Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• been hanging around for a few years and I never seen Vista post anything but helpful information and his experience. Which the majority of us are looking for.

Comment

• If you are granted a second interview; how long from the initial psych oral do you get called in for it?
      NYPD Exam 2326
      List - 14**

Initial Med- Finished
      Written Psych- Finished
      Oral Psych- Done, Review?
      JST- ??
      Mini Med- ??
      Meet with BI- August

Comment

• Originally posted by InTheProcess13 View Post
        been hanging around for a few years and I never seen Vista post anything but helpful information and his experience. Which the majority of us are looking for.
        Keep in mind the information Vista put out on this forum is from a subjective viewpoint-his!! Yes, he does want to work for NYPD but NYPD does not want him as they deemed him "not qualified" according to their established standards. His circumstances does not represent an absolute bar to law enforcement employment. Perhaps his situation might change in the unforeseen future with a different agency.

Comment

• I also have some concerns about the "advertisements" Vista lists at the bottom of his posts. Why is he advertising professionals? It gives the appearance that these "pros" can successfully challenge a DQ. He certainly was not DQ'd simply for a bad driving recod. As County Correction Oficer rightfully notes, the DQ came from the totality of his app. He went abit overboard with his snide remark about the psychologists. Many are not doctors, either medical or PhDs and make excellent witnesses in court. I continue to stress that on threads like this one, posters should only post what they know to be accurate info. And thread readers should look carefully at what is written and by which members. There are number of veteran LEOs posting here. Their comments should be welcomed.
          Last edited by Dinosaur32; 07-25-2014, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
            I also have some concerns about the "advertisements" Vista lists at the bottom of his posts. Why is he advertising professionals? It gives the appearance that these "pros" can successfully challenge a DQ. He certainly was not DQ'd simply for a bad driving recod. As County Correction Oficer rightfully notes, the DQ came from the totality of his app. He went abit overboard with his snide remark about the psychologists. Many are not doctors, either medical or PhDs and make excellent witnesses in court. I continue to stress that on threads like this one, posters should only post what they know to be accurate info. And thread readers should look carefully at what is written and by which members. There are number of veteran LEOs posting here. Their comments should be welcomed.
            Lt., A lot of it [disqualified NYPD candidates posting on these forums] appears to be bitterness towards the system that rejected them. Appointing authorities have a broad latitude in selecting candidates for appointment given the sensitive nature of law enforcement positions.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post

There is no requirement in New York State that Psychologists have to be licensed physicians. On the other hand, psychiatrists are licensed physicians and can prescribe psych meds.
              Let me elaborate. They do not have PHd's, they have masters degrees.

I know the difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist
              Problems with a psych exam?
              Have an upcoming
              PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
              you make up your mind.
              WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM

Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
              http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

Comment

Depends on what you call an "alcohol offense". Driving while intoxicated does indicate a serious lack oi never had a dei or dui. f judgement. Again, police agencies do have broad discreation in making appointments. Most of your larger metropolitan police departments have strict hiring and retention guidelines.

From what I read from your previous posting; the NYC CSC upheld NYPD's determination of you being DQed on character issues--i.e your driving history. You might want to look at other police agencies out-of state. A stable employment history will go a long way in proving to appointing officers you're responsible and that the DWI arrest was an "isolated incident" never again to be repeated.
                Have an upcoming

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
                you make up your mind.

Comment

• Let's get a few things straight:

I never got a DUI, DWI- i barely, ever, drink. I have no respect for anyone who drives drunk, period. However i do not pass judgement and people, often do make a solitary juvenile mistake.

I never lied to anyone or gave them false hope.Yes, i always told people apply for other departments, Take more tests and try and work on their faults- and try to show how their negative issues are in the passed. I always said Not all appeals are winnable, but you will not know until you initiate your appeal and receive the supporting documentation from NYPD that outlines the basis of their determination. Civil service Commission (particularly in NYC) are very fair people and frequently over turns wrongful and overzealous disqualifications. Many people do, get hired. Their is no magic elixir. Their is no guarantees, or certainty.

Whenever i was messaged privately, i always told people straight up- you appeal, and you may win, lose, etc but no matter what they should explore their legal options and make their own decision. I LOST MY SECOND APPEAL-AND IM NOT BITTER ABOUT SPENDING A NICKLE OF THE MONEY. I WANTED THE JOB AND TRIED EVERY ROUTE POSSIBLE.

I know the difference between a Psychiatrist (M.D. or D.O.) and a Psychologist (phd). Some NYPD Psychologists however, are neither. They have a Masters. Now, im not trying to denigrate a Masters- im sure their capable smart people, but id much rather have some one with better qualifications handling my case. Look, a Physicians assistant is a capable, educated and skilled practitioner and can do whatever his supervising physician allows him too- but would you want them performing complex brain surgery?

Yes, i do know what my employers and schools wrote. This was included as part of NYPD's Legal Brief that your entitled too, but only entitled too as an appellant.

Bottom line is, if you want the job and get a Notice of DQ or proposed DQ, you owe it too your self to explore what potential legal (appeal) avenues are available too you and make up your own mind. Even if you appeal a psychological determination and do not get hired by that agency, it would serve you well as you now have a document in hand that directly addresses that disqualification for future law enforcement applications.

Anybody who wishes to demonize me on here, for providing some insight and encouragement into the appeal process should reevaluate what my intentions are. It serves me no benefit if anyone appeals. It's no sweat off my back, and it's of no benefit to me. But people do need to know that NYPD has a practice of wrongfully branding people psychologically disqualified based on non-psychological issues that really should be addressed in the character investigation phase of the application.

People need to know what Implications a uncontested psychological disqualification can carry- and that an appeal goes well beyond the agency whose determination your appealing- as a Psych DQ Stays with you for life, if you let the 30 day appeal window expire.

You can say all you want that other agencies will make a determination based off of their own tests, interviews. Etc and you are right. However, the fact that another agency deemed you psychologically unfit, is of paramount significance and carries a lot of weight either directly, or even indirectly through bias- when another agency makes their determination.

Candidates, should always explore an appeal and make their own educated decision. It has helped numerous candidates get the job that were seeking. It has also, cleared the names of many who did not get the job.

By telling people to just cower down, give up and accept the NYPD's determination and that NYPD's staff is infallible, perfect and without human error (which is an inherent trait of human nature)- that's would be the biggest piece of misinformation on here and is of a great disservice.
                  Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mag.One View Post
                    If you are granted a second interview; how long from the initial psych oral do you get called in for it?
                    Whenever they get to it. No time frame. Usually no more than 6 months.
                    Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
                      Let's get a few things straight:

I never got a DUI, DWI- i barely, ever, drink. I have no respect for anyone who drives drunk, period. However i do not pass judgement and people, often do make a solitary juvenile mistake.

I never lied to anyone or gave them false hope.Yes, i always told people apply for other departments, Take more tests and try and work on their faults- and try to show how their negative issues are in the passed. I always said Not all appeals are winnable, but you will not know until you initiate your appeal and receive the supporting documentation from NYPD that outlines the basis of their determination. Civil service Commission (particularly in NYC) are very fair people and frequently over turns wrongful and overzealous disqualifications. Many people do, get hired. Their is no magic elixir. Their is no guarantees, or certainty.

Whenever i was messaged privately, i always told people straight up- you appeal, and you may win, lose, etc but no matter what they should explore their legal options and make their own decision. I LOST MY SECOND APPEAL-AND IM NOT BITTER ABOUT SPENDING A NICKLE OF THE MONEY. I WANTED THE JOB AND TRIED EVERY ROUTE POSSIBLE.

I know the difference between a Psychiatrist (M.D. or D.O.) and a Psychologist (phd). Some NYPD Psychologists however, are neither. They have a Masters. Now, im not trying to denigrate a Masters- im sure their capable smart people, but id much rather have some one with better qualifications handling my case. Look, a Physicians assistant is a capable, educated and skilled practitioner and can do whatever his supervising physician allows him too- but would you want them performing complex brain surgery?

Yes, i do know what my employers and schools wrote. This was included as part of NYPD's Legal Brief that your entitled too, but only entitled too as an appellant.

Bottom line is, if you want the job and get a Notice of DQ or proposed DQ, you owe it too your self to explore what potential legal (appeal) avenues are available too you and make up your own mind. Even if you appeal a psychological determination and do not get hired by that agency, it would serve you well as you now have a document in hand that directly addresses that disqualification for future law enforcement applications.

Anybody who wishes to demonize me on here, for providing some insight and encouragement into the appeal process should reevaluate what my intentions are. It serves me no benefit if anyone appeals. It's no sweat off my back, and it's of no benefit to me. But people do need to know that NYPD has a practice of wrongfully branding people psychologically disqualified based on non-psychological issues that really should be addressed in the character investigation phase of the application.

People need to know what Implications a uncontested psychological disqualification can carry- and that an appeal goes well beyond the agency whose determination your appealing- as a Psych DQ Stays with you for life, if you let the 30 day appeal window expire.

You can say all you want that other agencies will make a determination based off of their own tests, interviews. Etc and you are right. However, the fact that another agency deemed you psychologically unfit, is of paramount significance and carries a lot of weight either directly, or even indirectly through bias- when another agency makes their determination.

Candidates, should always explore an appeal and make their own educated decision. It has helped numerous candidates get the job that were seeking. It has also, cleared the names of many who did not get the job.

By telling people to just cower down, give up and accept the NYPD's determination and that NYPD's staff is infallible, perfect and without human error (which is an inherent trait of human nature)- that's would be the biggest piece of misinformation on here and is of a great disservice.

Yes, Vista; the NYPD hiring process is not perfect but it is quite standardized in gathering background data in hiring and evaluating potential police officer candidates. For your information; NYPD candidate background investigations are "sealed" records. These records, and the particulars contained in them, are NOT made available to the general public or to another police agency. NYPD does not participate in other police agencies' background investigations of their candidates. You place great emphasis on physiological testing of police candidates and the potential damage of a 'physiological disqualification'. Yet, most of your medium to smaller sized Law Enforcement Agencies do not perform physiological testing on their candidates or make them go before an oral interview with a physiologist .

Furthermore;, the vast majority of NYPD candidate disqualifications are upheld by the CSC. Even in rare cases, when the CSC rules in favor of the applicant over the department--the City has the right to take the contested matter into State Supreme Court--which often they will do. Candidate disqualification appeals cost $$$$ and attorneys practicing this type of law don't come cheap!! More so, these attorneys will tell you 'you have a solid case against the city' but before they will proceed with the appeal they will ask you for their legal fees UPFRONT. I would venture you spent close to TEN grand in legal fees that made a law firm happy but did not get you the NYPD position you were seeking.
                      Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 07-26-2014, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Deleted!!!!
                        Last edited by PoliceSeeker; 07-26-2014, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Yes, Vista; the NYPD hiring process is not perfect but it is quite standardized in gathering background data in hiring and evaluating potential police officer candidates. For your information; NYPD candidate background investigations are "sealed" records. These records, and the particulars contained in them, are NOT made available to the general public or to another police agency. NYPD does not participate in other police agencies' background investigations of their candidates. You place great emphasis on physiological testing of police candidates and the potential damage of a 'physiological disqualification'. Yet, most of your medium to smaller sized Law Enforcement Agencies do not perform physiological testing on their candidates or make them go before an oral interview with a physiologist .

Furthermore;, the vast majority of NYPD candidate disqualifications are upheld by the CSC. Even in rare cases, when the CSC rules in favor of the applicant over the department--the City has the right to take the contested matter into State Supreme Court--which often they will do. Candidate disqualification appeals cost $$$$ and attorneys practicing this type of law don't come cheap!! More so, these attorneys will tell you 'you have a solid case against the city' but before they will proceed with the appeal they will ask you for their legal fees UPFRONT. I would venture you spent close to TEN grand in legal fees that made a law firm happy but did not get you the NYPD position you were seeking.
                          Dinosaur32, you can chime in on this response if you want.

Comment

Yet, most of your medium to smaller sized Law Enforcement Agencies do not perform physiological testing on their candidates or make them go before an oral interview with a physiologist.
                            Sorry but you're wrong on that. Tell me one agency today that doesn't give candidates a psychological exam. The psych is one of the key phases of determining whether a candidate is suitable for the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by LINY View Post
                              Sorry but you're wrong on that. Tell me one agency today that doesn't give candidates a psychological exam. The psych is one of the key phases of determining whether a candidate is suitable for the job.
                              Hint LINY: rural upstate small town New York and down South. Mine does the non-binding written Minnesota Multiphasic personality Inventory (MMPI). This is given AFTER being hired. The town I live in uses part-time police officers and the town don't do "psych testing" for new hires.

Comment

Hint LINY: rural upstate small town New York and down South. Mine does the non-binding written Minnesota Multiphasic personality Inventory (MMPI). This is given AFTER being hired. The town I live in uses part-time police officers and the town don't do "psych testing" for new hires.
                                If that is true that is just asking for trouble. You're quick to mention liability regarding the auxiliary police program in other threads but not giving a police officer any sort of 'psych testing' is a much bigger liability issue.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6806 users online. 245 members and 6561 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X