Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are my odds for the NYPD to hire me?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my odds for the NYPD to hire me?

I took the NYPD Exam in Feb & adding the residency my total score was an 89%. Im hispanic, no crinimal record, 60 college credits, and about to join the Auxillary. I work security & debating what else i can do to improve myself as a canidate. Any advise please share it & thank you.

your good don't worry about it, just keep good work history and stay out of trouble. Your prob looking at 2015 academy because it normally takes 3 years from the year you took exam or could be less if there are big classes.

Comment

Im returning to college & researching all possible openings. I am considering the military and exploring all options.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyMartinez007 View Post
        Im returning to college & researching all possible openings. I am considering the military and exploring all options.
        Portate bien por 3 anos y ya
        sigpicRookie Correction Officer

Comment

Not much advise besides that?

Comment

Keep a steady employment history, stay out of trouble, no movers, parking summons etc. and further your education. Apply elsewhere, NYPD with the rest of NY/NJ is a waiting game, so you can wait or go to Baltimore, Atlanta, etc and be hired asap then come to the NYPD if an when they call. It's not about what you do and your degree being a security guard and have a Criminal justice BA makes you no more competitive than the server from the cheesecake factory with a masters in education(for the NYPD that is)

Comment

This is the kind of info I much rather have. I been reading many of the post in this forum & its interesting learning more here than any where else online.

Comment

If your aiming to be a nypd cop, don't do military. Our good to go as it is now, just a matter of waiting and making sure your backround is clean. Stay out of trouble and pay your tickets ASAP. Take a defensive driving course to clean up points if you have any.

Don't sweat it, just a waiting game now.
                Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

i also wanted to know if you guys thought i would have chances of getting hired. I took exam 2326 got a 78 on it. I'm turning 20 in august and will have my A.A in criminal justice by june of 2013. I have no record no moving vilations and have police in my family. I want to take other test as a back up but nobody giving an exam or you need to live their in order to take that exam. I'm just courious to hear you'r guyz opinion thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieF28 View Post
                    i also wanted to know if you guys thought i would have chances of getting hired. I took exam 2326 got a 78 on it. I'm turning 20 in august and will have my A.A in criminal justice by june of 2013. I have no record no moving vilations and have police in my family. I want to take other test as a back up but nobody giving an exam or you need to live their in order to take that exam. I'm just courious to hear you'r guyz opinion thank you.
                    Even if you take a new exam and score a 100 you will be hired off the one you got a 78 on first. In the NYPD process you score doesn't matter right now, all the matters is you take the test and wait anywhere from 2-4 years.

Comment

Thats why I created this post for canidates interested in joining the force. I recommend researching all options & aviod the military.

Comment

Hey all,

Why do you recommend to avoid the military? I though it was the other way around.. Does it help to have military background for LEO career purposes?
                        Protecting America with Vigilance, Integrity, & Service

Comment

Can't see why you would avoid military esp. Since you get vrt points. Active duty is a different story but if you're looking into reserves it might be worth taking a look into

Comment

your fine bro, but do yourself a huge favor and don't join auxilliary

Comment

It's all a waiting game at this point. If you're young enough & have taken the test, just keep going to college while you wait to get called or to be of appropriate age (just don't major in Criminal Justice - pick something usefull). Keep a clean record, if you get a ticket, handle it asap; don't get fired from a job, don't have any pending lawsuits, start getting your paperwork together (high school/ged diploma, college diplomas, birth certificate,dd214,etc..) and keep it somewhere safe & ready to go. You never know, might take the 2-3 years it does for most, or might not.

As far as military, it won't give you a leg up, but I won't advise either for or against it since it's a big commitment.
                              You get some veteran points on Civil Service exams, and you can buy back up to 3 years of Active Duty service towards your pension IF you served in any of the GWOT campaigns.
                              Only a few military jobs will give you a leg up on movement within the dept (i.e. foreign language, pilot, sf). If you're a regular grunt/tank driver/fueler/supply - no one cares.

military worked out to my advantage, but I did it way before I was a cop, or even thought about being one...I wasn't doing it to become a "better candidate" or anything along those lines.
                              Last edited by gunslash; 04-29-2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5969 users online. 375 members and 5594 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X