Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by wnt2bacop View Post
    Seems to me like this thread is full of people who were DQ'ed for a legitimate purpose, and are just upset about it.

    The job isn't for everyone. Everybody makes mistakes, but not everyone deserves to be a cop.

    DWI's, poor work history, etc, etc. You guys/gals may have a screw loose, because it shouldn't be a surprise you were DQ'ed!!!!

    Take it in stride, go ahead and appeal. But do yourselves a favor, and come to terms with the fact that this job isn't for you.
    As Vista mentioned, the NYPD has extremely strict psychological standards. Almost everyone I know who went through the process for NYPD ended up discontinued or disqualified. One guy I know got written up in college for alcohol in his room that wasn't his, and was DQ'd solely on that. The few people I know who did pass in my opinion are the ones who have no business in law enforcement, lol. I ended up discontinued myself after realizing I wasn't going to meet their standards and didn't bother continuing with the process, but I ended up passing other psychological's afterwards for 2 different departments and was hired by one.

    For everyone else wondering about the psych, the best advice anyone can give you about the psych is that it's a job interview. It's not a place to talk about your problems and you have to sell yourself as you would with any job interview.
    Last edited by LINY; 07-20-2014, 12:40 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by wnt2bacop View Post
      Seems to me like this thread is full of people who were DQ'ed for a legitimate purpose, and are just upset about it.

      The job isn't for everyone. Everybody makes mistakes, but not everyone deserves to be a cop.

      DWI's, poor work history, etc, etc. You guys/gals may have a screw loose, because it shouldn't be a surprise you were DQ'ed!!!!

      Take it in stride, go ahead and appeal. But do yourselves a favor, and come to terms with the fact that this job isn't for you.
      Being DQed for physiological or character background issues by NYPD does not necessary mean the candidate would be an unacceptable police officer. There are applicants who have been disqualified and/or terminated by NYPD who went on to other police agencies. Hiring standards vary from agency to agency and the only absolute bar to appointment is conviction of a felony. The rest of the hiring process is deemed discretionary by the appointing officer.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by vm0710 View Post
        Hey Vista i havent been on here since 2012 when i got disqualified. Ive been fighting the case. I was arrested in 2006 for dui which was dropped to just a violation, a non criminal record. My psych doc dqd me cause she said i had a dwi. Now im at that stage where the civil service commission ordered the nypd to show proof the dwi i dont have. Do u think i have a chance???
        Many police agencies will NOT hire an applicant with a DWI arrest. It doesn't matter that you plea bargained the DWI down to DWAI [driving while ability is impaired] (traffic infraction). All NYPD has to show the civil service commission is that you were originally arrested for DWI and to resolve that misdemeanor charge you plead guilty to a lesser charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. Hopefully, the rest of your character background is pristine.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
          Many police agencies will NOT hire an applicant with a DWI arrest. It doesn't matter that you plea bargained the DWI down to DWAI [driving while ability is impaired] (traffic infraction). All NYPD has to show the civil service commission is that you were originally arrested for DWI and to resolve that misdemeanor charge you plead guilty to a lesser charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. Hopefully, the rest of your character background is pristine.
          The fact that CSC is questioning NYPDs legal brief is a good thing. As far As the character portion goes, as lonf as a alcohol offense isnover 5,years old- that BY ITSELF is not enough for. A DQ accordinf to their driver requirement worksheet that your investigator fill fill out
          Problems with a psych exam?
          Have an upcoming
          PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?


          If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
          you make up your mind.
          WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM



          Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

          Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
          http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

          Comment


          • Post deleted
            Last edited by Vista; 07-26-2014, 07:32 AM.
            Problems with a psych exam?
            Have an upcoming
            PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?


            If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
            you make up your mind.
            WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM



            Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

            Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
            http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

            Comment


            • By the way, some NYPD Psychologists arent even doctors. some of them are people who have a masters in psychology who work under a locensed psychologist. So, their not even all really qualified.
              Problems with a psych exam?
              Have an upcoming
              PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?


              If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
              you make up your mind.
              WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM



              Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

              Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
              http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Vista View Post
                The fact that CSC is questioning NYPDs legal brief is a good thing. As far As the character portion goes, as lonf as a alcohol offense isnover 5,years old- that BY ITSELF is not enough for. A DQ according to their driver requirement worksheet that your investigator fill fill out
                Depends on what you call an "alcohol offense". Driving while intoxicated does indicate a serious lack of judgement. Again, police agencies do have broad discreation in making appointments. Most of your larger metropolitan police departments have strict hiring and retention guidelines.

                From what I read from your previous posting; the NYC CSC upheld NYPD's determination of you being DQed on character issues--i.e your driving history. You might want to look at other police agencies out-of state. A stable employment history will go a long way in proving to appointing officers you're responsible and that the DWI arrest was an "isolated incident" never again to be repeated.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Vista View Post
                  By the way, some NYPD Psychologists arent even doctors. some of them are people who have a masters in psychology who work under a locensed psychologist. So, their not even all really qualified.

                  There is no requirement in New York State that Psychologists have to be licensed physicians. On the other hand, psychiatrists are licensed physicians and can prescribe psych meds.

                  Comment


                  • Vista.......You do not know what the former employers wrote to your BI......you do not know what the records submitted by the schools show. You put a nice spin on your application, but the truth is you weren't DQ'd only for a poor driving record. You were DQ'd for character faults that were not acceptable to the NYPD. You are giving out information that might lead others to start a process that usually is not winnable.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                      Vista.......You do not know what the former employers wrote to your BI......you do not know what the records submitted by the schools show. You put a nice spin on your application, but the truth is you weren't DQ'd only for a poor driving record. You were DQ'd for character faults that were not acceptable to the NYPD. You are giving out information that might lead others to start a process that usually is not winnable.


                      Good advice, Lt.!!! I don't know why former NYPD police candidates come on these forums to complain about being disqualified from getting hired. It will neither change anything in their favor nor will it cause them to get NYPD to reconsider them. The only option is either move on or move out.

                      Comment


                      • been hanging around for a few years and I never seen Vista post anything but helpful information and his experience. Which the majority of us are looking for.

                        Comment


                        • If you are granted a second interview; how long from the initial psych oral do you get called in for it?
                          NYPD Exam 2326
                          List - 14**

                          Initial Med- Finished
                          Written Psych- Finished
                          Oral Psych- Done, Review?
                          JST- ??
                          Mini Med- ??
                          Meet with BI- August

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by InTheProcess13 View Post
                            been hanging around for a few years and I never seen Vista post anything but helpful information and his experience. Which the majority of us are looking for.
                            Keep in mind the information Vista put out on this forum is from a subjective viewpoint-his!! Yes, he does want to work for NYPD but NYPD does not want him as they deemed him "not qualified" according to their established standards. His circumstances does not represent an absolute bar to law enforcement employment. Perhaps his situation might change in the unforeseen future with a different agency.

                            Comment


                            • I also have some concerns about the "advertisements" Vista lists at the bottom of his posts. Why is he advertising professionals? It gives the appearance that these "pros" can successfully challenge a DQ. He certainly was not DQ'd simply for a bad driving recod. As County Correction Oficer rightfully notes, the DQ came from the totality of his app. He went abit overboard with his snide remark about the psychologists. Many are not doctors, either medical or PhDs and make excellent witnesses in court. I continue to stress that on threads like this one, posters should only post what they know to be accurate info. And thread readers should look carefully at what is written and by which members. There are number of veteran LEOs posting here. Their comments should be welcomed.
                              Last edited by Dinosaur32; 07-25-2014, 09:50 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                                I also have some concerns about the "advertisements" Vista lists at the bottom of his posts. Why is he advertising professionals? It gives the appearance that these "pros" can successfully challenge a DQ. He certainly was not DQ'd simply for a bad driving recod. As County Correction Oficer rightfully notes, the DQ came from the totality of his app. He went abit overboard with his snide remark about the psychologists. Many are not doctors, either medical or PhDs and make excellent witnesses in court. I continue to stress that on threads like this one, posters should only post what they know to be accurate info. And thread readers should look carefully at what is written and by which members. There are number of veteran LEOs posting here. Their comments should be welcomed.
                                Lt., A lot of it [disqualified NYPD candidates posting on these forums] appears to be bitterness towards the system that rejected them. Appointing authorities have a broad latitude in selecting candidates for appointment given the sensitive nature of law enforcement positions.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5536 users online. 349 members and 5187 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X