Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 NYS Correction Officer Exam/County Correction Officer Exams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2013 NYS Correction Officer Exam/County Correction Officer Exams

    Anyone signed up to take the upcoming NYS Correction Officer Exam or any of the County Correction Officer Exams coming up in April? I'm cross filed to take eight of them.
    Last edited by shawncook; 02-23-2013, 10:38 PM.

  • #2
    Nice. :-) Good luck!
    Last edited by Bk2yo; 02-24-2013, 06:53 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Are any still open to apply?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Leo723 View Post
        Are any still open to apply?
        I think today and tomorrow is the last days for many of them....I don't think any of them go past the 27th of Feb.

        Comment


        • #5
          What counties are giving the exam?
          Last edited by NYCpoorest; 02-25-2013, 10:30 AM.
          55.......

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by shawncook View Post
            Anyone signed up to take the upcoming NYS Correction Officer Exam or any of the County Correction Officer Exams coming up in April? I'm cross filed to take eight of them.
            Hey Shawn, so far I signed up for NYSDOC and Nassau County, which other ones are available and all I have to do is contact NY State civil service commission to inform them that I be taking multiple exams that day? How does that work is it one test, or each would be different?

            Thanks for any responses!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Nygmen21 View Post
              Hey Shawn, so far I signed up for NYSDOC and Nassau County, which other ones are available and all I have to do is contact NY State civil service commission to inform them that I be taking multiple exams that day? How does that work is it one test, or each would be different?

              Thanks for any responses!
              Yes all you would have to do is file a cross filer form for each department you want to test with and send it in with your application and examination fee. (separate fees for each exam) You will only take one exam and the results will be sent to each of the departments you have applied to test with.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nygmen21 View Post
                Hey Shawn, so far I signed up for NYSDOC and Nassau County, which other ones are available and all I have to do is contact NY State civil service commission to inform them that I be taking multiple exams that day? How does that work is it one test, or each would be different?

                Thanks for any responses!
                Rockland are also giving a test
                Last edited by NYCpoorest; 02-25-2013, 12:19 PM. Reason: putnam is not giving a exam
                55.......

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nygmen21 View Post
                  Hey Shawn, so far I signed up for NYSDOC and Nassau County, which other ones are available and all I have to do is contact NY State civil service commission to inform them that I be taking multiple exams that day? How does that work is it one test, or each would be different?

                  Thanks for any responses!


                  If you are only signed up for Nassau County and NYS then all you have to do is submit a cross file form to Nassau County, look on their civil service website for that. You have to take the exam at the site of the NYS exam. You do not need to know exactly where you are taking it, just tell Nassau that you are taking it at the state examination center. You do not need to do anything extra for the state.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by trooperdan911 View Post
                    If you are only signed up for Nassau County and NYS then all you have to do is submit a cross file form to Nassau County, look on their civil service website for that. You have to take the exam at the site of the NYS exam. You do not need to know exactly where you are taking it, just tell Nassau that you are taking it at the state examination center. You do not need to do anything extra for the state.
                    Thank you for all of your replies. I spoke with a Nassau County C.S. rep and she told me to just include a note with my application that I will be taking the NYSDOC exam as well and they will take it from there. Hope that's all I had to do!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NYCpoorest View Post
                      What counties are giving the exam?
                      Ulster and Dutchess.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        How many people usually get hired off of these exams?

                        Is it as difficult and long of a waiting period to be hired as with most of the police jobs?

                        Will having a bachelors degree look really good or just be somewhat standard when they are looking at peoples resumes?

                        I know with a lot of the police exams you need at least a 90 to get canvassed before the new exam comes out, does the same apply here?

                        Is being a correction officer something that looks really good when applying for police jobs?


                        Thanks to whoever answers any of these questions.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by trooperdan911 View Post
                          How many people usually get hired off of these exams?

                          Is it as difficult and long of a waiting period to be hired as with most of the police jobs?

                          Will having a bachelors degree look really good or just be somewhat standard when they are looking at peoples resumes?

                          I know with a lot of the police exams you need at least a 90 to get canvassed before the new exam comes out, does the same apply here?

                          Is being a correction officer something that looks really good when applying for police jobs?


                          Thanks to whoever answers any of these questions.
                          It's just as difficult to get a position as a Correction Officer as it is to get a job as a Police Officer in New York State. Most of these positions exist in the county Sheriff Departments and use the exact same standards and hiring process to pull from the civil service exam lists.

                          As far as having a BA degree putting you ahead of the competition? No most agencies only care about you having the minimum qualifications (NYS DOCC)

                          Just like any other Law Enforcement job in New York state you must score very high on the civil service exam to get canvassed. Think about it.... If the department is hiring only two or three positions within the entire life of the eligibility list... They will never reach the 80's. It all depends on the size of the department and how many positions they are looking to hire.

                          I know Onondaga County always has a hard time keeping Correction Officers and made it to the very bottom of the Civil Service list to hire.. But that happens very rarely. (There are also two different departments that hire from the same exact list)

                          As far as using a Correction Officer position to get you a leg op on the competition when trying to switch to a Police Officer position... That won't happen. Most agencies only care that you have a solid work history. A guy who worked at McDonalds for seven straight years with no actions against him could get hired over you...

                          The point is.. You either want to be a Police Officer or you want to be a Correction Officer. They are two different positions that use the same hiring process... Don't use one to try and look good on your resume to get a job at a different agency.
                          Last edited by shawncook; 02-28-2013, 06:20 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by shawncook View Post
                            It's just as difficult to get a position as a Correction Officer as it is to get a job as a Police Officer in New York State. Most of these positions exist in the county Sheriff Departments and use the exact same standards and hiring process to pull from the civil service exam lists.
                            Understood, thank you for the response. I have a slightly different question now. Let's say someone does become a correction officer and has a good work record. Then a little ways down the road a police job opens up and they go for it. Is there any negative things that could come of that situation that one should think about?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by trooperdan911 View Post
                              Understood, thank you for the response. I have a slightly different question now. Let's say someone does become a correction officer and has a good work record. Then a little ways down the road a police job opens up and they go for it. Is there any negative things that could come of that situation that one should think about?
                              I understand that your goal is to become a Police Officer. If you worked Corrections for a few years and were then offered a position with a Police Department and decided to take the job there would be no problem. A police department would not look down on someone who was making the switch from Corrections to Police work. Infact it happens all the time. Corrections isn't for everyone... But many people take the job and end up loving it (especially with the pay, benefits, and basically being able to make your own schedule). Heck, you might get into Corrections and love the work and turn down an offer for a Police Officer position. If the chance comes and you get offered a position as a Correction Officer take it...

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 8238 users online. 248 members and 7990 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Working...
                              X