Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=nypdaux2589;3591601]It was like $900

Not bad money at all for an hour or two of work.

Comment

• I haven't received the letter yet. Want to know options. Don't want to wait for the letter to come.

Comment

• Originally posted by skylinegtr12 View Post
        I haven't received the letter yet. Want to know options. Don't want to wait for the letter to come.
        Dq letter? They give you options either to appeal of withdrawal your name from the process. My advice if you feel like you got dq unfairly and this is the job you really want just appeal and don't get discouraged.
        [COLOR="#A9A9A9"][/COLOR]
        Exam#: 2326 02/2012
        List # 25xx

APD-5: 12.2013
        Medical: 3.2014
        Written Psych: 4.2014
        JST: 5.2014
        Oral Psych: 5.2014
        Meet w/ BI: 5.2014
        Received DQ Letter: 7.2014
        -Appealed -
        2nd Oral Psych: 1.2015 - PASSED -

2nd JST: 3.2015
        Mini Medical: 5.2015
        Residency Check: 6.2015 - DONE!

Got the call: 7-1-15 @ 9:05pm!
        GRADUATION: 12.29.2015

Comment

• Thanks. what's ur status as of today as far as hiring.

Comment

Thanks. what's ur status as of today as far as hiring.
            I passed my psych. I waiting my investigator to answer me. Ill have to redo my jst because it expires every 6 month and last time I took it was in May. I'll have to the mini medical too.
            List # 25xx

-Appealed -

Comment

• Nice. Was the second psych similar to the first or did they focus on certain things.

Comment

Nice. Was the second psych similar to the first or did they focus on certain things.
                Yes very different even the way I was approached for the 2nd interview. Very nice DR. Compared to the first. PM if you have any questions
                List # 25xx

-Appealed -

Comment

Nice. Was the second psych similar to the first or did they focus on certain things.
                  They focus a little more on what I got dq for but i knew the reason why. Lol
                  List # 25xx

-Appealed -

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
                    stop emailing the oaych for one. Keep in touch with your Investigator- every month or so. You will either continue the process, or recieve a Notice of Proposed DQ in which you are afforded the chance to submit an outside psychological opinion, for the NYPD to consider. You will NOT ever recieve a letter that you are on review. Review is not a decision; its a status. Review is, exactly what it sounds like- Review for a decision. The Interviewing psychologist doesnt have DQ authority. They merely note their concerns and flag it for review. It has to be officialized by the higher ups- who may DQ, Q or call you back in for second interview.
                    The interviewing psychologist absolutely has the authority to determine if someone is unsuitable for police work. Once someone is DQ'd and extensive paperwork is completed, the DQ is reviewed by a higher level psychologist who 1) sustains it or 2) advises the psych to have the candidate come back in if it does not appear to be a strong DQ.

Also, in agreement: you should NOT continue to email the psychologist daily, they each see thousands of candidate's a year and if nothing else, risks highlights your anxiety about the process. Personally, I'd shy away from pulling the "I know someone" card, no one other than the psychologist has the training or legal authority to make the decision, and it absolutely come down the chain of command to the psych that you have asked someone to look into it.

Lastly, suitability doesn't really have anything to do with being a great kid, or having a clean record. It has to do with a person's ability to cope with and manage the responsibilities of the job. i.e. a college degree, clean record, and decent job history have nothing to do with psychology. I know a lot of great, responsible people I wouldn't give a firearm to. The psychs job is to keep the officers and the community safe. Often when they request records from someone (school, therapy, etc) the records contain information that is concerning. Investigators also keep everyone in the loop (i.e. if they spoke to an old employer who didnt have great things to say, found something on facebook, etc, etc, etc.) There's much more that goes on in the background than people are aware of.

Be patient, review is review. If they asked for records and you got them to them, relax. They have thousands of records to go through regularly and priority is given to people with expiring exams and exams/lists that they know will make it into the next academy. You will NOT stay in review forever,

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
                      Better yet, I'd ask the psychologist, " Do you think you'd be able to run an open area housing unit consisting of 48 county jail inmates, without any physical barriers separating you from the inmates, charged with Homicide, Rape, Robbery, Drug trafficking, assault, DWI, Family Court Act and state parole violators?? What you would do if one of the inmates threatens you or your family? How would you react to a fight in progress on your POD (housing unit)? One of the inmates claims he's a "friend" and asks you to bring in contraband--what do you tell him or her?? You give a direct order to a boisterous, disorderly conduct inmate to "lock-in" his cell--inmate refused to do so and calls you an *******; what will you do next??
                      They are forensic psychologists, most of them have substantial experience working in prisons, forensic psychiatric units, doing not guilty by insanity evaluations, etc... without any "physical barriers." they aren't just walking into the NYPD, fair to assume that NYPD has looked into their credentials.

Comment

• Originally posted by mike_s1234 View Post
                        The interviewing psychologist absolutely has the authority to determine if someone is unsuitable for police work. Once someone is DQ'd and extensive paperwork is completed, the DQ is reviewed by a higher level psychologist who 1) sustains it or 2) advises the psych to have the candidate come back in if it does not appear to be a strong DQ.

Also, in agreement: you should NOT continue to email the psychologist daily, they each see thousands of candidate's a year and if nothing else, risks highlights your anxiety about the process. Personally, I'd shy away from pulling the "I know someone" card, no one other than the psychologist has the training or legal authority to make the decision, and it absolutely come down the chain of command to the psych that you have asked someone to look into it.

Lastly, suitability doesn't really have anything to do with being a great kid, or having a clean record. It has to do with a person's ability to cope with and manage the responsibilities of the job. i.e. a college degree, clean record, and decent job history have nothing to do with psychology. I know a lot of great, responsible people I wouldn't give a firearm to. The psychs job is to keep the officers and the community safe. Often when they request records from someone (school, therapy, etc) the records contain information that is concerning. Investigators also keep everyone in the loop (i.e. if they spoke to an old employer who didnt have great things to say, found something on facebook, etc, etc, etc.) There's much more that goes on in the background than people are aware of.

Be patient, review is review. If they asked for records and you got them to them, relax. They have thousands of records to go through regularly and priority is given to people with expiring exams and exams/lists that they know will make it into the next academy. You will NOT stay in review forever,

Deleted post. response in post #1042.
                        Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 02-02-2015, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mike_s1234 View Post

NYPD psych dq me for not having a job history.
                          Last edited by nypdaux2589; 02-02-2015, 07:22 AM.
                          List # 25xx

-Appealed -

Comment

• Most police agencies don't use interviewing psychologists. We're speaking of the smaller to mid-sized agencies that pay a lot less than the large scale metropolitan police departments. Probationary period is the key to job suitability determination in the long run. A lot of it focuses on maturity and a sense of responsibility. No one is perfect and everyone has some sort of "skeleton" or controversial issue in their background. NYPD has no shortage of pristine candidates willing to join their ranks so they can be highly selective in making appointments. It's not the end of the world for disqualified NYPD police candidates--Many can and do go on to other LE agencies either upstate or out-of-state. The only legal bar to appointment is a felony conviction.

On the topic of firearms [i.e. handguns]; it is next to impossible to obtain a full carry, CCW pistol license from NYPD unless you're a retired LEO or one of the rich and famous celebrities. Upstate New York, North of Westchester and Roclkand Counties; it isn't that difficult in obtaining a full carry NYS Pistol License from the local county judges who act as the licensing officers. A clean background history will generally guarantee a pistol license from the judges. Felony conviction and DV will automatically disqualify. Different standards for licensing exist--what one judge might deem "unacceptable" could very well be "acceptable" by another licensing officer.

Yet, in the neighboring state of Vermont, No pistol licensing is required. A Vermont resident merely has to pass a Federal Brady Check to purchase a handgun from a firearms dealer and walk out of the store with it.
                            Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 02-02-2015, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nypdaux2589 View Post
                              NYPD psych dq me for not having a job history.

It's sad that you volunteer for NYPD and yet they won't hire you based on a psychologist's opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post

It's sad that you volunteer for NYPD and yet they won't hire you based on a psychologist's opinion.
                                Yeah I know but some psych doctors do consider you.
                                List # 25xx

-Appealed -

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16519 users online. 520 members and 15999 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X