Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post

But the economic fact of life is that relatives don't pay your bills or put food on your table. Sometimes, the decision to relocate out-of-state is a sound one.
    Beyond true sir... I hear ya loud and clear but it seems like all the out of state departments that want me to come test are actually very far from me currently.

Comment

• Originally posted by nypdaux2589
      Try to email your psych doc and see what happens.
      Thats what I did originally when he asked for medical documentation because I never got any medical documentation. I just used process of elimination to figure out what my issue was and eliminated that from my life. He never emailed me back telling me to go to a doctor and get it, so I figured everything was okay. When I found out I was on review my investigator told me to go to the doctor so I'm going today. I also remember him explicitly saying not to call the psych department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by intergalaticpotato View Post
        I was going to comment on the star over heart...slow down we have a celebrity here. Plus it looks like they are levitating.

Male character in the drawing represents me in a Class A uniform of the sheriff's office. Star badge is worn to the left hand side.

Comment

You got to be on top of them or they will forget about you. I took my oral back in may/2014 she failed me for a very stupid reason. I appealed and got my own DR. to view my file. He did his report 3 months later I got a 2nd interview. This time I had a guy and he was very nice and I passed.
          Any more info like what doc you used, price and reason thanks.

Comment

I used DR. Daley. Check his website http://drrobertdaley.com. I just thought he was the best person to use since he was the former director.
            Did you wait for the letter to come or not.

Comment

I used DR. Daley. Check his website http://drrobertdaley.com. I just thought he was the best person to use since he was the former director.
              I wonder how much he charges?? no doubt, in the high four figures ($****).

Comment

• [QUOTE=nypdaux2589;3591601]It was like $900

Not bad money at all for an hour or two of work.

Comment

• I haven't received the letter yet. Want to know options. Don't want to wait for the letter to come.

Comment

• Thanks. what's ur status as of today as far as hiring.

Comment

• Nice. Was the second psych similar to the first or did they focus on certain things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
                        stop emailing the oaych for one. Keep in touch with your Investigator- every month or so. You will either continue the process, or recieve a Notice of Proposed DQ in which you are afforded the chance to submit an outside psychological opinion, for the NYPD to consider. You will NOT ever recieve a letter that you are on review. Review is not a decision; its a status. Review is, exactly what it sounds like- Review for a decision. The Interviewing psychologist doesnt have DQ authority. They merely note their concerns and flag it for review. It has to be officialized by the higher ups- who may DQ, Q or call you back in for second interview.
                        The interviewing psychologist absolutely has the authority to determine if someone is unsuitable for police work. Once someone is DQ'd and extensive paperwork is completed, the DQ is reviewed by a higher level psychologist who 1) sustains it or 2) advises the psych to have the candidate come back in if it does not appear to be a strong DQ.

Also, in agreement: you should NOT continue to email the psychologist daily, they each see thousands of candidate's a year and if nothing else, risks highlights your anxiety about the process. Personally, I'd shy away from pulling the "I know someone" card, no one other than the psychologist has the training or legal authority to make the decision, and it absolutely come down the chain of command to the psych that you have asked someone to look into it.

Lastly, suitability doesn't really have anything to do with being a great kid, or having a clean record. It has to do with a person's ability to cope with and manage the responsibilities of the job. i.e. a college degree, clean record, and decent job history have nothing to do with psychology. I know a lot of great, responsible people I wouldn't give a firearm to. The psychs job is to keep the officers and the community safe. Often when they request records from someone (school, therapy, etc) the records contain information that is concerning. Investigators also keep everyone in the loop (i.e. if they spoke to an old employer who didnt have great things to say, found something on facebook, etc, etc, etc.) There's much more that goes on in the background than people are aware of.

Be patient, review is review. If they asked for records and you got them to them, relax. They have thousands of records to go through regularly and priority is given to people with expiring exams and exams/lists that they know will make it into the next academy. You will NOT stay in review forever,

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
                          Better yet, I'd ask the psychologist, " Do you think you'd be able to run an open area housing unit consisting of 48 county jail inmates, without any physical barriers separating you from the inmates, charged with Homicide, Rape, Robbery, Drug trafficking, assault, DWI, Family Court Act and state parole violators?? What you would do if one of the inmates threatens you or your family? How would you react to a fight in progress on your POD (housing unit)? One of the inmates claims he's a "friend" and asks you to bring in contraband--what do you tell him or her?? You give a direct order to a boisterous, disorderly conduct inmate to "lock-in" his cell--inmate refused to do so and calls you an *******; what will you do next??
                          They are forensic psychologists, most of them have substantial experience working in prisons, forensic psychiatric units, doing not guilty by insanity evaluations, etc... without any "physical barriers." they aren't just walking into the NYPD, fair to assume that NYPD has looked into their credentials.

Comment

• Originally posted by mike_s1234 View Post
                            The interviewing psychologist absolutely has the authority to determine if someone is unsuitable for police work. Once someone is DQ'd and extensive paperwork is completed, the DQ is reviewed by a higher level psychologist who 1) sustains it or 2) advises the psych to have the candidate come back in if it does not appear to be a strong DQ.

Also, in agreement: you should NOT continue to email the psychologist daily, they each see thousands of candidate's a year and if nothing else, risks highlights your anxiety about the process. Personally, I'd shy away from pulling the "I know someone" card, no one other than the psychologist has the training or legal authority to make the decision, and it absolutely come down the chain of command to the psych that you have asked someone to look into it.

Lastly, suitability doesn't really have anything to do with being a great kid, or having a clean record. It has to do with a person's ability to cope with and manage the responsibilities of the job. i.e. a college degree, clean record, and decent job history have nothing to do with psychology. I know a lot of great, responsible people I wouldn't give a firearm to. The psychs job is to keep the officers and the community safe. Often when they request records from someone (school, therapy, etc) the records contain information that is concerning. Investigators also keep everyone in the loop (i.e. if they spoke to an old employer who didnt have great things to say, found something on facebook, etc, etc, etc.) There's much more that goes on in the background than people are aware of.

Be patient, review is review. If they asked for records and you got them to them, relax. They have thousands of records to go through regularly and priority is given to people with expiring exams and exams/lists that they know will make it into the next academy. You will NOT stay in review forever,

Deleted post. response in post #1042.
                            Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 02-02-2015, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• Most police agencies don't use interviewing psychologists. We're speaking of the smaller to mid-sized agencies that pay a lot less than the large scale metropolitan police departments. Probationary period is the key to job suitability determination in the long run. A lot of it focuses on maturity and a sense of responsibility. No one is perfect and everyone has some sort of "skeleton" or controversial issue in their background. NYPD has no shortage of pristine candidates willing to join their ranks so they can be highly selective in making appointments. It's not the end of the world for disqualified NYPD police candidates--Many can and do go on to other LE agencies either upstate or out-of-state. The only legal bar to appointment is a felony conviction.

On the topic of firearms [i.e. handguns]; it is next to impossible to obtain a full carry, CCW pistol license from NYPD unless you're a retired LEO or one of the rich and famous celebrities. Upstate New York, North of Westchester and Roclkand Counties; it isn't that difficult in obtaining a full carry NYS Pistol License from the local county judges who act as the licensing officers. A clean background history will generally guarantee a pistol license from the judges. Felony conviction and DV will automatically disqualify. Different standards for licensing exist--what one judge might deem "unacceptable" could very well be "acceptable" by another licensing officer.

Yet, in the neighboring state of Vermont, No pistol licensing is required. A Vermont resident merely has to pass a Federal Brady Check to purchase a handgun from a firearms dealer and walk out of the store with it.
                              Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 02-02-2015, 07:40 AM.

Comment

NYPD psych dq me for not having a job history.

It's sad that you volunteer for NYPD and yet they won't hire you based on a psychologist's opinion.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3309 users online. 259 members and 3050 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X