300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youtube reflect negative?

I have a YouTube channel that I am considering of closing because I feel like the NYPD will judge me harshly based on it. It mostly consist of me playing games and having commenting on them. Although there is nothing wrong with that, I do curse a lot in my videos. I don't think cursing is a crime however, I wouldn't want that kind of language to be miss interpreted in some way.

What do you guys think? For an example of what I mean, search up "call of duty commentary" on YouTube and you will see.
    Last edited by Enders; 04-13-2013, 10:54 PM.
    NYPD Exam: 1320 - 6/2011
    List: 1xxx
    APD-5: Done
    Medical: Done
    Written Psych: Done
    Oral Psych: Done
    Met with BI: Done
    Mini-Med: Done
    Social Media: Done
    JST: Done

Got the call 07.05.2014, 13:51PM!

How can they even know if you have a youtube account or channel if you don't tell them?

I might just delete mine. All I've ever done on YouTube is post videos that has already been posted, save a few videos as my favorite and a ton of comments on other people videos that were not always nice LOL.

I honestly think people on this site have the best chance to become police officers because they will focus on eliminating weaknesses or cleaning up anything they feel might get them dq. I don't do facebook, tweeter and all that other stuff, but I do YouTube, then again who doesn't? It's things like this that has got me a little worried. Little in my eyes but who knows how large it looks to someone else. LOL, the hiring process can make a person who feel he is a good guy look like a bad guy because no one is perfect.
    Last edited by eldbz; 04-14-2013, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I watched the first few minutes of a couple of your videos. If I were doing your background, my first impression would be that you are lacking in the traits of maturity and good judgement, which are minimum requirements for the job, and would do my best to DQ you.

FWIW, staff for defense attorneys do their best to dig up dirt on cops to attack their credibility. Your first video in which you ask for donations to help cover a four figure bar tab suggests you are an unreliable drunk, desperate for money. Granted, it was said in jest but as you know, attorneys love to take things out of context. Similarly, all your videos involve animations of killing people and you talk about the extensive hours you put in to achieve certain levels. Were you to be involved in a controversial use of force case, an attorney for the other side would use this and your claim about the four figure bar tab to allege you are an out of control drunk who is obsessed with violence and who should have never been given a badge.

As others here will tell you, the press rarely cares about the facts - getting the story out is what's important to them.

At this point, your are more of a liability with those videos or anything like them being posted.
      Last edited by L-1; 04-14-2013, 02:03 PM.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

They're not even going to ask you for your youtube (at least they didn't for me) but I agree with L-1. I don't have an online presence with my name attached to anything for all of the reasons given.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          I watched the first few minutes of a couple of your videos. If I were doing your background, my first impression would be that you are lacking in the traits of maturity and good judgement, which are minimum requirements for the job, and would do my best to DQ you.

FWIW, staff for defense attorneys do their best to dig up dirt on cops to attach their credibility. Your first video in which you ask for donations to help cover a four figure bar tab suggests you are an unreliable drunk, desperate for money. Granted, it was said in jest but as you know, attorneys love to take things out of context. Similarly, all your videos involve animations of killing people and you talk about the extensive hours you put in to achieve certain levels. Were you to be involved in a controversial use of force case, an attorney for the other side would use this and your claim about the four figure bar tab to allege you are an out of control drunk who is obsessed with violence and who should have never been given a badge.

As others here will tell you, the press rarely cares about the facts - getting the story out is what's important to them.

At this point, your are more of a liability with those videos or anything like them being posted.
          That wasn't my video, I didn't give a link. what you watched was something related to what I do. I could PM you my channel link if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by eldbz View Post
            How can they even know if you have a youtube account or channel if you don't tell them?

I might just delete mine. All I've ever done on YouTube is post videos that has already been posted, save a few videos as my favorite and a ton of comments on other people videos that were not always nice LOL.

I honestly think people on this site have the best chance to become police officers because they will focus on eliminating weaknesses or cleaning up anything they feel might get them dq. I don't do facebook, tweeter and all that other stuff, but I do YouTube, then again who doesn't? It's things like this that has got me a little worried. Little in my eyes but who knows how large it looks to someone else. LOL, the hiring process can make a person who feel he is a good guy look like a bad guy because no one is perfect.
            Yeah I don't do anything crazy in my videos I think I might just not add it since its registered with another email and I don't think they can obtain my email without me telling them what it is.

Comment

Well you're an idiot. You ask and get a great, well thought out answer from a seasoned guy but then just say you'll disregard it. Why did you bother to ask?
              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
                Well you're an idiot. You ask and get a great, well thought out answer from a seasoned guy but then just say you'll disregard it. Why did you bother to ask?
                You seem like a smart reasonable man. His answer was based on a video he watched that was not the kind of content I upload. I didn't disregard his reply I just think the video he watched sounded too different from what I do so I offered to send him my link to get feedback based on my content not random people on YouTube.

So thanks for your well thought out answer jeffIL you seem very seasoned in the art of common sense.
                Last edited by Enders; 04-14-2013, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Enders; eldbz:

Please go back and re-read what L-1 said. He's an expert in such matters. Please study on his words.

Please re-think your sense of mission.

Please go to a writing clinic somewhere -- your writing is not standard US English, and certainly would not be acceptable for Police reports.

If you want to ever be in LE you shouldn't participate even slightly unwholesomely in any social media.

Your question about how will anyone know? Everyone already knows! You published yourself! What choice will you have when your BI asks you if you've ever had any net presence? If you lie you'll be DQd. If you admit to keeping such garbage posted up on youtube you'll be DQd. You best bet is to take it down immediately, 'fess up to youthful foolishness if you're asked, and just leave it in your past.

Sincerely,

Monty
                  Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 04-14-2013, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I think he answered his own question.

If YOU FEEL the videos might be misinterpreted and judged negatively against you, then golly Sam! I think you found yourself the golden answer on what you should do!.

That was easy!
                    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
                      Enders; eldbz:

Please go back and re-read what L-1 said. He's an expert in such matters. Please study on his words.

Please re-think your sense of mission.

Please go to a writing clinic somewhere -- your writing is not standard US English, and certainly would not be acceptable for Police reports.

If you want to ever be in LE you shouldn't participate even slightly unwholesomely in any social media.

Your question about how will anyone know? Everyone already knows! You published yourself! What choice will you have when your BI asks you if you've ever had any net presence? If you lie you'll be DQd. If you admit to keeping such garbage posted up on youtube you'll be DQd. You best bet is to take it down immediately, 'fess up to youthful foolishness if you're asked, and just leave it in your past.

Sincerely,

Monty

What's wrong with my writing?

I didn't publish myself in any way unless the BI can somehow find my real information then yes I have compromised myself. I get the feeling that a lot of the people here are old and don't relate to how younger people use social media. I took his advice into consideration so everyone else who wants to jump in and give your two cents by rephrasing what L1 said then come up with something of your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Enders
                        OK, Enders, let's get started with your OP:

This is as you originally posted it:

I have a YouTube channel that I am considering of closing because I feel like the NYPD will judge me harshly based on it. It mostly consist of me playing games and having commenting on them. Although there is nothing wrong with that, I do curse a lot in my videos. I don't think cursing is a crime however, I wouldn't want that kind of language to be miss interpreted in some way.

What do you guys think? For an example of what I mean, search up "call of duty commentary" on YouTube and you will see.
                        I requote it with writing errors bolded:

A corrected version:

I have a YouTube channel that I am considering closing because I anticipate that the NYPD might judge me harshly based on it. It mostly consists of records of me playing games and of my commentaries on them. Although there is nothing wrong with that content, I do curse a lot in my videos. I don't think cursing is a crime; however, I wouldn't want that kind of language to be misinterpreted in some way.

What do you guys think? For an example of what I mean, do a search on "call of duty commentary" on YouTube, and you will see.
                        That's more than 1 writing error per sentence.

I didn't publish myself in any way
                        Yes you did.

unless the BI can somehow find my real information
                        If you don't lie, he can just ask you, right? If you do lie you'll probably learn something about the many ways there are to get caught lying. If you lie your BI will probably find out about it.

then yes I have compromised myself.
                        Inexcusable lying compromises your integrity whether you get caught or not. Getting caught lying means you'll most likely suffer some harsh consequences over the matter.

I get the feeling that a lot of the people here are old and don't relate to how younger people use social media.
                        So what else is new? Younger people often want to use what older people have invented and built, in ways that tick off older people, without regard for the guiding principles embraced by the older people. I was a bit of a firebrand in my youth and I'm now grateful to the stern people of good morals who set me straight.

I took his advice into consideration
                        It took years, not just minutes, for him to learn what he offered to you in the form of advice. It took him minutes to offer it to you. It may take you years to appreciate it properly, but the sooner you start trying to do that, the sooner you're apt to benefit from his gracious effort.

so everyone else who wants to jump in and give your two cents by rephrasing what L1 said then come up with something of your own.
                        My commentary regarding the deplorable paucity of your writing skills was something of my own.

I wish you good luck, young person.

Sincerely,

Monty
                        Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 04-14-2013, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enders View Post
                          That wasn't my video, I didn't give a link. what you watched was something related to what I do. I could PM you my channel link if you like.
                          You said to search "call of duty commentary." That's what came up and that's what I commented on.

I only did what you asked.
                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Enders View Post

I didn't publish myself in any way unless the BI can somehow find my real information then yes I have compromised myself. I get the feeling that a lot of the people here are old and don't relate to how younger people use social media. I took his advice into consideration so everyone else who wants to jump in and give your two cents by rephrasing what L1 said then come up with something of your own.
                            Why even risk having the youtube channel anyway. The only reason to even have one would be if you were making money; and if that's the case you'll need to close it if you make it to the academy anyway -- since you are not allowed to have any secondary income. You should re-think your defensive attitude, as well.
                            “He who can have patience can have what he will.”
                            ― Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Scottydons87 View Post
                              Why even risk having the youtube channel anyway. The only reason to even have one would be if you were making money; and if that's the case you'll need to close it if you make it to the academy anyway -- since you are not allowed to have any secondary income. You should re-think your defensive attitude, as well.
                              I do make money on it, I don't think I have a defensive attitude the post was just misinterpreted but I understand how that happened. I wasn't clear enough.

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                              You said to search "call of duty commentary." That's what came up and that's what I commented on.

I only did what you asked.
                              You are correct. I will PM you if you are interested in taking a closer look and based on that I will delete the account.

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
                              I wish you good luck, young person.

Sincerely,

Monty
                              I see what you mean about my writing. I honestly asked not to be a jackass about it I really did want to know because even though my writing is not top notch I do enjoy writing. In regards to everything else I see where you are coming from and I admit I was a little aggressive with my response so in light of that I offer my apologies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4523 users online. 268 members and 4255 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X