Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by haoken View Post
    Just offering my opinion from someone that went through the appeals process. Appealing costs wayyyyyy too much dough. You're looking at $2k for initally hiring the attorney to represent you, another $2k just to meet with the your own psych for his or her own independent evaluation. Wait for 3 to 6 months for PD to repsond and then have your attorney request a hearing. If you are granted a hearing, its going to cost you another $2.5k to have your attorney represent you at the hearing and another $2.5k to have the psych you hired to be an expert witness. This whole process is a emotional rollercoaster ride and a dent in your wallet. It makes more sense to just take more exams or move on to something else. Its not the end of the world if PD doesn't take you, look at other states/cities/careers.
    That sounds like tooo much. The doctor usually charges $900-$1100.
    [COLOR="#A9A9A9"][/COLOR]
    Exam#: 2326 02/2012
    List # 25xx

APD-5: 12.2013
    Medical: 3.2014
    Written Psych: 4.2014
    JST: 5.2014
    Oral Psych: 5.2014
    Meet w/ BI: 5.2014
    Received DQ Letter: 7.2014
    -Appealed -
    2nd Oral Psych: 1.2015 - PASSED -

2nd JST: 3.2015
    Mini Medical: 5.2015
    Residency Check: 6.2015 - DONE!

Got the call: 7-1-15 @ 9:05pm!
    GRADUATION: 12.29.2015

Comment

Just offering my opinion from someone that went through the appeals process. Appealing costs wayyyyyy too much dough. You're looking at $2k for initally hiring the attorney to represent you, another $2k just to meet with the your own psych for his or her own independent evaluation. Wait for 3 to 6 months for PD to repsond and then have your attorney request a hearing. If you are granted a hearing, its going to cost you another $2.5k to have your attorney represent you at the hearing and another $2.5k to have the psych you hired to be an expert witness. This whole process is a emotional rollercoaster ride and a dent in your wallet. It makes more sense to just take more exams or move on to something else. Its not the end of the world if PD doesn't take you, look at other states/cities/careers.
      Its definitely a not cheap undertaking. I was fortunate enough to be in financial position in which i could do it. By no means rich and it still stung a bit, but- i felt that strongly about the situation.

The prices vary greatly. One attorney (windsel marks) told me $450 / hour with a $7500 retainer.

I think all said and done, i paid around $3800 in total for both the lawyer and psychologist for both appeals. I did not however need a hearing- on the psych, NYPD rescinded their DQ. On the character, the NYPD won it on paper.

The lawyer did "the right thing" on the second (the character) appeal and took it pro bono. Not many lawyers do stuff like that, basically for free. I was lucky.
      Problems with a psych exam?
      Have an upcoming
      PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
      you make up your mind.
      WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM

Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
      http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
        When you apply to agencies- you do sign a records release form granting the agency your applying to access to whatever they want.
        You're not giving them a "blank check" for records release; specially its directed to current and former employers,schools you have attended, credit standing--not to police agencies you have applied to and have been rejected from.

Comment

It's a wise opinion. a very small percentage of those DQed by NYPD for whatever reason manage to overturn a DQ and get hired by the agency. Facing stark reality...if the agency don't want you---you wouldn't get hired. A few of these civil practice Attorneys will tell you anything to get your money. Most rejected candidates will move on to other LE agencies either upstate or out-of-state.

Comment

• Originally posted by nypdaux2589 View Post
            That sounds like tooo much. The doctor usually charges $900-$1100.
            Haoken is speaking of legal representation costs in a civil service commission hearing--not just the expert psychologist witness fee.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
              You're not giving them a "blank check" for records release; specially its directed to current and former employers,schools you have attended, credit standing--not to police agencies you have applied to and have been rejected from.
              Not sure about that. Nassaus release was pretty concise and explicit basically hit everything i could imagine.
              Have an upcoming

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
              you make up your mind.

Comment

Not sure about that. Nassaus release was pretty concise and explicit basically hit everything i could imagine.
                Nassau politics is pretty much like upstate NY. Start talking to the local politicians, county legislators and you'll get the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
                  Nassau politics is pretty much like upstate NY. Start talking to the local politicians, county legislators and you'll get the job.
                  100 percent.
                  Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

100 percent.
                    Now get to "work".....start attending political fundraisers in Nassau County. Get yourself known.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackman39 View Post
                      Hey I took the oral in late June and haven't had anything returned to me and whenever I contact my investigator, which I do every 3 weeks or so, he just says the hiring process is a long process and for me to stay out of trouble.

Don't you get a letter in the mail a few weeks later about the psych and future JST dates? Or because I just missed July, they're taking care of others first?

Just a little confused and getting a little nervous here. Thanks for any reply.
                      Giving this a quick bump.

Comment

• Being that a DV case is auto DQ. What if you were the victim? Like you had an OOP against a person and the person violated it and the victim got the perp collared. Will being the victim be ground for a DQ?

Comment

Giving this a quick bump.
                          Once you take the oral it's on your initiative to find out if you passed or not. They will not mail you anything about the psych process. If your psych doctor gave you a deadline to hand in documents, that means your on review and need to hand in the necessary paperwork in that allotted time. If you do not your process will become 'discontinued' which means your entire process freezes. You will receive nothing, until that paperwork is handed in and cleared by the doctor. If you weren't given a date then passed, failed or on review. They will not tell you. There are 3 ways to my knowledge to find out if you passed the oral or not.

1. Contact your BI and ask if you passed, if s/he isn't giving you an answer, we'll move on to step 2!
                          2. Contact CR (718) 972 3120. "Hello my name is First Last, I'm on exam XXXX list # XXXX I'm just calling to see if I have any holds, or reviews on my process? If they say "No." "You're moving along." or "You passed." you passed congratulations!
                          3. You can also make an account on http://nypdtraineescommunity.activeboard.com/ which is a NYPD ran community board, and PM APD directly and give them your info. again and they'll email you back within a few days.

Hope this helps you, good luck!

Originally posted by MosNY View Post
                          Being that a DV case is auto DQ. What if you were the victim? Like you had an OOP against a person and the person violated it and the victim got the perp collared. Will being the victim be ground for a DQ?
                          Not OTJ yet, but in my opinion I think it would be the Psych Doctors opinion, and situation you bring. Even if you have a OOP and are the victim, they maybe a little cold footed to place a firearm in that situation still. I don't think it's something 100% impossible to overcome, you just would have to articulate yourself very well, and give them the confidence no incidents would occur. It would definitely make your process a lot harder Mr.WuTang.

Comment

• Originally posted by PoliceSeeker View Post
                            Once you take the oral it's on your initiative to find out if you passed or not. They will not mail you anything about the psych process. If your psych doctor gave you a deadline to hand in documents, that means your on review and need to hand in the necessary paperwork in that allotted time. If you do not your process will become 'discontinued' which means your entire process freezes. You will receive nothing, until that paperwork is handed in and cleared by the doctor. If you weren't given a date then passed, failed or on review. They will not tell you. There are 3 ways to my knowledge to find out if you passed the oral or not.

1. Contact your BI and ask if you passed, if s/he isn't giving you an answer, we'll move on to step 2!
                            2. Contact CR (718) 972 3120. "Hello my name is First Last, I'm on exam XXXX list # XXXX I'm just calling to see if I have any holds, or reviews on my process? If they say "No." "You're moving along." or "You passed." you passed congratulations!
                            3. You can also make an account on http://nypdtraineescommunity.activeboard.com/ which is a NYPD ran community board, and PM APD directly and give them your info. again and they'll email you back within a few days.

Hope this helps you, good luck!
                            It does a lot, thank you. I'll give Candidate Relations a call tomorrow or Friday, I talk to my Investigator monthly and recently spoke to him and he never brought up me failing or passing so I'll just go straight to Candidate Relations.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by MosNY View Post
                              Being that a DV case is auto DQ. What if you were the victim? Like you had an OOP against a person and the person violated it and the victim got the perp collared. Will being the victim be ground for a DQ?
                              Your the victim. Their not looking too victimize you again. They would likely address it and be more conferned with how iyoucdealt with it and how it effected you long term. I know a candidate who went through some nasty stuff as a kid; and they did use it against her to say she had "poor stress tolerance".
                              Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

It does a lot, thank you. I'll give Candidate Relations a call tomorrow or Friday, I talk to my Investigator monthly and recently spoke to him and he never brought up me failing or passing so I'll just go straight to Candidate Relations.

Thanks again.
                                If your investigator is still working on your case, then your not onnosych review. Your investigator should be your point of contact but do not call every three weeks. They do get annoyed. And they can, make your life hell if you aggrevate them enough.

If you want a definate answer- mail a letter to the Personnel Bureau, address it to Commisioner Arnold Wechsler and inquire as to your current candidacy status for police officer- include youe list and exam number.

I did this- actually faxed it too personell and in a few weeks recieved a letter back from An a asst chief telling me i was on review. You may or may not have a similiar result.
                                Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6247 users online. 207 members and 6040 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X