300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Peace Officer and Police Officer in NYS

Can anyone explain the difference between these two distinctions in NY?

Also, do either of these accept out of state certification instead of the academy?

Thanks in advance.

Minus out Department guidlines, functions, area and department etc.- this question is a mouthful.

Police Officer can write warrents and execute a Peace Officer can not execute warrents unless they are deputized through a Sheriffs office. Police Officer can lateral out of State Peace Officer's generally can't. There is more but I'm too lazy to type it up. I was a Peace Officer first and funny thing is the sh-- bag saw the badge and gun and never asked me which one I was.

Also the Academies are night and day. Trust me.

here you go:

http://ypdcrime.com/cpl/article2.htm
    jcioccke
    Forum Member
    Last edited by jcioccke; 09-18-2012, 09:12 PM. Reason: added link
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Thanks.

I guess my main concern is if my out of state Police Officer certification will allow me to gain Peace Officer status in NY. And if I will have to go through the academy again.

Comment

where you coming from?
        MDRDEP:

Comment

I don't know but I would think it should but I can't figure out this State. What are you looking to do?
          MDRDEP:

Comment

Coming from Georgia. Potential Peace Officer position at a private college in the future.

Comment

Make sure that it's a University that allows you to cary. Some do some don't.

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/
              MDRDEP:

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                Minus out Department guidlines, functions, area and department etc.- this question is a mouthful.

Police Officer can write warrents and execute a Peace Officer can not execute warrents unless they are deputized through a Sheriffs office. Police Officer can lateral out of State Peace Officer's generally can't. There is more but I'm too lazy to type it up. I was a Peace Officer first and funny thing is the sh-- bag saw the badge and gun and never asked me which one I was.

Also the Academies are night and day. Trust me.

here you go:

http://ypdcrime.com/cpl/article2.htm
                Is there an equivalent section of the CPL that defines or sets forth the powers of a Police Officer?

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                  . I was a Peace Officer first and funny thing is the sh-- bag saw the badge and gun and never asked me which one I was.
                  Most people dont know there is even peace officers. The shield and the gun automatically makes you a police. Unless you're a court officer or corrections than you're a c.o. =]

Comment

Originally posted by MarcusRegistradas View Post
                    Is there an equivalent section of the CPL that defines or sets forth the powers of a Police Officer?
                    .Warrants, that’s the immediate difference PO can write warrants and Peace Officers can’t.
                    jcioccke
                    Forum Member
                    Last edited by jcioccke; 09-20-2012, 09:54 PM.
                    MDRDEP:

Comment

Half of me wan't to ignore this question, and half of me want's to remember/look for you.
                      May be in Penal law- I may be working tonight, I'll pull out my book and take a look if I have time.
                      MDRDEP:

Comment

CPL Article II
                        2.10 Defines persons designatied as peace officers
                        2.15 Defines certain federal officers who also have NYS peace officer status (FBI, USSS...)

Comment

Buddy, thanks but CPL Article 2 is all about peace officers and I am still looking for a companion statute that defines persons designated as Police Officers and all that flows from that..

Comment

Cpl 140.05,10, 15 and 140.20 and 140.30 defines police officer

Cpl 140.25 and 140.27 and 140.30 defines peace officer

Cpl 140.50 defines stop q and possible frisk

Cpl 140.35 defines civilian arrest
                            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

I am a NYS Peace Officer. (no i will not devuldge my agency). As a peace officer you CAN execute and write search warrents. i have done both. frequently. The main difference is the CPL. Basicly, as a peace officer you have all of the rights and jurisdiction of a police officer, except the ability to govern vehicle and traffic laws. This only extends to NYS. I am unsure if it is the same in other states. Also as a NYS peace officer you can carry on and off duty, (w dept training) anywhere in NYS incl. all of the boroughs in NYC. Some i work with can even carry federally. meaning anywhere in the USA. or canada, Puerto Rico...etc...just an FYI....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4673 users online. 313 members and 4360 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X