Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OnrasR View Post
    Guess i belong in this thread now, received DQ letter from NYC DOC psych today.

Of course im going to appeal it, money is no issue. Where do i begin? What can i expect the process to be like? How long of a process, etc? Should i be hopeful I can successfully appeal in time for the next class in 7mo? Or is this a longggggg process im beginning.

Thank you for any/all info.
    Originally posted by OnrasR View Post
    Another question

A friend of a friend is a Psychologist. Would i be fine using them, or would i benefit from hiring one of these lawyer/doctor combo firms?

Or can i use my guy to get the records just to decide if its worth getting a lawyer?

I have really no idea which direction to go.
    Bump for this, really can use quick info as i want to begin this right away.

Comment

• Guys, if I'm on psych review, can I have them make a decision quicker? Can I talk to a psych Dr. Or anything? Any advice? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by AhmedAlmelaiki View Post
        Guys, if I'm on psych review, can I have them make a decision quicker? Can I talk to a psych Dr. Or anything? Any advice? Thanks

It's better not to even call them and let time tell! Your best contact of information is your BI.

Comment

• My advice is to never bother your BI. It's annoying that they put people on hold than later send them a DQ.

Comment

Guess i belong in this thread now, received DQ letter from NYC DOC psych today.

Of course im going to appeal it, money is no issue. Where do i begin? What can i expect the process to be like? How long of a process, etc? Should i be hopeful I can successfully appeal in time for the next class in 7mo? Or is this a longggggg process im beginning.

Thank you for any/all info.
            Call rob kronenberg at 631-234-4434

Hes actually very very good with DOC appeals.
            Problems with a psych exam?
            Have an upcoming
            PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
            you make up your mind.
            WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM

Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
            http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

Comment

Bump for this, really can use quick info as i want to begin this right away.
              Is your friend a forensic psychologist who has done these appeal cases? This is a specialized area of psychology. Id use someone who has seen what these appeals and dq's entail like Mark Lerner, in Melville NY.
              Have an upcoming

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
              you make up your mind.

Comment

• Rob Kronenberg charge about 2k and on top of what the psychologist wants. I'm thinking Dr. Daley will be good. I spoke to him and he said I should be good. So I'm still waiting what will they end up doing with my "on review" case.

Comment

• Originally posted by AhmedAlmelaiki View Post
                  Rob Kronenberg charge about 2k and on top of what the psychologist wants. I'm thinking Dr. Daley will be good. I spoke to him and he said I should be good. So I'm still waiting what will they end up doing with my "on review" case.
                  its your (ill advised) choice to not use a lawyer. Rob Kronenberg is an attorney, who sends all his cases to Mark Lerner (who like Daley is a psychologist). Remember, the NYPD is always represented in all hearings and proceedings by an experience employment attorney. These disqualifications often involve legal arguments, and objective issues in which an independant psychological appeal evaluation alone can not address. Remember, many of these disqualification cases often go in front of a quasi-judicial panel "civil service commision" for an in person "evidentiary hearing" in which all parties will be questioned by agency attorneys. Going there with an appeal Psychologist alone, would be doing your self a disservice. Also, by retaining Mr. Kronenberg- he is retired captain, who is actually on a first name basis with many nypd officials like Dr. Archibald who is the psych services director. He is also, well respected, liked- and often called on by the civil service commision when they have questions.

Some things to remember about dr. Daley
                  he is cheaper but spends much less time with you. While his office is on Long Island, he does not live local. He lives in Michigan, and flys in a few days a month to handle these cases. He also does not like to do phone consults. As far as his claim that he was the director of psych services for NYPD; thats true, but he was merely a temporary interim director- and that, while being a staff psycholoist for NYPD, many years ago, may appear to look good on his resume- remember NYPD psychologists range from good to, well less than good.

Keep in mind you only have one shot at an appeal, and that the bitterness of poor quality always outweighs the short lived sweetness of a cheap price. While i conceed i could have opted not to use Mr. Kronenberg in my appeal, i honestly believe that it was his lengthy report filed in concert too my appeal psychologists report that swayed the agency to rescind my disqualification before it went to the civil service commision.

I say this, out of experience- and not because i have anything too gain for it, but because i have been through it and learned quite a bit. Actually, it would be illegal and unethical for an attorney to offer someone any kind of compensation for reccomending them.

Mr. Kronenberg is a very good man. When other attornies are asking for $1500.00 Retainers, and working on a $375.00 Per Hour basis with no cap reaching up to the 2-3k dollar range, mr Kronenberg only deal's with flat fee's. He was also very fair, and accomidating with me down the line when other subsuquent ancilliary issues with my case- and issues with other agencies alike arose.

Anyone wishing to "go it alone" without an attorney, has the right too- but embarking in a legal proceeding without the assistance of an attorney is something you shouls think twice about. At least you consulted with Rob, for free- in sure his consult was lengthy. Something very few others offer. (By the way, I believe Rob has done appeals with Dr Daley in the passed).

another service he offeres, for a smaller price is a Psychological exam Prep course which helps candidates understand, and prepare for these examinations so they can properly articulate them selves and do not inadvertently and unecessarily get them selves jammed up.
                  Last edited by Vista; 07-26-2015, 05:45 PM.
                  Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
                    its your (ill advised) choice to not use a lawyer. Rob Kronenberg is an attorney, who sends all his cases to Mark Lerner (who like Daley is a psychologist). Remember, the NYPD is always represented in all hearings and proceedings by an experience employment attorney. These disqualifications often involve legal arguments, and objective issues in which an independant psychological appeal evaluation alone can not address. Remember, many of these disqualification cases often go in front of a quasi-judicial panel "civil service commision" for an in person "evidentiary hearing" in which all parties will be questioned by agency attorneys. Going there with an appeal Psychologist alone, would be doing your self a disservice. Also, by retaining Mr. Kronenberg- he is retired captain, who is actually on a first name basis with many nypd officials like Dr. Archibald who is the psych services director. He is also, well respected, liked- and often called on by the civil service commision when they have questions.

he is cheaper but spends much less time with you. While his office is on Long Island, he does not live local. He lives in Michigan, and flys in a few days a month to handle these cases. He also does not like to do phone consults. As far as his claim that he was the director of psych services for NYPD; thats true, but he was merely a temporary interim director- and that, while being a staff psycholoist for NYPD, many years ago, may appear to look good on his resume- remember NYPD psychologists range from good to, well less than good.

Keep in mind you only have one shot at an appeal, and that the bitterness of poor quality always outweighs the short lived sweetness of a cheap price. While i conceed i could have opted not to use Mr. Kronenberg in my appeal, i honestly believe that it was his lengthy report filed in concert too my appeal psychologists report that swayed the agency to rescind my disqualification before it went to the civil service commision.

I say this, out of experience- and not because i have anything too gain for it, but because i have been through it and learned quite a bit. Actually, it would be illegal and unethical for an attorney to offer someone any kind of compensation for reccomending them.

Mr. Kronenberg is a very good man. When other attornies are asking for $1500.00 Retainers, and working on a $375.00 Per Hour basis with no cap reaching up to the 2-3k dollar range, mr Kronenberg only deal's with flat fee's. He was also very fair, and accomidating with me down the line when other subsuquent ancilliary issues with my case- and issues with other agencies alike arose.

Anyone wishing to "go it alone" without an attorney, has the right too- but embarking in a legal proceeding without the assistance of an attorney is something you shouls think twice about. At least you consulted with Rob, for free- in sure his consult was lengthy. Something very few others offer. (By the way, I believe Rob has done appeals with Dr Daley in the passed).

another service he offeres, for a smaller price is a Psychological exam Prep course which helps candidates understand, and prepare for these examinations so they can properly articulate them selves and do not inadvertently and unecessarily get them selves jammed up.
                    Its sad that NYPD makes the hiring process so difficult on the basis of a "hit or miss" psych evaluation and character issues. Many a person that might have made a good police officer in NYC were casted aside with some whom joined other agencies less demanding or stringent.

Comment

I appreciate your advice and, do consider taking your advice if my case comes down to a DQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
                        Its sad that NYPD makes the hiring process so difficult on the basis of a "hit or miss" psych evaluation and character issues. Many a person that might have made a good police officer in NYC were casted aside with some whom joined other agencies less demanding or stringent.

I believe the problem is that they process so many people, they can not possibly dedicate enough time to each applicant. Rather than thoroughly consider each applicant on an individual basis, if you do not fit their "cookie cutter" model it's easier to try and "shelf" a candidate, rubber stamp a DQ letter and let the candidate hash it out if the choose too.

In NYC, in particular, the civil service commision know's this, and are much more liberal and reasonable when reviewing appeals. In fact, they have frequently chided the police department in some situations. (The NYPD had even, unsuccesfully, tried to get Injunctions against Civil Service Commission overruling their decision to reinstate candidates). They even forced the NYPD to change their appeal process (when i went through it, you were DQ'd and then submitted a rebuttal- as opposed to now where you submit the appeal once a DQ is proposed).

NYC Has the fairest and most liberal appeal procedure- as opposed to suffolk county, which doesn't even allow a candidate to use an attorney, or (like the port authority) does not even (voluntarily, without a fight) allow their appeal psychologist to review their psychological disqualification record. (On that topic, Mr. Kronenberg has actually established case law stating that those records are actually protected medical records and are fully subject to NYS DOH medical records / hippa release laws that any health provider is subject too. I believe that went as high as the NYS appelate court).
                        Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

I believe the problem is that they process so many people, they can not possibly dedicate enough time to each applicant. Rather than thoroughly consider each applicant on an individual basis, if you do not fit their "cookie cutter" model it's easier to try and "shelf" a candidate, rubber stamp a DQ letter and let the candidate hash it out if the choose too.

In NYC, in particular, the civil service commision know's this, and are much more liberal and reasonable when reviewing appeals. In fact, they have frequently chided the police department in some situations. (The NYPD had even, unsuccesfully, tried to get Injunctions against Civil Service Commission overruling their decision to reinstate candidates). They even forced the NYPD to change their appeal process (when i went through it, you were DQ'd and then submitted a rebuttal- as opposed to now where you submit the appeal once a DQ is proposed).

NYC Has the fairest and most liberal appeal procedure- as opposed to suffolk county, which doesn't even allow a candidate to use an attorney, or (like the port authority) does not even (voluntarily, without a fight) allow their appeal psychologist to review their psychological disqualification record. (On that topic, Mr. Kronenberg has actually established case law stating that those records are actually protected medical records and are fully subject to NYS DOH medical records / hippa release laws that any health provider is subject too. I believe that went as high as the NYS appelate court).
                          The civil service commission can only restore a candidate's name back on the certified list of eligibles. They can not force the department to hire him or her.

Another problem for NYPD hiring practices is the possibility of discrimination law suits. Let's say NYPD hired someone who was terminated from a civil service position for cause (misconduct). Then someone else on the certified list comes along with the same similar background and gets Disqualified and removed off the list of eligbiles. This disqualified individual then turns around and file a discrimination action with the NYS Division of Human Rights stating he has been discriminated against by NYPD. He might have a good chance of winning and the Division of Human Rights DOES have the power to order NYPD to hire him unlike the civil service commission which does not. Hence, you now see the reason WHY needs to be consistent in hiring practices unlike smaller agencies that could afford to be more lenient and flexible in their hiring practices while overlooking foibles that occurred several years ago.

NYPD goes by their strict hiring and retention guidelines and they keep records of who gets disqualified and for what reason. I am sure candidates file discrimination suits against them and NYPD will always come out on top.
                          Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 07-29-2015, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Just called psych services, a helpful PO explained to me that my case is with a supervisor and a decision will be made soon, either through mail or through a phone call. I feel like I am dqed with the way he was talking to me over the phone! Gotta set money aside just in case.

Comment

• Originally posted by jayd1987 View Post
                              Just called psych services, a helpful PO explained to me that my case is with a supervisor and a decision will be made soon, either through mail or through a phone call. I feel like I am dqed with the way he was talking to me over the phone! Gotta set money aside just in case.

It pretty much sounds that way towards disqualification and decertification (removal) off the list.
                              Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 07-29-2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jayd1987 View Post
                                Just called psych services, a helpful PO explained to me that my case is with a supervisor and a decision will be made soon, either through mail or through a phone call. I feel like I am dqed with the way he was talking to me over the phone! Gotta set money aside just in case.

Probably correct.
                                Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9617 users online. 396 members and 9221 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X