where you live and you could put your family in danger. Sometimes Sometimes this happens just a thought.
          Originally posted by PoliceSeeker View Post
          I wouldn't mind just moving up the ranks. Although I've always been fascinated with the gang unit, mainly because I think it's crazy how such a violent subculture has there own laws, hierarchy, structure etc etc. I would love to get involved in that and bring some of them down.
          NYCDOC AMKC

Comment

• Originally posted by longisland7 View Post
            i would never tell anyone they can't do something just keep this in mind. Gang members will find out where you live and you could put your family in danger. Sometimes Sometimes this happens just a thought.
            It may happen to any PO, not only Gang Unit Officers, this job comes with many risks, possibilities that something could happen to u or your loved ones! That's why it's not meant for all...
            NYPD Exam 1315
            APD-5: submitted
            Initial Medical: done
            Social Media: done
            Written Psych: done
            Oral Psych: done
            BI: done
            JST: done

Patiently awaiting that dream job !!!
            Courtesy Professionalism ​Respect

NYPD from A to Z ( click on the link below)
            http://www.thewatchscene.com/2012/12...nypd-from-a-z/
            Always remembered ...
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/21042-de...eter-j-figoski

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by shygal122 View Post
              That's a good question! I like detective work, and I thought I could do this through the process of NYPD, but someone on here told me it does not work that way. Out of all units, I'd probably be most interested in K-9 and ESU...
              I get asked this a lot, so here's a little bit on how promotion to detective works in the NYPD.

Contrary to TV and movies, detectives do not outrank those in the rank of police officer. Detective is a lateral promotion. Equal, but sort of better (i.e. pay, assignment). There is no test to take to acquire this rank, it is based on merit. I use that term loosely because being a discretionary promotion (meaning, by a wave of the Police Commissioner's wand), it is also handed out to high-level do nothings such as career house mouse's who do ZERO work to associate them with the duties commonly associated with detective work (i.e. investigations). Even then, those do-nothing's spend years brown nosing in an administrative function before they get it. A lot longer than it would take should they do it the traditional way. I have a disdain for glorified secretaries with shields. Anyway, I digress.

The "Traditional" Way

After applying, being accepted, and successfully spending 18 months in an investigative unit, you must - legally - be promoted to detective. Hooks play a role in the acceptance process. A large one. Those without a hook- it's of course possible, just a notch tougher. Units that accept applications put out a "notice" via our Intranet- sort of like an internal bulletin board. When a "white shield" (PO) is performing investigative duties in an investigative unit, he or she is considered to be what is called, "on-track", meaning on that 18 month track to become a detective. Can you get booted at month 15? Sure you can. Some obvious examples of "track" units are the precinct detective squads, warrants, OCCB (which encompasses narcotics, vice, gang, etc. (narcotics is blood-in, blood-out- don't ask me why, wait until you're OTJ and see for yourself).

There are other units within the various bureau's that also lead to a shield, but plenty of them you will never see, hear about or get into unless you hit the lotto, have a special skill, or find yourself at the right place at the right time. Again, a hook helps...but not always. Sometimes you get lucky.

Generally, these units won't even look at you unless you have AT LEAST 4 years OTJ...and even then, that's a long shot. You must obviously have a strong record of enforcement...arrests being primary. Quality over quantity. No, return on warrants don't count. Positive evaluations and good recommendation from your CO are also important. No CO signature, no transfer. Period.

Getting to detective is hard enough, getting promoted to a higher grade is almost completely political. Starting at 3rd grade, the next step is 2nd grade- same pay as a sergeant, followed by 1st grade- same pay as a LT. 1st grade is the holy grail for detectives and is very uncommon. "Making grade" is often given as a reward to those glorified secretaries I mentioned, or to those folks who have A LOT of time on, and (sadly) less frequently to those who actually deserve it via hard work. Many detectives never make it past 3rd grade. When I was taking promotional classes for the sergeant exam, there were dozens of detectives who just had enough.

Respect

The shield is the same for all detectives, but make no mistake- people know how you got that shield. The DET in the squad busting his/her @$$ is vastly different from the DET in community affairs do-nothing who got his from handing out burgers at the local BBQ. Most people could care less about how they are viewed by their peers, but a lot do. They know just by the name of your unit or the function you serve as a member of this department if you are a real DET or got it by brown nosing or hiding in a non-deserving unit.

Most bosses who are destined for LT or above must, generally, all do a stint in Internal Affairs. Cops know this. Plenty of "cops-cop" bosses do their time and move on, having lost no respect from their subordinates. These bosses usually get drafted involuntarily. After their 2 year requirement, they get offered plenty of perks to entice them to stay. Some take it, a lot don't. THAT I respect.

IAB does not draft cops or detectives. Any one who says otherwise is lying, delusional, or both. IAB is a "track-unit" that leads to a shield. Some cops who have tunnel vision leading to nothing but that detective rank volunteer for IAB because it's one of the easier ways to do so. However, expect to lose all respect.

The uninformed will say, "what's wrong with taking down dirty cops?". Well, nothing. Nothing at all. I say those cops who are truly corrupt and sell coke out of the RMP should be drawn and quartered. However, that sort of chit just doesn't happen anymore, rarely at best. So, what does a huge unit like IAB do to justify its existence? Investigate total and complete nonsense, often coming from the perps themselves. I have ZERO respect for any PO or DET in IAB because I know they ASKED to be there.

Of course, don't forget those who are promoted due to an act of extreme heroism, are shot in the line of duty, etc. These folks deserve it. Keep in mind, though, that even though they get to write their own ticket (to an extent), there are certain places a detective will never see unless he actually has the skills or experience to be there...even with a hook.

Realistically

Assuming you are an outstanding worker (real police work- not writing summonses to drunk homeless people), don't get caught up in disciplinary nonsense which, believe it or not, can happen through ZERO fault of your own, are blessed with good timing and maybe a hook or two, it will be about 5 years before you get a shot at getting on-track...maybe a little less if you're lucky. Probably more. About 7 years until you see the actual shield.

Hope this answers all your detective questions.

_DF
              Last edited by DigitalFrenchie; 08-12-2013, 04:34 PM.
              sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
              DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

• Originally posted by DigitalFrenchie View Post
                I get asked this a lot, so here's a little bit on how promotion to detective works in the NYPD.

Contrary to TV and movies, detectives do not outrank those in the rank of police officer. Detective is a lateral promotion. Equal, but sort of better (i.e. pay, assignment). There is no test to take to acquire this rank, it is based on merit. I use that term loosely because being a discretionary promotion (meaning, by a wave of the Police Commissioner's wand), it is also handed out to high-level do nothings such as career house mouse's who do ZERO work to associate them with the duties commonly associated with detective work (i.e. investigations). Even then, those do-nothing's spend years brown nosing in an administrative function before they get it. A lot longer than it would take should they do it the traditional way. I have a disdain for glorified secretaries with shields. Anyway, I digress.

The "Traditional" Way

After applying, being accepted, and successfully spending 18 months in an investigative unit, you must - legally - be promoted to detective. Hooks play a role in the acceptance process. A large one. Those without a hook- it's of course possible, just a notch tougher. Units that accept applications put out a "notice" via our Intranet- sort of like an internal bulletin board. When a "white shield" (PO) is performing investigative duties in an investigative unit, he or she is considered to be what is called, "on-track", meaning on that 18 month track to become a detective. Can you get booted at month 15? Sure you can. Some obvious examples of "track" units are the precinct detective squads, warrants, OCCB (which encompasses narcotics, vice, gang, etc. (narcotics is blood-in, blood-out- don't ask me why, wait until you're OTJ and see for yourself).

There are other units within the various bureau's that also lead to a shield, but plenty of them you will never see, hear about or get into unless you hit the lotto, have a special skill, or find yourself at the right place at the right time. Again, a hook helps...but not always. Sometimes you get lucky.

Generally, these units won't even look at you unless you have AT LEAST 4 years OTJ...and even then, that's a long shot. You must obviously have a strong record of enforcement...arrests being primary. Quality over quantity. No, return on warrants don't count. Positive evaluations and good recommendation from your CO are also important. No CO signature, no transfer. Period.

Getting to detective is hard enough, getting promoted to a higher grade is almost completely political. Starting at 3rd grade, the next step is 2nd grade- same pay as a sergeant, followed by 1st grade- same pay as a LT. 1st grade is the holy grail for detectives and is very uncommon. "Making grade" is often given as a reward to those glorified secretaries I mentioned, or to those folks who have A LOT of time on, and (sadly) less frequently to those who actually deserve it via hard work. Many detectives never make it past 3rd grade. When I was taking promotional classes for the sergeant exam, there were dozens of detectives who just had enough.

Respect

The shield is the same for all detectives, but make no mistake- people know how you got that shield. The DET in the squad busting his/her @$$ is vastly different from the DET in community affairs do-nothing who got his from handing out burgers at the local BBQ. Most people could care less about how they are viewed by their peers, but a lot do. They know just by the name of your unit or the function you serve as a member of this department if you are a real DET or got it by brown nosing or hiding in a non-deserving unit.

Most bosses who are destined for LT or above must, generally, all do a stint in Internal Affairs. Cops know this. Plenty of "cops-cop" bosses do their time and move on, having lost no respect from their subordinates. These bosses usually get drafted involuntarily. After their 2 year requirement, they get offered plenty of perks to entice them to stay. Some take it, a lot don't. THAT I respect.

IAB does not draft cops or detectives. Any one who says otherwise is lying, delusional, or both. IAB is a "track-unit" that leads to a shield. Some cops who have tunnel vision leading to nothing but that detective rank volunteer for IAB because it's one of the easier ways to do so. However, expect to lose all respect.

The uninformed will say, "what's wrong with taking down dirty cops?". Well, nothing. Nothing at all. I say those cops who are truly corrupt and sell coke out of the RMP should be drawn and quartered. However, that sort of chit just doesn't happen anymore, rarely at best. So, what does a huge unit like IAB do to justify its existence? Investigate total and complete nonsense, often coming from the perps themselves. I have ZERO respect for any PO or DET in IAB because I know they ASKED to be there.

Of course, don't forget those who are promoted due to an act of extreme heroism, are shot in the line of duty, etc. These folks deserve it. Keep in mind, though, that even though they get to write their own ticket (to an extent), there are certain places a detective will never see unless he actually has the skills or experience to be there...even with a hook.

Realistically

Assuming you are an outstanding worker (real police work- not writing summonses to drunk homeless people), don't get caught up in disciplinary nonsense which, believe it or not, can happen through ZERO fault of your own, are blessed with good timing and maybe a hook or two, it will be about 5 years before you get a shot at getting on-track...maybe a little less if you're lucky. Probably more. About 7 years until you see the actual shield.

_DF
                That is how I imagine that process would look like nah just kidding, thanx for detailed info DF, well said, Sir!!!
                NYPD Exam 1315

Always remembered ...

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

sigpic

Comment

• Really?! Wow, so if i transfer over with my years i will start at that salary for NYPD, not have to restart? that would be great! I was told otherwise, but everyone has a different story on everything. I guess i will find out when i get called. I hope you are right tho!
                  NYC DCAS (212) 669-1357
                  NYPD Scheduling Unit (718) 972-7344
                  NYPD Application Status (718) 697-3273
                  Candidate Help Desk (718) 972 2503
                  Education Verification Unit (718)972 2633
                  Candidate Relations (CR) (718) 972 3120

Comment

• sounds like making SGT is easier then being promoted to DET!, but anyway moving up the ranks is a dream but only up to Lt which seem more beneficial then becoming Capt.

Also Units i have in mind are “Gang Division”, “Highway District”(I promise not to write fellow officers a ticket and be that guy LOL!), "Warrant section”, "Drug Enforcement Task Force” or one of the Brooklyn or Queens Task Forces.
                    NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
                    Academy: March 2015 (Got the call!!) NYCDOC

Comment

• Intelligence Division with my culture background and different degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by jziems09 View Post
                        I'm bored. So I pose a question. What made you want to become an NYPD officer? And what is your dream job in the NYPD? (ie, k-9, vice, bomb squad, ect...)
                        what made you wanna become one, sir? hehe
                        not many responses as for what made you wanna become a cop, many responses towards what is your dream job...
                        my story is short... I was in technical school of aeronautics back in Europe when i was much younger, almost became an air force pilot, but came here to US and that did it. Done my HS in NJ, moved to NY, tried for Coast Guard, Air Force,Marines,Navy,National Guard, ended up going to college. Took CJ major, loved all the Policing classes, in bet. took the test not knowing it will take that long to get processed, an here I am, with all my dedication, always wanting to wear the uniform, serve the country/city of NY(recently became a citizen ) I always stayed active in the community, always stood up for people i was surrender with. Being a good watchman, and having a sharp eye will make me a good cop. As far as doing a dream job with PD, i would say narcotics or esu. But time will show I guess.
                        NYPD Exam 1315

Always remembered ...

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris.R. View Post
                          what made you wanna become one, sir? hehe
                          not many responses as for what made you wanna become a cop, many responses towards what is your dream job...
                          my story is short... I was in technical school of aeronautics back in Europe when i was much younger, almost became an air force pilot, but came here to US and that did it. Done my HS in NJ, moved to NY, tried for Coast Guard, Air Force,Marines,Navy,National Guard, ended up going to college. Took CJ major, loved all the Policing classes, in bet. took the test not knowing it will take that long to get processed, an here I am, with all my dedication, always wanting to wear the uniform, serve the country/city of NY(recently became a citizen ) I always stayed active in the community, always stood up for people i was surrender with. Being a good watchman, and having a sharp eye will make me a good cop. As far as doing a dream job with PD, i would say narcotics or esu. But time will show I guess.
                          Congratulations on the citizenship, how was process for getting that? Where are you originally from?

Comment

• Hello everyone, I have been reading and following anything that has to do with the NYPD exam 1315, but this is the first time I actually post anything. Today I spoke with one of the candidate relations reps, and she told the medical for exam 1315 wont start for another six months. For the faithful followers to this thread, how accurate do you think her information was?

Comment

• sounds like she was just trying to get off the phone..lol... indirectly she was saying "stop[ calling and wait" lol
                              Originally posted by JCOLL View Post
                              Hello everyone, I have been reading and following anything that has to do with the NYPD exam 1315, but this is the first time I actually post anything. Today I spoke with one of the candidate relations reps, and she told the medical for exam 1315 wont start for another six months. For the faithful followers to this thread, how accurate do you think her information was?
                              "In trouble waters I had to learn how to float"

Comment

• Originally posted by DigitalFrenchie View Post

The "Traditional" Way

Respect

Realistically

_DF
                                Always with quality post

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8251 users online. 254 members and 7997 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                                X