300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upstate department want to start unpaid reserve unit

Saugerties police chief wants to start a reserve police unit (Saugerties is about an hour north on the NYS Thruway of the Tappan Zee Bridge). The local community college police academy pumps out new recruits every six months that would be willing to work for free just to keep their certification. Departments in this part of the state utilize part time officers to augment full time officers already. I can't imagine that the PBA on the local and state level will not put up a fight.

I do not have enough posts to attach the newspaper article. You can find it in the local paper at dailyfreeman.com. Maybe someone can put the link up.

Here ya go http://www.dailyfreeman.com/articles...7072825209.txt
    RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

Unpaid reserves have been the norm out here in the west for over 60 years. You usually put in a minimum of 16 hours per month and are partrnered up wih a full time officer. Not a big deal.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I wish there were more options like that out here in NY. Saugerties will be the first one I know of in NY, If they do it.

Comment

Originally posted by JEFSLP View Post
          Saugerties police chief wants to start a reserve police unit (Saugerties is about an hour north on the NYS Thruway of the Tappan Zee Bridge). The local community college police academy pumps out new recruits every six months that would be willing to work for free just to keep their certification. Departments in this part of the state utilize part time officers to augment full time officers already. I can't imagine that the PBA on the local and state level will not put up a fight. You are most certainly correct on this point-CCO

I do not have enough posts to attach the newspaper article. You can find it in the local paper at dailyfreeman.com. Maybe someone can put the link up.
          I read the article in Today's Daily Freeman. Yes, a 'volunteer' reserve police unit is a novel untested concept in New York State. As far as recruitment is concerned--it is doubtful that recently retired police officers will again wear a police uniform and work for nothing. As far as recent graduates of the Ulster County Community College's Police Academy becoming ARMED police officers volunteers without prior LE experience--this might create a Pandora's box of difficulties and involvements to the Town of Saugerties.

No doubt the SAUGERTIES PBA as well as other professional police organizations will oppose it! And how would the Town's liability insurance carrier feel about insuring ARMED police volunteers since most of these 'reserve officers' will most likely be young INEXPERIENCED men in their early twenties fresh out the UCCC Police Academy? The Town of Saugerties is NOT self-insured against monetary losses.

I believe a better path of civilian involvement in the Saugerties PD would be a supporting auxiliary police function under the NYS Defense Emergency Act/ Executive Law to assist in traffic and/or parade details. Also, possibly assigning an old patrol vehicle for auxiliary use as "eyes and ears" and to assist disabled motorists.

Again, any such actions must be approved by the Saugerties Town Board before being implemented.However, it is my personal opinion the Town Board will not go along with this proposal as presented by the Saugerties Police Chief.

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/articles...7072825209.txt
          Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 03-27-2013, 06:38 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4822 users online. 222 members and 4600 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X