Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The hopeful View Post
    If you dont mind if I but in here real quick. I see LINY was dq by the NYPD but got the go ahead from PAPD. Must not be as stringent as you make it seem.
    I was not DQ'd by the NYPD. I was discontinued by them. There is a big difference between the two. I could have went forward with it and reopened if I had decided to but figured I'd rather apply for other agencies. I am definitely better off because of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by The hopeful View Post
      If you dont mind if I but in here real quick. I see LINY was dq by the NYPD but got the go ahead from PAPD. Must not be as stringent as you make it seem.
      Actually, PANYNJ is strict but their reasonable. They told me that they would honestly rather hire an older candiate whocscrewed up a lottle than a young kid fresh out lf college with no life exlerience.

Under advice from a Sgt who im friends with, i withdrew from the PANYNJ process. I was on an old exam and no way would i have gotten cleared to be hired off that exam, which would be the last class hired.

The port authority is strict with getting them what they want and following instructions- but, overall their process is much more professional. The difference is, that these investigators handle about 10 cases and can spend much more time reviewing everything. They have alot more individual discretion.
      Problems with a psych exam?
      Have an upcoming
      PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
      you make up your mind.
      WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM

Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
      http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

Comment

• Vista...What section of the Public Health Law allows an agency to release an applicant's medical records?

Comment

• Originally posted by LINY View Post
          I was not DQ'd by the NYPD. I was discontinued by them. There is a big difference between the two. I could have went forward with it and reopened if I had decided to but figured I'd rather apply for other agencies. I am definitely better off because of it.
          Ah ok excuse me for the misunderstanding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
            Actually, PANYNJ is strict but their reasonable. They told me that they would honestly rather hire an older candiate whocscrewed up a lottle than a young kid fresh out lf college with no life exlerience.

Under advice from a Sgt who im friends with, i withdrew from the PANYNJ process. I was on an old exam and no way would i have gotten cleared to be hired off that exam, which would be the last class hired.

The port authority is strict with getting them what they want and following instructions- but, overall their process is much more professional. The difference is, that these investigators handle about 10 cases and can spend much more time reviewing everything. They have alot more individual discretion.
            Ok you lost me here my friend. You said here that they would rather hire a candidate thats screwed up a lot over someone who hasnt even really had a chance at life. Then at the end you say that they are much more strict when it comes to getting what they want especially since investigators and can spend more time reviewing everything.

Comment

• You were DQ'd by NYPD on a character issue and then discontinued your app for the PAPD while in the process? If you were in the process, what would have prevented you from being cleared for hiring? Or were you also told by the PAPD they did not want you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                Vista...What section of the Public Health Law allows an agency to release an applicant's medical records?

Lt., that same thought somehow came into my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post

Background investigators COLLECT DATA to be reviewed. Hiring determinations are made by higher ups and this is where the discretion lies.

Comment

Vista...What section of the Public Health Law allows an agency to release an applicant's medical records?
                    Another response to multiple questions -

I was on the 2007 exam. At the time i was called, my case with NYPD was still ongoing. That would have caused some friction- and they never would have been able too get me through in time for the next class (which was the last for the 2007 exam). They said although id likely not be dq , that id "die with the list". Under my Friends ( a sgt in papd, who was close with my bi) recommendation, I opted too withdraw and gave no reason, and took another test.

They also gave me some advice- "you dont have to be perfect. People screw up. But show me you moved on. 5 years of no summonses, steady job, etc goes a long way. Were one of the few agencies who would rather hire a guy who is older and screwed up a little ...."

LINY was probably given the same speech by the inspector general during the drug test when he said "if you used drugs recently, ill give you 60 seconds to walk out no questions, after that- those guys are gonna block the door (mentioned the movie a bronx tale)" then when they left, the speech about "you guys may look down at them, but you should look down at the guys who stayed, will pop on this drug test and that im gonna dq- id have no problem hiring those guys who left, down the road".

Yes- they were strict with what they wanted out of you and when they wanted it. Much more paperwork than NYPD. If you were missing something, they wanted a written explanation of what it was your missinf, what your doing to get it , names and phone numbers of who you talked too to get it and when you will get it submitted- in your packet (they kinda make you organize your stuff and build your own binder/file for them) They outright said "if you want this job, your going to get this done. You will jump through our hoops. We will know who's serious and who isn't". They also said if an employer refused to send records (NYPD was specifically mentioned as a problem for guys who were on the job) get a lawyer, and sue them.

While they were strict they also were much more candid, straight forward and transparent on what to expect and were very easy to get in touch with. They expect you to be just as transparent and expeditious with them. They had Quick responses too emails, investigator preferred me to call his cell as opposed too the office. Even texted me the date / time too come in. (Obviously, This is impossible for NYPD due too the case load although my NYPD BI very easy to deal with as well).
                    (Interviews by the Port are recorded, and done by your BI and a second detective- so it can be nerve-wracking being hammered by two investigators at once)

Section 18 of the public health law does apply to public agencies/employment screenings. (See 18 (1)(e) Courts have also ruled that the public officers law does not apply and that these records are to be treated the same as if they were from any doctor or hospital- basically, a candidate or whoever they designate to receive their records should have access too them. (This was actually addressed in a case filed against the port authority when they refused to release psych records pertaining to a Psych DQ). So in theory, all's that should be needed is a HIPPA release.

18(1)(e)-(e) "Patient information" or "information" means any information concerning or relating to the examination, health assessment including, but not limited to, a health assessment for insurance and employment purposes or treatment of an identifiable subject maintained or possessed by a health care facility or health care practitioner who has provided or is providing services for assessment of a health condition including, but not limited to, a health assessment for insurance and employment purposes or has treated or is treating such subject
                    Last edited by Vista; 09-03-2014, 08:04 AM.
                    Have an upcoming

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
                    you make up your mind.

Comment

• Precision in postings means a lot. Your original post about the Public Health Law implies that NYPD psych exams are readily available to anyone requesting them. These records are confidential and not open to public scrutiny. The fact of a DQ is available. You as the subject/patient have a right to the records and have the right to grant others access to them. Perhaps in my old age I am getting a bit dense, but I am still not comprehending the PAPD problem. Since you were in the hiring process, what would have caused the friction? What advantage, other than having one less DQ on your record, did withdrawing give you?

Comment

Precision in postings means a lot. Your original post about the Public Health Law implies that NYPD psych exams are readily available to anyone requesting them. These records are confidential and not open to public scrutiny. The fact of a DQ is available. You as the subject/patient have a right to the records and have the right to grant others access to them. Perhaps in my old age I am getting a bit dense, but I am still not comprehending the PAPD problem. Since you were in the hiring process, what would have caused the friction? What advantage, other than having one less DQ on your record, did withdrawing give you?
                        Their reasoning was, since my case was an ongoing legal issue with NYPD they would not send them any paperwork they requested. If i needed too sue for it, id be pressed for time. It was the same thing they told NYPD guys who were otj.
                        Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

Precision in postings means a lot. Your original post about the Public Health Law implies that NYPD psych exams are readily available to anyone requesting them. These records are confidential and not open to public scrutiny. The fact of a DQ is available. You as the subject/patient have a right to the records and have the right to grant others access to them. Perhaps in my old age I am getting a bit dense, but I am still not comprehending the PAPD problem. Since you were in the hiring process, what would have caused the friction? What advantage, other than having one less DQ on your record, did withdrawing give you?
                          When you apply to agencies- you do sign a records release form granting the agency your applying to access to whatever they want.
                          Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• Basically, then, PAPD would not clear you without a resolution of your NYPD application. And you always have the right to grant another person the right to access your medical records. That is the key point, not the PHL.

Comment

Basically, then, PAPD would not clear you without a resolution of your NYPD application. And you always have the right to grant another person the right to access your medical records. That is the key point, not the PHL.
                              exactly with the port auth thing.

PHL law states that the agency must release them if requested.
                              Last edited by Vista; 09-03-2014, 09:50 AM.
                              Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• Just offering my opinion from someone that went through the appeals process. Appealing costs wayyyyyy too much dough. You're looking at $2k for initally hiring the attorney to represent you, another $2k just to meet with the your own psych for his or her own independent evaluation. Wait for 3 to 6 months for PD to repsond and then have your attorney request a hearing. If you are granted a hearing, its going to cost you another $2.5k to have your attorney represent you at the hearing and another $2.5k to have the psych you hired to be an expert witness. This whole process is a emotional rollercoaster ride and a dent in your wallet. It makes more sense to just take more exams or move on to something else. Its not the end of the world if PD doesn't take you, look at other states/cities/careers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9790 users online. 466 members and 9324 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X