300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYS Institution Safety Officer

I was wondering what is the job function of these Officers? I do not believe that I have ever seen any of these Officers before. I understand they are granted Peace Officer status and work under the NYS DOCCS but, do they patrol the areas around the state prisons or work elsewhere in the Department? Also, are there many positions for this job title throughout the state ? Do they attend the same academy as Correction Officers?

here's a thread that I recall it was described and mentioned in by the thread started....

http://forums.officer.com/t178614/

I think it was specifically facilities for mental & developmentally disable people that committed crimes. NYSDOCS I think governs them.

The thread starter is really knowledgeable on these state titles and their duties, and facility set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Future01 View Post
      I was wondering what is the job function of these Officers? I do not believe that I have ever seen any of these Officers before. I understand they are granted Peace Officer status and work under the NYS DOCCS but, do they patrol the areas around the state prisons or work elsewhere in the Department? Also, are there many positions for this job title throughout the state ? Do they attend the same academy as Correction Officers?
      The ISO's man the mjetal detectors and perform a uniformed security function at the former parole locations. These officers are uniformed firearms carrying Peace Officers. They attend the DOCCS academy. They do not patrol the grounds of any prison, they do have two assigned to the academy. At this time they are taking officers off the CO list for these positions until they can give a test and have an active list

Comment

There is a facility in my PCT that has these guys. they patrol the grounds, unarmed. Every once in awhile they arrest an edp.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wpaterno View Post
          There is a facility in my PCT that has these guys. they patrol the grounds, unarmed. Every once in awhile they arrest an edp.
          They are probably SSO's not ISO's. ISO's pretty much work NYS DOCCS facilities and never make arrest.

Comment

So at parole offices they are primarily there as a show of presence? They do not make any arrests?

Comment

It's safe to say they are allowed to. If your asking if they physically take the arrest probably depends on each commands staffing needs and levels.
              Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                It's safe to say they are allowed to. If your asking if they physically take the arrest probably depends on each commands staffing needs and levels.
                No, they are not allowed to take an arrest nor are they allowed to transport prisoners. Any arrest that have to be made will be done by the DOCCS (former Parole) staff transport and lodging of the prisoner will be done by either the Parole Officer or a Warrant Officer

Comment

Originally posted by Future01 View Post
                  So at parole offices they are primarily there as a show of presence? They do not make any arrests?
                  That is correct

Comment

oh i thought we were talking about the peace officers at the state mental hospitals... my bad.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wo 150 View Post
                      No, they are not allowed to take an arrest nor are they allowed to transport prisoners. Any arrest that have to be made will be done by the DOCCS (former Parole) staff transport and lodging of the prisoner will be done by either the Parole Officer or a Warrant Officer
                      That would be a major red flag for me. When an employer puts into effect a policy prohibiting sworn peace officers from using their powers, it probably means that those officers are looked down upon in general by other staff. That can make for a miserable work environment. I suppose it could be a good job for those looking for a more security type gig, but who want to be able to carry off duty without a permit. Do you know if there are any promotional opportunities in this position, or is this a single title type of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by fuerza View Post
                        that would be a major red flag for me. When an employer puts into effect a policy prohibiting sworn peace officers from using their powers, it probably means that those officers are looked down upon in general by other staff. That can make for a miserable work environment. I suppose it could be a good job for those looking for a more security type gig, but who want to be able to carry off duty without a permit. Do you know if there are any promotional opportunities in this position, or is this a single title type of thing?
                        first let me say that no one looks down upon this title. This title was utilized to protect the men and woman assigned to the parole locations, had these officers been assigned a parole officer wouldn't have been shot in his office. Every job has there own responsibility, the iso performs a uniformed presence, the parole officer does a supervisory prsence and lastly the warrant officer performs a custodial presence; so all three working together give peace of mind to the doccs staff and it is not bad making almost 50k doing this job. No there is no promotional opputunities. They also get the 25 and out pension

Comment

Originally posted by Fuerza View Post
                          That would be a major red flag for me. When an employer puts into effect a policy prohibiting sworn peace officers from using their powers, it probably means that those officers are looked down upon in general by other staff. That can make for a miserable work environment. I suppose it could be a good job for those looking for a more security type gig, but who want to be able to carry off duty without a permit. Do you know if there are any promotional opportunities in this position, or is this a single title type of thing?
                          you really don't have a grasp of what a peace officer truly is. a peace officer has power and authority under 2.20 of the cpl, however unlike a police officer a peace officer is title specific and still tied to the employer they work for. example: NYC Hospital Police Officer is authorized to issue parking summonses by virtue of his/her status, the Executive Director of the Hospital says I do not want parking summonses issued under any circumstance, how long do you think the Hospital Cop is going to be on the job when he/she turns around and says I am a NYS Peace Officer you can't tell me that. These are the pitfalls a Peace Officer has to go through, you are an employee first and a Peace Officer second.

Comment

I'm well aware of what a peace officer is. I was a Court Officer for nearly 3 years and am currently a police officer. I am aware that peace officers can be limited by their employers. What I am saying is that when a peace officer is limited in such a fashion, it generally indicates a lack of respect for that position by the employing agency. You should be well aware of this, as you yourself have commented on how little your own agency thinks of your job. I think you need to re-read my post as you seem to have taken it as an insult. It was a jab at the employer, not the employee.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuerza View Post
                              I'm well aware of what a peace officer is. I was a Court Officer for nearly 3 years and am currently a police officer. I am aware that peace officers can be limited by their employers. What I am saying is that when a peace officer is limited in such a fashion, it generally indicates a lack of respect for that position by the employing agency. You should be well aware of this, as you yourself have commented on how little your own agency thinks of your job. I think you need to re-read my post as you seem to have taken it as an insult. It was a jab at the employer, not the employee.
                              My apologies then,

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5423 users online. 224 members and 5199 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X