Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
    Its interesting because you don't hear of too many licensed non-practicing attorneys who are also NYPD officers out there pounding the beat. Most likely assigned to the legal bureau.Then again, its only a mere handful....

He was actually a Legal Intern.
    Problems with a psych exam?
    Have an upcoming
    PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
    you make up your mind.
    WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM

Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
    http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

Comment

• Vista, I can't read all the posts but it seem as if you were disqualified. Do you mind sharing with us what was the end result of your appeal? Thanks.

Comment

• Quick question, I met with my Psychologist a few months ago, he asked for medical records (probably because of a time I went to the emergency room for stitches) and for my college transcripts, he has had the records for about 2 months now. but my first question is why would he want those records if I've never been in trouble with the law or in school ( I have my BA in criminal justice) or been prescribed any meds or had any surgeries etc.. and second I called APD and they said I still have a hold even tho I emailed my psych and he told me he received everything and to keep in touch with my investigator. Why the hold, and why would he ask for those records? Thank you for any replies in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by AhmedAlmelaiki View Post
          Vista, I can't read all the posts but it seem as if you were disqualified. Do you mind sharing with us what was the end result of your appeal? Thanks.

I appealed the Psychological DQ, and upon review of my appeal the NYPD had another psychologist reinterview me. The second Psychologist from the NYPD Agreed with my appeal Psychologist and attorney, and they rescinded my DQ. (This is sort of uncommon, and different from Winning an appeal, where civil service commision- who has the final say, decides in a candidates favor- which is much more common).

After that, i had trouble on the backround due too my driving history. I was "Character DQ", appealed that- and unfortunately lost. In the end i did not get hired; but, since my psych dq was rescinded it's treated as if i was never psych dq on future applications. So, it was worth the money.
          Have an upcoming

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
          you make up your mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
            I appealed the Psychological DQ, and upon review of my appeal the NYPD had another psychologist reinterview me. The second Psychologist from the NYPD Agreed with my appeal Psychologist and attorney, and they rescinded my DQ. (This is sort of uncommon, and different from Winning an appeal, where civil service commision- who has the final say, decides in a candidates favor- which is much more common).

After that, i had trouble on the backround due too my driving history. I was "Character DQ", appealed that- and unfortunately lost. In the end i did not get hired; but, since my psych dq was rescinded it's treated as if i was never psych dq on future applications. So, it was worth the money.
            It's good that you appealed because if you didn't, then applying to diff city agencies will be a tough battle for you. You invested in yourself for the long run without any psych dqs.

I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Comment

• Originally posted by marv_moya View Post
              Quick question, I met with my Psychologist a few months ago, he asked for medical records (probably because of a time I went to the emergency room for stitches) and for my college transcripts, he has had the records for about 2 months now. but my first question is why would he want those records if I've never been in trouble with the law or in school ( I have my BA in criminal justice) or been prescribed any meds or had any surgeries etc.. and second I called APD and they said I still have a hold even tho I emailed my psych and he told me he received everything and to keep in touch with my investigator. Why the hold, and why would he ask for those records? Thank you for any replies in advance.
              I was also thinking why would a psychologist ask for such documents. However, every psychologist is different. Some look deep in your background. I have been through three psych interviews and none of them asked me for a college transcripts but I usually volunteer to bring it and show it anyway. As far as the hospitalization maybe to determine what were you hospitalized for... Etc good luck though.

Comment

• Originally posted by jayd1987 View Post
                It's good that you appealed because if you didn't, then applying to diff city agencies will be a tough battle for you. You invested in yourself for the long run without any psych dqs.

I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Not necessary,Jayd. It only means he's not suited for police work in the NYPD. Most civil service jobs don't require psychological evaluation as a means test for hiring. The only absolute bar to police employment in New York State is a felony conviction. I have known of individuals DQed from NYPD that went on to other LE agencies.

Comment

• We can appeal a background Disqualification? If so how?

Comment

Not necessary,Jayd. It only means he's not suited for police work in the NYPD. Most civil service jobs don't require psychological evaluation as a means test for hiring. The only absolute bar to police employment in New York State is a felony conviction. I have known of individuals DQed from NYPD that went on to other LE agencies.
                    Now when you say that other individuals went on to other LE agencies, do you mean in NYS? Is it true that a dq from psych will stop you from applying to other civil service examinations with DCAS?

Comment

• Originally posted by jayd1987 View Post
                      Now when you say that other individuals went on to other LE agencies, do you mean in NYS? Is it true that a dq from psych will stop you from applying to other civil service examinations with DCAS?

Yes, I do know of individuals DQed and even terminated for cause from NYPD going on to other LE jobs within NYS. most of your medium to small size police agencies don't require psychological evaluation at all. When I first started in corrections back in 1978; all one had to do is pass a barebones physical exam. Now my department requires a candidate to take the MMPI written psychological inventory. No interviews with psychologists is required.

You can take any civil service exam in or out of NYS if you meet the minimum requirements listed in an exam notice. Being either psych or character disqualification by NYPD does NOT prevent you from being hired by other LE agencies or participating in other title civil service exams. Each agency sets their own hiring standards which vary from agency to agency.NYS, NYC, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester Counties seem to be the most stringent in hiring. These municipalities tend to disqualify on the basis of minor foibles rather than consider one's background record as a whole.

Comment

• Originally posted by AhmedAlmelaiki View Post
                        We can appeal a background Disqualification? If so how?

Background disqualifications are next to impossible to overturn. The Courts have repeatedly ruled in favor of the appointing authority's absolute discretion in hiring individuals into sensitive positions. To even attempt to do so; you would need an attorney to either file an appeal with the civil service commission which only would reinstate your name back on the list, and the CSC can NOT force NYPD to appoint you OR file an Article 78 proceeding in state supreme court arguing your character disqualification was arbitrary and/or capricious.

Comment

Background disqualifications are next to impossible to overturn. The Courts have repeatedly ruled in favor of the appointing authority's absolute discretion in hiring individuals into sensitive positions. To even attempt to do so; you would need an attorney to either file an appeal with the civil service commission which only would reinstate your name back on the list, and the CSC can NOT force NYPD to appoint you OR file an Article 78 proceeding in state supreme court arguing your character disqualification was arbitrary and/or capricious.

Your correct. But, Article 78 can only be done AFTER a CSC Appeal.
                          Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
                            Your correct. But, Article 78 can only be done AFTER a CSC Appeal.
                            In New York City, that is. Outside of NYC; the article 78 proceeding is directed against the head of the agency as the defendant. In the vast majority (all that I know ) of cases , the local municipal civil service commission, dept. of Personnel, dept. of human resources (Westchester county) or whatever other name they call themselves acts as a rubber stamp for departmental heads wishing to throw candidates off the certified list of eligibles.

Comment

In New York City, that is. Outside of NYC; the article 78 proceeding is directed against the head of the agency as the defendant. In the vast majority (all that I know ) of cases , the local municipal civil service commission, dept. of Personnel, dept. of human resources (Westchester county) or whatever other name they call themselves acts as a rubber stamp for departmental heads wishing to throw candidates off the certified list of eligibles.

What i meant was that article 78 can only be used after all administrative appeal options are exaughsted (proverbial jerk, or not).
                              Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• Sounds good....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6655 users online. 438 members and 6217 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X