Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nyc7011 View Post
    Don't hold your breath. Psychiatric drug use is a huge red flag.
    Let me know of the appeal does work out although I would advise you not to get your hopes up amd pursue other career options.
    That's not entirely true, My friend took adderall from 7th - 9th grade brought his documents to the psych and passed it with ease. There has to be something else there, besides the use of drugs. It's something crazy like 1/4 kids in that generation(late 80s - early 90s) was prescribed some type of medication for ADHD.

Comment

• Originally posted by PoliceSeeker View Post
      That's not entirely true, My friend took adderall from 7th - 9th grade brought his documents to the psych and passed it with ease. There has to be something else there, besides the use of drugs. It's something crazy like 1/4 kids in that generation(late 80s - early 90s) was prescribed some type of medication for ADHD.
      Actually, it is true. Psychiatric drug use is a huge red flag and cause for automatic review pending the receipt of additional documentation and/or follow-up interviews. I never said it is an automatic DQ. I said it is a red flag, WHICH IT IS. Generally, the concern lies in the underlying diagnosis that required the medication in the first place. Many, many more who use these drugs are DQ than those who do not.

Comment

• Originally posted by nyc7011 View Post
        Actually, it is true. Psychiatric drug use is a huge red flag and cause for automatic review pending the receipt of additional documentation and/or follow-up interviews. I never said it is an automatic DQ. I said it is a red flag, WHICH IT IS. Generally, the concern lies in the underlying diagnosis that required the medication in the first place. Many, many more who use these drugs are DQ than those who do not.
        I agree any mental drug.. seeing a psychologist is a red flag for review but not automatic disqualification. Obviously they will need your records on it but its also how you explain yourself why you were on it. just like NYC said. I mean adderal.. Ritalin etc etc.. al ot of kids were on it. Its all how you sell it.. I mean if you took Ritalin/ adderal when you were 12-14 not a big deal. You gotta sell it. for example.. lets say I stopped taking Ritalin when iw as in 9th grade. I would tell them I graduated highschool without needing it. I graduated college without needing it. I am currently holding a full time job without needing it. I can make decision on a daily basis without the need of that medication. I might've even been misdiagnoses when I was a kid for having a need for it. Obviously your records should show that lol.

Comment

• I SAW THIS POST IN ANOTHER POST AND IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. I THINK THAT YOU GUYS AND GALS THAT HAVE BEEN THROUGH DQ SHOULD FIGHT IT. GOD BLESS....

i don't think it makes much sense to take the test again, youll have to take the test, pass it, do the processings, and then if you have the same disqualification or a pending on your case itll still be there no matter how many times you take the test, not like one day you have an arrest and the next time you take the test its gone. Or the reason why you failed will show up again right? Not like your social security number can change?

Comment

• Originally posted by LEO2010 View Post
            I SAW THIS POST IN ANOTHER POST AND IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. I THINK THAT YOU GUYS AND GALS THAT HAVE BEEN THROUGH DQ SHOULD FIGHT IT. GOD BLESS....

i don't think it makes much sense to take the test again, youll have to take the test, pass it, do the processings, and then if you have the same disqualification or a pending on your case itll still be there no matter how many times you take the test, not like one day you have an arrest and the next time you take the test its gone. Or the reason why you failed will show up again right? Not like your social security number can change?
            Its not pointless to take it again, but you really have to analyze why you think you would pass this time. If it was something like they felt you were immature or your driving record, if its been 3/4 years and you've managed to hold down steady employment, clean driving record, or graduate college etc etc. sometimes you can have a good shot of passing in my opinion. And it really depends on every individual psych. They may look at your original dq and they might not of dq'd you in the first place. But, if you REALLY want LE job, theres 50 states in this country and they all have multiple police departments. I know the glory of the NYPD is appealing after watching too many episodes of L&O SVU (lol joking with you don't get antsy), but its worth it to look around. Best of luck to everybody.
            Living the dream...

Comment

• I'm new here and just took the NYPD exam scoring a 95%. I've read all replies on this thread and by the way, very helpful and informative so thank you all.

I'm a Marine combat vet and got out in 2007 after doing 8 years in the Corps. After Iraq in 2003, I was diagnos with PTSD. I went through years with therapy and medication while in the Corps. I was stationed at Quantico after the war and became a combat instructor for four years. Teaching and instructing new boot Marine officers on weapons and tactics. Ten years later, I'm in a good place in my life now and the war is in the past. I finally followed my dream and applied to the NYPD. I know after reading this thread that I'm a red flag and considered by so called "experts" that I might be a liability to the dept, which I am not. I'm going to continue to keep my hopes up and if I get called for my psych eval, I'm going to be honest and proud of the man I am today. That I'm not damaged goods and that I'm an asset to the NYPD. I know I probably don't have a shot and that opinions doesn't matter or will change their minds. But I'm not going to back down for my dream to be in the NYPD. I'm sorry for my long post but I needed to get it off my chest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cipher0352 View Post
                I'm new here and just took the NYPD exam scoring a 95%. I've read all replies on this thread and by the way, very helpful and informative so thank you all.

I'm a Marine combat vet and got out in 2007 after doing 8 years in the Corps. After Iraq in 2003, I was diagnos with PTSD. I went through years with therapy and medication while in the Corps. I was stationed at Quantico after the war and became a combat instructor for four years. Teaching and instructing new boot Marine officers on weapons and tactics. Ten years later, I'm in a good place in my life now and the war is in the past. I finally followed my dream and applied to the NYPD. I know after reading this thread that I'm a red flag and considered by so called "experts" that I might be a liability to the dept, which I am not. I'm going to continue to keep my hopes up and if I get called for my psych eval, I'm going to be honest and proud of the man I am today. That I'm not damaged goods and that I'm an asset to the NYPD. I know I probably don't have a shot and that opinions doesn't matter or will change their minds. But I'm not going to back down for my dream to be in the NYPD. I'm sorry for my long post but I needed to get it off my chest.
                Thank you for your service to our country. I think you will be just fine go into this whole process with the attitude like that and you'll be able to reach your dream.
                NYPD Exam: 1309
                List: 4XX
                Test Date: 12/10
                APD: 8/12
                Med: 4/13
                Written Psych: 4/13
                Oral Psych: 4/13
                BI Initial Interview:4/13
                JST:6/13
                Round 2: 9/13
                BI: In Progress
                Mini Med:6/13
                Round 2: 10/13

Academy: January 2014

NYS Trooper Exam
                Test Date: 10/13

Patience is Key

Comment

I'm new here and just took the NYPD exam scoring a 95%. I've read all replies on this thread and by the way, very helpful and informative so thank you all.

I wish you the best! You have my respect at the very least! BE PROUD BROTHER! THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Comment

Thank you for your service, I wish you the best of Luck in the process, and Im sure you will do just fine, Sir!!! You will be a great asset to NYPD, and it will be an HONOR serving the City aside you, Sir!!!
                    NYPD Exam 1315
                    APD-5: submitted
                    Initial Medical: done
                    Social Media: done
                    Written Psych: done
                    Oral Psych: done
                    BI: done
                    JST: done

Patiently awaiting that dream job !!!
                    Courtesy Professionalism ​Respect

NYPD from A to Z ( click on the link below)
                    http://www.thewatchscene.com/2012/12...nypd-from-a-z/
                    Always remembered ...
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/21042-de...eter-j-figoski

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

sigpic

Comment

• Hey Cipher, Turn on you PM brother. Our story is very similar. Semper.
                      "Any nation that does not honor it's heroes will not long endure"
                      -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Ok guys I know this is a speculation question but I want to see some other peoples opinion other then my own...SO, I was on psych review and I had to send in some records. After the records were sent, I called once every couple days and same answer: You're still on psych review. On Monday I got called to go in for a second interview and went on Tuesday. Overall I thought it went fairly well. Called later that day, still on review. Called yesterday, still on review. Called today, gave them my social as usual and the officer responded something along the lines of, you already started the process so whats the problem? I said I wanted to know if I'm still on psych review. Now in the past they have just instantly said on psych review. Since they have the information right in front of them all the other times I assume that if I was still on review thats what he would of said. I asked if I was still on review and today the response was, we don't give that information over the phone. Then I call my investigator and her response was, if theres any problems they will notify you by mail. Based on the response from the initial officer at APD Candidate Relations I think I am off but didn't really get a definitive answer. Any thoughts? I appreciate any opinions, and of course, any information that ends up being incorrect I understand completely, as like I stated earlier its merely speculation. Thanks!
                        Living the dream...

Comment

• Originally posted by FullMetal View Post
                          Hey Cipher, Turn on you PM brother. Our story is very similar. Semper.
                          I turned it on. Contact me anytime bro

Comment

• Some info that may of been recommended already but figured I would just enlighten some people. Many times when the psych department asks you to send records they will call you in for a second interview. If you can, try to get copies of EVERYTHING that is sent to the psych. That way when you go for the second interview, theres nothing for them to hide from you. You are looking at the same exact paper work that they are. Makes it a lot harder for them to lie and trip you up.
                            Living the dream...

Comment

• Hey, does anyone know how long it usually takes to finally get the decision (whatever the decision may be) after being on psych hold?
                              NYPD
                              Exam #1305 List #1xxx
                              APD-5- 03.06.12
                              Med-
                              Oral-
                              Psych-
                              JST-
                              Academy-

Comment

• You are probably referring to psych review. Its indefinite. Once you start getting closer to 2 months you should start expecting a dq letter and maybe start consulting with some lawyers if you plan to appeal. PM me if you want.
                                Living the dream...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8421 users online. 325 members and 8096 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X