Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
    In extreme cases, their are options. Is he on psych review or investigative review? Psych review typically takes about 6-10 months for a final status. Investigative review can take longer- but they have been working too change this.

Ifin an extreme case it becomes necessary- an attempt to force a decision is possible through an Article 78- but you can bet your bottom dollar that will result in a DQ (backing them into a corner may be your only option if their planning to indefinately keep you on hold).

Have your buddy (or you) email me at [email protected]

those letters are notices of proposed dq. Basically giving you the chance to submit an argument supporting your fitness for the job. Heres a good video-http://youtu.be/YLlAfNX4aL0
    Article 78 proceedings in state court are reviewed to ascertain whether a decision by a governmental body is arbitrary or capacious. In the case of law enforcement candidate fitness determinations, the courts have consistently upheld the appointing officer decisions in hiring applicants for law enforcement positions. The court's reasoning is that LEO positions require public trust and confidence and are of a sensitive nature.

However; what might be an unacceptable employment matter-medical, character or psych issue- to a police agency could be acceptable to another agency. Many factors enter into the equation of receiving an LEO appointment. NYPD uses a predetermined list of disqualification attributes and the least little thing wrong with the candidate will result in disqualification. Remember with NYPD there are no shortage of 'qualified' candidates. In upstate rural New York, it’s WHO you are or WHO you know to get an LEO position in local government.
    Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 01-27-2015, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post

Why can't NYPD just administer the MMPI Inventory Test instead of this psych interview nonsense which most police agencies don't do. Sad because many a good potential officer gets eliminated out of the process.

Most likely, the LT assigned to the NYPD medical unit will ask the candidate to sign a "letter of declination" which will effectively remove the candidate off the civil service list of eligibles. However; the psych disqualification still stands even if the candidate signs off on it.

They do in fact administer the MMPI2, CPI, and that Drawing test (the one where you draw the family and house ((not the family jumping out of a burning house lol)).

The problem is, that once the candidate is marked "review" (supervisory review) their is such a backlog that it can take a long time. Theirs also times when a file sits incomplete, lost, etc. It has to go through the ranks, an outside consultation by a NYPD contracted consultant (dr arko) before the head of psych services rubber stamps the DQ.

Sometimes it takes a gently / persuasively worded letter to get things moving again.
      Personally, i was on Investigative review for a long time- it took a phone call by a deputy inspector to get them to make a decision.

Their have been cases in which Article 78 was used, and an Injunction was issued against the NYPD to issue a hiring decision. I forget where i read it.
      Problems with a psych exam?
      Have an upcoming
      PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
      you make up your mind.
      WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM

Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
      http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
        They do in fact administer the MMPI2, CPI, and that Drawing test (the one where you draw the family and house ((not the family jumping out of a burning house lol)).

The problem is, that once the candidate is marked "review" (supervisory review) their is such a backlog that it can take a long time. Theirs also times when a file sits incomplete, lost, etc. It has to go through the ranks, an outside consultation by a NYPD contracted consultant (dr arko) before the head of psych services rubber stamps the DQ.

Sometimes it takes a gently / persuasively worded letter to get things moving again.
        Personally, i was on Investigative review for a long time- it took a phone call by a deputy inspector to get them to make a decision.

Their have been cases in which Article 78 was used, and an Injunction was issued against the NYPD to issue a hiring decision. I forget where i read it.
        Draw a family along with a house?? You got to be kidding!! I took General Psychology and Abnormal Psychology in college. I agree with the MMPI inventory being administered to candidates. No one is pristine perfect but NYPD expects their potential hires to be.

Baltimore and Atlanta Police Departments are actively recruiting and their applicant processing time from application to appointment is a few short months compared to an average of three years wait for NYPD.
        Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 01-27-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Draw a family along with a house?? You got to be kidding!! I took General Psychology and Abnormal Psychology in college. I agree with the MMPI inventory being administered to candidates. No one is pristine perfect but NYPD expects their potential hires to be.

Baltimore and Atlanta Police Departments are actively recruiting and their applicant processing time from application to appointment is a few short months compared to an average of three years wait for NYPD.
          A lot of candidates these days are tied down to their families, hence why most don't go testing too far out of state. I was contacted by Atlanta a few times (career fair at college/mailing list) it seems like they definitely do hire very frequently.

Comment

• The drawing is an integral part of it. You would be amazed at what can be gleaned from it...
            You can't administer the tests WITHOUT an interview.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• CCO's art drawing of Family and House.

Psychological evaluations based on artwork:

CCO001.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12692[/ATTACH]
                On review for each hand only having three fingers. No driveway either?

Comment

• Im currently on review dont know for what either. They requested my disciplinary records from High school and junior high and I haven't herd anything since. Im list number 6xx. Just wanted to know Since im on review would i still be receiving my jst letter checked the mail today and didnt get anything i had my meeting with my investigator already. If not How and when should i find out if i was disqualified its has been almost 3 months since i took the oral exam

Comment

• Originally posted by LINY View Post
                    Did you notice the sheriff's star and stenton hat?

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12692[/ATTACH]
                      "We asked you to draw a house why did you add the sun?"

Comment

• Originally posted by The hopeful View Post
                        "We asked you to draw a house why did you add the sun?"
                        Better yet, I'd ask the psychologist, " Do you think you'd be able to run an open area housing unit consisting of 48 county jail inmates, without any physical barriers separating you from the inmates, charged with Homicide, Rape, Robbery, Drug trafficking, assault, DWI, Family Court Act and state parole violators?? What you would do if one of the inmates threatens you or your family? How would you react to a fight in progress on your POD (housing unit)? One of the inmates claims he's a "friend" and asks you to bring in contraband--what do you tell him or her?? You give a direct order to a boisterous, disorderly conduct inmate to "lock-in" his cell--inmate refused to do so and calls you an *******; what will you do next??

Comment

• Originally posted by LINY View Post
                          On review at my age, LINY????

Comment

• Originally posted by davay521 View Post
                            Im currently on review dont know for what either. They requested my disciplinary records from High school and junior high and I haven't herd anything since. Im list number 6xx. Just wanted to know Since im on review would i still be receiving my jst letter checked the mail today and didnt get anything i had my meeting with my investigator already. If not How and when should i find out if i was disqualified its has been almost 3 months since i took the oral exam
                            Don't feel bad,davay521; LINY just put on psych review as well....LOL

Comment

• Hey guys I was put on review based on the doctor wanting psych records of when I was 5. I heard this is the best case scenario because after looking at the records, he'll make a decision. Rather than deeper reasons of being put on review. Anyone know how long after submitting records, do you usually hear anything? Also do you basically find out if you passed your oral psych from your investigator?

Comment

• Originally posted by morafiq View Post
                                A lot of candidates these days are tied down to their families, hence why most don't go testing too far out of state. I was contacted by Atlanta a few times (career fair at college/mailing list) it seems like they definitely do hire very frequently.

But the economic fact of life is that relatives don't pay your bills or put food on your table. Sometimes, the decision to relocate out-of-state is a sound one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9368 users online. 334 members and 9034 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X